The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injury] Jonathan Quick Out Indefinitely (Grade 2 Groin Strain)

Jonathan Quick has a Grade 2 groin strain, according to Los Angeles Kings coach Darryl Sutter (via Lisa Dillman), as an MRI revealed this week.

The goaltender has started rehabbing the injury. There’s no timetable for his return.

So what’s a Grade 2 strain mean? It’s a partial or moderate tear of the muscles in the groin. Most of the references we’ve found for the injury mark the recovery time at 4-to-6 weeks, but there’s been no prognosis yet for Quick.

What does this mean for the Los Angeles Kings? It’s Ben Scrivens time!

"We're obviously confident in him. We haven't seen him play that much. his start on the road this year was a shutout in Florida. He's been in three times and played really well for us off the bench, so we're looking forward to seeing him,” said Sutter on Thursday.

Is there a marked difference between the two as puck-handlers?

"There's an elite four or five guys in the league that play it as good as defensemen, everybody else plays it just about the same. I think that Jonathan and Ben would play it just about the same. The difference always is communication,” said Sutter.

That said, he’s no Jonathan Bernier, who rescued the Kings last season when Quick struggled.

The Kings are fifth in the Pacific and ninth in the West with 23 points. Obviously, losing Quick for a long duration could impact that; and in the Western Conference, you might not be able to afford a bad month.

Now, what does this mean for Quick’s place on the U.S. Olympic team?

Quick was a de facto leader for the starting job with Team USA for Sochi entering the season. His numbers haven’t been stellar, but one expects he’ll still be one of the three goalies the Americans carry if he’s healthy.

(But let’s acknowledge, for a moment, the irony in Quick being injured in a game this week against the Buffalo Sabres, in front of the chief competition for that job, Ryan Miller, whose played outstanding so far.)

Miller, Jimmy Howard, Ben Bishop, Craig Anderson and Cory Schneider are all in the conversation for Sochi. How much time Quick loses to this injury, knowing the U.S. is going to go with the hot hand, complicates that decision-making process.

Additional reporting by Sean Leahy.

Huge loss for the Kings and possibly Team USA if it's that bad.

Goaltending has to be one of the toughest positions in hockey. There are so many goalies that do really well, and then you never hear from them again. That's why I admire guys like Brodeur who have staying power, and remain consistent for years.

I'm not saying Quick is finished as a goalie. But it's really tough to be great night in and night out.

Without Luongo the Canucks are still something.

Hmmmm ill admit quick is more valuable to the kings than luongo is to the canucks.

Lets see how quick does after this groin injury though... my money says hell never be the same. Hopefully for us!

I know, right? They only have: Kopitar, Williams, Brown, Carter, Richards, Muzzin, Doughty, Voynov, Mitchell, Greene, Regehr.

I dont get your pooint...

You named good players on aa team ... ok my turn giroux hartnell voracek lecavalier Simmons's coutourier, Schenm...

Quick ALWAYS keeps them in games they shouldn't be in and they eventually score.

Happened for their full cup run and countless times in the regular season. They need quick

Quick ALWAYS keeps them in games they shouldn't be in and they eventually score.

Happened for their full cup run and countless times in the regular season. They need quick

LA has as many goals as us in less games.

If the Kings are nothing without Quick (who hasn't even played well this season), we must be utter trash.

Remember how they absolutely manhandled us 5-1 just a week ago as well?

LA is a good team, sorry to break it to you.

LA has as many goals as us in less games.

If the Kings are nothing without Quick (who hasn't even played well this season), we must be utter trash.

Remember how they absolutely manhandled us 5-1 just a week ago as well?

LA is a good team, sorry to break it to you.

Quick kept them in it and they eventually started scoring.

I dont go by stats. i watch the games and quick is usually holding down the fort in games they dont belong in and they eventually score and win. Pretty much all that happened when they won the cup

Its a fine line between being 700 team than a team under 500. Kings without quick would be under 500.

Quick is the only reason they beat us in 2012 too.

Luongo often does the same for us but the goal support isn't always there. Quick does it for them more often and they eventually wake up in games.

They can't beat us in a 7 game series anymore. They shouldn't have on 2012 either... as soon as Daniel came back we were clearly the better team

When Luo started having his groin problems he adapted his game to have the belly flop instead of doing the splits. The way Quick plays I always thought he was going to run into groin problems hopefully he can recover and get back into form. He is one of if not the leagues best goalie right now.

Archived