The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When the good get going...

HKSR

I'm bored at work, so here's my take on what I believe will happen from this point forward with the Canucks.

Here we are, 1/4 of the way through the season. If the playoffs started today, the Canucks would be on the outside looking in. I'm not surprised though. Here's why.

For the first 15 games of this season, let's admit one thing. The Canucks have worked hard. They've worked very hard. They've literally out-worked their opponents to put together a winning record. However, there's a big problem with this. We haven't "out-talented" our opponents.

What we're likely to see as the season moves forward, those top tier teams are going to begin showing their true colours. They'll begin to work harder, and harder, and harder as they push to position themselves as best as possible for the playoff run. The really scary part is that they'll likely turn it up another notch in the playoffs.

Facing reality, this current Canucks team that lacks a true 2nd line, and an effective 4th line, will likely work hard all year under Torts, but the elite teams will likely match the Canucks' hard work, which basically results in a talent vs talent battle. We'll lose most of the games when that happens.

Sometimes, the opposition talent in itself is enough to win games for the opposition. Think about the number of times already this season where the Canucks have outshot, outhit, and outplayed the opposition, only to see another loss in their column. When the Canucks were legitimate Cup contenders in the past few years, we saw the Canucks do this quite often. The Canucks found ways to win while being seriously outplayed. Nowadays, the opposite is true.

Anyways, just my thoughts. My prediction, this is about where the Canucks will be most of the season. Battling for the final playoff spot come season's end (unless Gillis injects a legitimate 2nd line forward, with the trickle-down effect resulting in an effective 4th line).

Sometimes it's not always in the cards, and you can't win the Cup every year. We really went all-in a few years ago to try and win the Cup, and again the following year. We're not rebuilding this year, but we're trying to remain competitive. It's a weird spot to be in.

I think our odds will just be better in a few years once our young guys are ready. You look at a team like San Jose, who's perenially been a team that succeeds in the regular season, but falters in the off-season, and they have guys like Couture and Hertl thriving in their lineup. Once we can get guys like that on our team pulling their weight, like Kassian, Jensen, Shinkaruk, whomever, we'll have the proper mix of veterans and youth to get the job done.

As for right now, we're working hard, but we don't have the pieces, and I don't think we should really try to go hard this year and win the Cup when other teams look so much better. We'll be there soon enough, just not now.

As long as they make the playoffs(which we will) anything can happen. I am more excited to see what they can do in the playoffs this year then I was thru '11-'13. Hard work will and should triumph over skill in the postseason, and now we have a coach that can adapt and hopefully outcoach our opposition. I am not worried about the standings now, Phx and Col. will tail off and hard. Sure it would be awesome to add to our roster and subtract what isn't needed(Booth) but I am not worried as our defense, goaltending and penalty kill is doing great. Hopefully we can be the Kings of 2 years ago and sneak in at 8th seed and win it all baby.

Need to get Burrows, Booth, Hansen, and Schroeder making contributions then this team can be accurately assessed.

Were not the dominant force anymore....but one or two good acquisitions as well as contributions from the aforementioned players and we can still challenge for the cup.

Put it this way, a guys like Dubinksy or SImmonds would make the forward goup better. Problem is, what do the Canucks have to get those players? Is it worth it? Are these teams GM's even willing to move their players without throttling the Canucks in a deal? Can these players fit under the cap?

I love how CDC cry and whine and blah blah blah about trades but the reality is it is much more complicated than that, especially when trading for a significant player. Better option is just to hope the current roster can rise to the occasion. Very good young players are coming up.

I'm bored at work, so here's my take on what I believe will happen from this point forward with the Canucks.

Here we are, 1/4 of the way through the season. If the playoffs started today, the Canucks would be on the outside looking in. I'm not surprised though. Here's why.

For the first 15 games of this season, let's admit one thing. The Canucks have worked hard. They've worked very hard. They've literally out-worked their opponents to put together a winning record. However, there's a big problem with this. We haven't "out-talented" our opponents.

What we're likely to see as the season moves forward, those top tier teams are going to begin showing their true colours. They'll begin to work harder, and harder, and harder as they push to position themselves as best as possible for the playoff run. The really scary part is that they'll likely turn it up another notch in the playoffs.

Facing reality, this current Canucks team that lacks a true 2nd line, and an effective 4th line, will likely work hard all year under Torts, but the elite teams will likely match the Canucks' hard work, which basically results in a talent vs talent battle. We'll lose most of the games when that happens.

Sometimes, the opposition talent in itself is enough to win games for the opposition. Think about the number of times already this season where the Canucks have outshot, outhit, and outplayed the opposition, only to see another loss in their column. When the Canucks were legitimate Cup contenders in the past few years, we saw the Canucks do this quite often. The Canucks found ways to win while being seriously outplayed. Nowadays, the opposite is true.

Anyways, just my thoughts. My prediction, this is about where the Canucks will be most of the season. Battling for the final playoff spot come season's end (unless Gillis injects a legitimate 2nd line forward, with the trickle-down effect resulting in an effective 4th line).

Did we not try the talent/skill will over-power all? Yes we tried that and we saw that hard-working teams will beat talented ones in the playoffs. So now we have a better ballance of skill, speed, grit and work ethic; but you say that this format will not work with the current trend of cup-winners. I have to disagree with you. I think that this change in energy, coaching philosophy and just hard work, will pay off in spades come April.

I think people are overlooking a small, but incredibly important detail - the team currently has the 27th ranked PP in the league. If they brought that percentage up to even the top 1/3 in the league - well you can do the math - they'd likely have several more wins already this year and being a borderline playoff team wouldn't even be a discussion. They've lost 4 games this year already by 1 goal (including shoot-outs) which projects to roughly 15 games this season they'll lose by 1 goal (these are quick/rough calculations). PP can make or break in the NHL and for the Canucks it's breaking them so far.

The question is whether the problem with the PP is personnel or coaching? Considering we have roughly the same PP group as 11-12 (when the team had a top 5 PP in the NHL) one has to think it's either age of the players and/or coaching.

I think people are overlooking a small, but incredibly important detail - the team currently has the 27th ranked PP in the league.

Considering we have roughly the same PP group as 11-12 (when the team had a top 5 PP in the NHL) one has to think it's either age of the players and/or coaching.

PP:

Last year:15.8% -23rd in the NHL and finish 9th overall

Two years ago:19.8% -3rd in the NHL and finish first overall

Three years ago: 24.3% -1st in the NHL and finish first overall

Sami and Christian -1/2 punch gone.

I hope Gillis goes out and gets us a legitimate second line player. I'm tired of having a team full of third liners....

I know everybody likes to think Edler could be moved in a deal for a second line player but have you ever heard of a player waiving his ntc immediately after getting it in his contract? I haven't. Every contract of significance has an ntc attached to it except Booth who really has no trade value. Player don't waive their ntc because fans would like to see it happen. They typically waive it because they are not happy with their situation whether it's losing, location, or conflict with coach or management. I don't see any of those applying to any of our players with ntc's. So....

1 - What can be traded to get a legitimate second line player?

2 - Where will the cap space come from to fit that player in?

I'm afraid the notion of getting a second line producer through trade is not in the cards this year. Should Booth not come close to form this year he will likely be bought out in the offseason which will create some cap space for next year. But for this year we have what we have.

I think people are overlooking a small, but incredibly important detail - the team currently has the 27th ranked PP in the league. If they brought that percentage up to even the top 1/3 in the league - well you can do the math - they'd likely have several more wins already this year and being a borderline playoff team wouldn't even be a discussion. They've lost 4 games this year already by 1 goal (including shoot-outs) which projects to roughly 15 games this season they'll lose by 1 goal (these are quick/rough calculations). PP can make or break in the NHL and for the Canucks it's breaking them so far.

The question is whether the problem with the PP is personnel or coaching? Considering we have roughly the same PP group as 11-12 (when the team had a top 5 PP in the NHL) one has to think it's either age of the players and/or coaching.

I agree......a few tweaks and we're right up there. Get the PP going and get guys scoring that should be and the team will be turned around.

Sometimes it's not always in the cards, and you can't win the Cup every year. We really went all-in a few years ago to try and win the Cup, and again the following year. We're not rebuilding this year, but we're trying to remain competitive. It's a weird spot to be in.

I think our odds will just be better in a few years once our young guys are ready. You look at a team like San Jose, who's perenially been a team that succeeds in the regular season, but falters in the off-season, and they have guys like Couture and Hertl thriving in their lineup. Once we can get guys like that on our team pulling their weight, like Kassian, Jensen, Shinkaruk, whomever, we'll have the proper mix of veterans and youth to get the job done.

As for right now, we're working hard, but we don't have the pieces, and I don't think we should really try to go hard this year and win the Cup when other teams look so much better. We'll be there soon enough, just not now.

Exactly! Play it out! If a great trade opportunity comes up then take it; otherwise, ride it out; play hard; hopefully get into the playoffs and whatever happens, happens! Next yr we have lots of young studs, booth gone, cap goes up; future looks bright; with right decisions by Gillis and any or all young guys step up then we will be in much better shape next year

This is all very true. A good description of playoff hockey. Everyone battles so much that it starts being a will vs. will battle with everyone making their checks. The hockey becomes quite simple. Goals are scored by missed assignments and skilled players being able to convert when they get a half chance.

Exactly! Play it out! If a great trade opportunity comes up then take it; otherwise, ride it out; play hard; hopefully get into the playoffs and whatever happens, happens! Next yr we have lots of young studs, booth gone, cap goes up; future looks bright; with right decisions by Gillis and any or all young guys step up then we will be in much better shape next year

LA squeaked into the playoffs and they won a Stanley Cup. VAN just has to make the playoffs & go from there.

Archived