The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

just another checkride. or not...

aeromotacanucks

Fly can be delightfull and calm right?

take your seat and enjoy the plane going up to the skies and cross the clouds fast and seeing the ground far away.

yeah. but what happen when the Pilot is being examinated/checked/tested to keep his/her license valid?

well. that´s what happened with me today. It was supposed to be only 1 hour flight with the examiner Pilot checking your skills. BUT the air traffic control...

here´s the full story.

woke up at 5AM, drove to the airport to praper the airplane, fill the flightplan and try study something. the traffic was nice since it´s holiday today, the sky was clear but the wheather changes very fast.

the airplane was ok, fully prepared, full fuel tanks, flight plan done one hour before. the examiner Pilot arrived, we discused the procedures hopping the ATC would give us a try to do what we wanted...

aham. maybe in USA, not in Brazil...

the airport tower confused and the communication was weak, we had to taxi the aircraft to the main taxiway to have a better radio signal and request the clearances. our requets were denied and we were imposed other procedures and we accepted (we had no choice).

engine checks near the runway were ok. the airplane was working fine, emergency briefings done and checked. passengers don´t have any idea what a Pilot´s emergency briefing/instructions are. really, if a passenger listen they would be pretty confused because we say "if that thing fails we have to do this..." etc...

sky clear and we took-off, the sky was clear but the air was heavily turbulent and windy, I couldn´t keep the same altitude for more than 30 seconds, the Piper Turbo Arrow (P28T) requires a lot of attention triming the airplane...

the Air Traffic Control refused to cooperate, we told them it was a checkride but they didn´t care about us, we´ve told to depart north then head south for the instrument approach on the main airport, after 25 Miles climbing we were vetored south for another 50 miles, the air was bumpy and windy and the static and interference on the radio communication was terrible, there was a cellphone noise on the background and we couldn´t listen the ATC perfectly...

an Argentinian Airplane was there speaking something that looked like english but with a terrible spanish accent, the ATC wasn´t better with "the book´s on the table English", I was angry because the argentinian plane was congesting the whole air traffic and for some moments I wanted say on the radio, in English "dude, what a f#&$ are you doing man!? speak english properly on the ATC or speak in spanish, you´re screwing the entire traffic!"

but there was another small airplane requesting landing and the Pilot was lost and confused, he was requesting permission to disembark the passenger without having parking space on the airport and the ATC was trying to find space for him...

meanwhile the ATC instructed us to hold in the middle of nowhere in the mountains 50 miles away from anything, we were holding there for 25 minutes spending fuel, energy and the examiner Pilot was demanding more and more things and i was trying to fly the airplane on the way he wanted and follow the ATC instructions...

Finnaly we received vectors to land, or something like this. another hold near the airport to give way to an Airbus A320 landing 50 knots faster than us, who cares! 25 minutes holding at 7000 feet, another 15 minutes holding at 6000 feet will not hurt anybody more than before!

after more 15 minutes holding we were finally cleared to finish the approach and touch and go. the air was even more bumpy and windy, the land wasn´t that wonderful thing but considering the options and conditions it was a nice one...

airbone again and more and more trouble with the ATC, the weather and what God could screw my flight.

another vectors to finish the flight, more turbulence, more wind, more ATC screwing my flight and more holding but at least the argentinian plane was gone...

more 10 minutes holding, more stupid vectors to finish the approach and who I wished I could see my GPS but the examiner Pilot didn´t allow (he was using my GPS), it could be much easier for me If i was allowed to use my GPS to check my position!

finished my flight with a bounced landing due to a windshear on landing flare, the plane bounced 3 times. I applied full brakes to clear the runway fast but the examiner told "use the hole runway and don´t force the brakes". damm who was flying the machine? me or he?

oh yeah. I passed! at least I got good news after this mess...

so next time you complain about flight delays and why the airplane isn´t flying yet remember this thing:

the guys inside the cockpit are at least 4 times more upsted than you. do you think we like when the Air Traffic Control screw everything? hell no!

Hey, at least it's warm in Brazil. You could be stuck flying an NDB approach in a blizzard to some arctic craphole to deliver the government supplied chips and pop to the natives. :)

when we took-off was 10 Celsius and windy here...

and I delivered supplies and other things in the jungle to mineration industries (I was bush pilot for more than 4 years)...

God dammit how I hate NDB approaches! you try center them but the ADF (NDB receiver) never stop, a hold over an NDB is a nightmare!

SID-Departure

http://www.aisweb.aer.mil.br/download/?arquivo=3ba65438-4fd4-1031-95e7-72567f175e3a

easy one, take-off and intercept radial 015. when the ATC is working you don´t have to worry about it. normally before reach "Tuna" you receive vectors for what you want...

ILS-Z 33 (1st approach)

http://www.aisweb.aer.mil.br/download/?arquivo=c5d1f644-3de7-1030-95e7-72567f175e3a

15 minutes holding on that NDB! imagine 15 minutes holding 6 miles away from the airport, we were seeing the runway but NOOOOOOOO! IFR checkride so IFR procedures. the ATC was screwed today...

VOR 36 (final approach)

http://www.aisweb.aer.mil.br/download/?arquivo=c089c50e-3de7-1030-95e7-72567f175e3a

a downhill procedure, decending almost 3000 feet in less than 7 miles, on a calm air it was ok but on a turbulent air it can be a hard working task. and of course the ATC must work properly to give vectors for that or you´re screwed...

I looked at the charts for SBBI. Have you done the VOR-D Y to 36? That one looks like it could be a pain in the behind, especially with strong winds and turbulence.

I don´t know why they have the VOR/DME Y of 36. you have to fly on the same path of ILS 15 of SBCT, overhead Giza NDB (370), then fly to 4dme of CTB, turn left to intercept 353 of CTB, and all the time you must be descending...

I don´t like this procedure. it´s a pain in the ass, you´re flying low, turning more than 90 degrees and you´re descending. basically you must intercept 2 radials in 3 miles and considering the NDB you must intercept and hold there...

really. WHY ON EARTH I would fly on an ILS course and then turn left to intercept 353? it´s confusing, hard working and you have the VOR 36 tons of times easier!

normally the ATC give vectors to you to intercept Gisa NDB but sometimes you have to intercept, ajust into hold and do all by yourself...

now imagine you, without a Co-Pilot, without Autopilot, on a stormy weather with a busy ATC. you really get angry!

now they will plan to introduce GPS procedures to SBBI and I really hope so! GPS procedures are WAY EASIER. I did it in USA but in Brazil there´s no money for that but somehow there´s money for a FIFA 2014 world cup and a 2016 Olympics...

be a Pilot in Brazil is crazy...

Archived