The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks and Your Expectations This Season?

Dr. Crossbar

It's still early in the Canucks season and there are a lot of games left to be played. But each time we lose a game so many threads get started about trading this player, do we need that player, what we need, what we don't need, or the sky is falling.

All of it has made me question whether fan base expectations are too high or simply unrealistic. And I'm posting this with the hope that we can have a serious, constructive discussion about it for some perspective.

[Mods, I searched but couldn't find a thread on current expectations now that we're into the season. Trying to create a healthy, realistic discussion here]

If expectations of the team and players aren't too high or unrealistic, fire away ... why aren't they?

Specifically, I've been wondering ...

David Booth: What are people's realistic expectations of Booth based on the circumstances around injuries and getting back to form? For example, were people expecting Booth to score three goals last night against SJ? In your view, what would have been a good game for him in his first game back? What should he do next game? What would he need to do each game to win you over?

Zack Kassian: What should Kassian be doing game to game that would make you happy with his play? Should Kassian be at least 1ppg player at this very moment? What are your expectations? Should Kassian be a 30 goal scorer? What do you think he should be for us?

Jordan Schroeder: When Schroeder returns from injury, should he be lighting up the scoreboard immediately, every night or contributing in other ways? Aside from being healthy, what would it take for Schroeder to be an immediate impact player the very second he returns.. or is that unrealistic? What do you expect?

Alex Burrows: Another player coming back from injury, do you expect Burrows to be putting 1, 2, 3 goals in the net per game? How many points per game? What do you expect?

The Sedins; They've been shut down the last few games. What do you expect night after night from Hank and Dank, collectively or individually?

Ryan Kesler: After a slow start, he came alive. What do you expect from Kesler from here on out that would put a smile on your face?

Roberto Luongo: Do you expect him to stop every single shot? Lead the league in shutouts? Have a career year? What do you want him to do that would make you happy? Be realistic.

The Defense: All of the above for ... Garrison, Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Tanev, Stanton ... And should each of these guys be putting in at least one goal a game? Who should be scoring and who should be more defensive. What do you expect, more goals or defense?

Mike Santorelli: Should he be even better than he's been, or do you expect him to tank?

Welsh, Dalpe, Archibald - Call ups: What DO you expect from these guys? Goal per game? Points? What do you want?

Secondary Scoring: What should it be night in and night out? In your view, what's the line between good and bad?

Based on your expectations of the above, and if those expectations are met, what would you expect from a new Top 6 forward? In general, what would you expect if we got a Top 6 forward?

Mike Gillis: ????

Are our current expectations of this team to high and/or unrealistic?

I really want people to come clean here so we can see what is possible and what's not possible. Maybe we'll learn something new.

David Booth: I want to see Booth playing the way he used to. Driving hard to the net, playing solid defence and scoring goals every 3 or 4 games. If Booth scores at a 15-20 goal pace I'd be satisfied for this season.

Zack Kassian: For Zack I really hope that he proves all the doubters wrong by scoring 30 goals this season, but obviously that won't happen. If he manages to score 20 goals I would consider this a good season for him...it'd also be great if he could cut down on making reckless plays.

Jordan Schroeder: Schroeder has had terrible luck with injuries. When he's back, I want to see him playing on a line with Kesler. I feel that Burrows and the Sedins should be our first line (more on that later). I want to see Schroeder centering a line with Kesler and someone else (hopefully a top six forward!). If Schroeder struggles to win draws we can switch in Kesler to take the draw and then after the draw he can move back to the wing. Schroeder, in his brief stints here, has shown that he has good vision and passing. I think he would work well with Kesler.

Alex Burrows: I'm a firm believer in Burrows. He and Hansen are probably the hardest workers on our team and I'd argue that Burrows (aside from the Sedins) has the highest hockey IQ on our team. He's the best at reading the Sedins and they had their best seasons with Burrows on their line. Since the Kesler and Sedins line has been slowing down, I think it's time to move Burrows back up there. Burrows shouldn't have a problem scoring 20 goals this season and that total will only increase if he plays with the Sedins.

The Sedins: As with every year, I expect the Sedins to score on a consistent basis. They are two of the most consistent players in the league and they are more than capable of leading our offence. I think they will be fine, not much to worry about here.

Ryan Kesler: While I don't think Kesler will ever go back to his 41 goal form, I don't see why he can't score 30ish goals on a consistent basis. His defensive game has been great but he really needs to stop trying to do everything himself. Using his wrist shot on the powerplay is so predictable and easy to stop. I hope he stays healthy until the playoffs so he can lead our team to glory.

Roberto Luongo: I expect Luongo's play to get better as the year goes by. I think he will be team Canada's number one goalie and lead them to the podium. Sure, he hasn't been "great" yet but compared to the past October Luongo's he's been doing really well and I expect him to get even better once he settles into the system. Luongo shoudln't have a problem being a top 10 goalie in the league this year. I think he'll get at least 30 wins this season.

Jason Garrison: Garrison hasn't been playing as well as he was last year but he's been solid so far. I'm disappointed in his shot though..he seems to miss the net over half the time wasting our powerplay opportunities.

Alex Edler: I thought Edler was playing great in the beginning of the season and then his play began to tail down. He's still the inconsistent Edler that frustrates the fans, and the coaches. I have confidence that Torts can help him realize his potential, but if the right offer comes along, I wouldn't be opposed to dealing him.

Dan Hamhuis: Don't know if he isn't used to the system or what but he hasn't been showing us the same "gold-standard" he's had in the past couple years. Not much to worry about, I think his game will turnaround when we need him the most.

Kevin Bieksa: Wow. Really, what a surprise. The guy many thought would clash with Torts has thrived under his system. Other than the occasional bonehead play (fighting in the last 5 minutes last night) Bieksa has been great. I expect him to have a 40 point season this year while continuing his solid play.

Chris Tanev: Tanev has been playing great (as expected) and should be in for a big pay raise. I hope we keep him for a long time because he seems like he could be the next Hamhuis. His first pass is great and I think as he grows older he will develop stronger offensive instincts and chip in the occasional goal here and there.

Ryan Stanton: Great waiver pick-up. He's exceeding everyone's expectations and I think he can keep up the consistent play for the rest of the season. Could be a vital piece in our playoff run.

Mike Santorelli: I don't expect Santorelli to continue scoring at 0.6 points per game but I think he can at least match his career best 20 goal, 40 point season. He has shown good chemistry with just about anyone that he's played with and I think he could help Booth rejuvenate his game.

Brad Richardson: Based on the negativity after we signed him, I didn't expect much. However, he has made me completely forget about Lapierre. Richardson hasn't been praised much because of Santorelli's great play but he has to be given credit for regaining his LA form. I expect a 30 point season from him.

Welsh, Dalpe, Archibald: From these three, I expect nothing but solid defensive play while chipping in the occasional goal. All three have been playing good (especially Welsh and Archibald) and could help cushion an injury to our top 9.

Secondary Scoring: We really need secondary scoring but I think it'll be difficult to get consistent secondary scoring when our team is full of third-liners. We really need a legitimate top-6 winger.

If we get a new top 6 forward. I hope he will be a gamebreaker. Someone who can take over the game if he feels like it. Of course, these players don't grow off trees and don't come cheap, but the Canucks are really missing someone who can take over the game. The Sedins are great and score consistently but they lack that gamebreaking ability.

Mike Gillis: Gillis isn't the best at trading but I applaud him for his strong FA acquisitions and waiver-wire pickups. His under the radar signings of Richardson and Santorelli have really benefitted our team and Ryan Stanton has solidified our defence. Can you imagine Alberts or Weber playing every other night?

John Tortorella: Torts has impressed me with his humility and his desire to win. I can sense that he really wants to help this team and has worked hard to change himself. I believe that if someone is going to lead this team to the cup, it'll be Torts. He isn't afraid to stand up for his players and he speaks his mind. While I understand why AV was tight-lipped at times, I feel that in a market like Vancouver you have to be honest in order to avoid drawing unnecessary attention and controversies to the team.

All in all, I think the Canucks haven't reached their full potential yet and will do better as the year goes by.

Kassian a PPG player? Thats an extremely unrealistic expectation for him, even in his prime. He should be getting like 30 points right now, and around 50 in his prime.

Well, that's the issue for me, I'm not sure what people expect from Kassian. What is he living up to, or not living up to?

I don't think he's he PPG player either. Interested to see what standard people feel he should really be living up to each game if he's a 30 point player ... because obviously he won't be scoring each night.

actually I can imagine Weber playing every night.. why does everyone think he somehow won a competition to become a hockey player and sit on the Canucks bench? he's a skilled player with a great shot who played badly in one preseason game and never got a proper opportunity due to the Stanton pickup (fairly so and RS has been great).. if any of our current 6 D gets injured he could step in and do very well!

actually I can imagine Weber playing every night.. why does everyone think he somehow won a competition to become a hockey player and sit on the Canucks bench? he's a skilled player with a great shot who played badly in one preseason game and never got a proper opportunity due to the Stanton pickup (fairly so and RS has been great).. if any of our current 6 D gets injured he could step in and do very well!

Weber is a great player. I'll agree on that. What I meant by my comment was that Stanton helped to stabilize our defence. At the very start of the season, everyone not named Bieksa and Tanev, were struggling with defence. Edler got better, but Hamhuis looked lost for the first 10-ish games. The situation would have been worse if we had Weber (who isn't exactly the best at defence) out there as well.

However, I do think that the Canucks may need to play Weber if our powerplay continues to fail. Didn't the powerplay work well in the preseason when Weber was playing on it? I imagine he can be somewhat like Ehrhoff.

David Booth: I want to see Booth playing the way he used to. Driving hard to the net, playing solid defence and scoring goals every 3 or 4 games. If Booth scores at a 15-20 goal pace I'd be satisfied for this season.

Zack Kassian: For Zack I really hope that he proves all the doubters wrong by scoring 30 goals this season, but obviously that won't happen. If he manages to score 20 goals I would consider this a good season for him...it'd also be great if he could cut down on making reckless plays.

Jordan Schroeder: Schroeder has had terrible luck with injuries. When he's back, I want to see him playing on a line with Kesler. I feel that Burrows and the Sedins should be our first line (more on that later). I want to see Schroeder centering a line with Kesler and someone else (hopefully a top six forward!). If Schroeder struggles to win draws we can switch in Kesler to take the draw and then after the draw he can move back to the wing. Schroeder, in his brief stints here, has shown that he has good vision and passing. I think he would work well with Kesler.

Alex Burrows: I'm a firm believer in Burrows. He and Hansen are probably the hardest workers on our team and I'd argue that Burrows (aside from the Sedins) has the highest hockey IQ on our team. He's the best at reading the Sedins and they had their best seasons with Burrows on their line. Since the Kesler and Sedins line has been slowing down, I think it's time to move Burrows back up there. Burrows shouldn't have a problem scoring 20 goals this season and that total will only increase if he plays with the Sedins.

The Sedins: As with every year, I expect the Sedins to score on a consistent basis. They are two of the most consistent players in the league and they are more than capable of leading our offence. I think they will be fine, not much to worry about here.

Ryan Kesler: While I don't think Kesler will ever go back to his 41 goal form, I don't see why he can't score 30ish goals on a consistent basis. His defensive game has been great but he really needs to stop trying to do everything himself. Using his wrist shot on the powerplay is so predictable and easy to stop. I hope he stays healthy until the playoffs so he can lead our team to glory.

Roberto Luongo: I expect Luongo's play to get better as the year goes by. I think he will be team Canada's number one goalie and lead them to the podium. Sure, he hasn't been "great" yet but compared to the past October Luongo's he's been doing really well and I expect him to get even better once he settles into the system. Luongo shoudln't have a problem being a top 10 goalie in the league this year. I think he'll get at least 30 wins this season.

Jason Garrison: Garrison hasn't been playing as well as he was last year but he's been solid so far. I'm disappointed in his shot though..he seems to miss the net over half the time wasting our powerplay opportunities.

Alex Edler: I thought Edler was playing great in the beginning of the season and then his play began to tail down. He's still the inconsistent Edler that frustrates the fans, and the coaches. I have confidence that Torts can help him realize his potential, but if the right offer comes along, I wouldn't be opposed to dealing him.

Dan Hamhuis: Don't know if he isn't used to the system or what but he hasn't been showing us the same "gold-standard" he's had in the past couple years. Not much to worry about, I think his game will turnaround when we need him the most.

Kevin Bieksa: Wow. Really, what a surprise. The guy many thought would clash with Torts has thrived under his system. Other than the occasional bonehead play (fighting in the last 5 minutes last night) Bieksa has been great. I expect him to have a 40 point season this year while continuing his solid play.

Chris Tanev: Tanev has been playing great (as expected) and should be in for a big pay raise. I hope we keep him for a long time because he seems like he could be the next Hamhuis. His first pass is great and I think as he grows older he will develop stronger offensive instincts and chip in the occasional goal here and there.

Ryan Stanton: Great waiver pick-up. He's exceeding everyone's expectations and I think he can keep up the consistent play for the rest of the season. Could be a vital piece in our playoff run.

Mike Santorelli: I don't expect Santorelli to continue scoring at 0.6 points per game but I think he can at least match his career best 20 goal, 40 point season. He has shown good chemistry with just about anyone that he's played with and I think he could help Booth rejuvenate his game.

Brad Richardson: Based on the negativity after we signed him, I didn't expect much. However, he has made me completely forget about Lapierre. Richardson hasn't been praised much because of Santorelli's great play but he has to be given credit for regaining his LA form. I expect a 30 point season from him.

Welsh, Dalpe, Archibald: From these three, I expect nothing but solid defensive play while chipping in the occasional goal. All three have been playing good (especially Welsh and Archibald) and could help cushion an injury to our top 9.

Secondary Scoring: We really need secondary scoring but I think it'll be difficult to get consistent secondary scoring when our team is full of third-liners. We really need a legitimate top-6 winger.

If we get a new top 6 forward. I hope he will be a gamebreaker. Someone who can take over the game if he feels like it. Of course, these players don't grow off trees and don't come cheap, but the Canucks are really missing someone who can take over the game. The Sedins are great and score consistently but they lack that gamebreaking ability.

Mike Gillis: Gillis isn't the best at trading but I applaud him for his strong FA acquisitions and waiver-wire pickups. His under the radar signings of Richardson and Santorelli have really benefitted our team and Ryan Stanton has solidified our defence. Can you imagine Alberts or Weber playing every other night?

John Tortorella: Torts has impressed me with his humility and his desire to win. I can sense that he really wants to help this team and has worked hard to change himself. I believe that if someone is going to lead this team to the cup, it'll be Torts. He isn't afraid to stand up for his players and he speaks his mind. While I understand why AV was tight-lipped at times, I feel that in a market like Vancouver you have to be honest in order to avoid drawing unnecessary attention and controversies to the team.

All in all, I think the Canucks haven't reached their full potential yet and will do better as the year goes by.

Nice post! Really connected to what you expect from Schroeder. Feel the same way. He's got a big upside that requires us to be patient. Also agree about Kesler probably not getting back to the 40 goal mark. I think 30 is possible but may be a bit high nowadays. Maybe 20-30. And this is where guys like Burrows. Schroeder, Santo, and secondary or defense can make up the difference.

Much of the line-up has exceeded my expectations really. But the expectations for the Sedins have to be high. Sure they're going to have bad games here and there but they can't be shut down on consecutive nights.

Garrison ... yep, expecting him to hit the net. Edler too. In fact, since it's taught to young hockey players as soon as they can skate, I expect all NHLers to hit the net more than they do. Surprised how many actually do miss the net these days.

I was prepared for an off year. New coach, three average third lines and the Sedin's being expected to carry the offense. I made a thread about it but it got locked, lol. Anything good that comes out of this year is a bonus, what I'm really looking forward to is the next two years when our rookies make the jump. Our team as a whole looks bland and uninspired this year.

Booth- come back and play hard; even if it means just being ok. Biggest thing though is to be healthy during next years buy-out period. That extra $4.25 mil towards something better next year is priceless

Kassian, welsh, Archie, Schroeder and all other players under 23- Keep getting better, learn the game, listen to the coaches and apply it! Next year's team should be even better so these guys need to continue to improve. Hope Schroeder stays healthy. He's much better than what he's been able to show, mostly thanks to injuries

Kesler- play less selfish hockey. He's a beast but very selfish; especially when he's not with the sedins. Great players make others better. He can be so great but right now he's only a good player. Quit trying to beat guys 1 on 4 and pass the puck then quickly get in a shooting position and rip it home. Ever since the Nashville series, he thinks he can do it by himself. Nobody wins by themselves. He has so much heart. Play him on the 2nd line wing. Waste of time with the sedins. Good teams can shut them down. Make them have to worry about at least 2 lines

Burrows- just get your confidence back. Hard worker. Get ahead of the game and quit chasing the game. He's in his head too much right now so just keep playing hard and things will be just fine.

Higgy, Santorelli, Hansen, Richardson, stanton, tanev- keep playing hard and try to pot some more goals. All good players making less than 2.5 mil. Most much less ;)

Top 4 D guys. Keep playing smart, continue to get used to torts system, started hitting the net. Make sure u change angles to get the puck past the guy covering you. U don't need to slap the puck hard all the time, just get it at the net

Lu and lack- keep playing solid. I think they will. Not the best tandem in the league but still pretty darn good. Def not a problem for us despite all the haters on Lu

PP- start bloody well producing, get shots through, get someone in front of net, get some bloody transition goals. Score already. Without our pp getting to at least the top 15 by seasons end...I think we miss the playoffs

Sedins- u rule and play hard but u don't need to cycle every time or play behind the net every time; quit doing the obvious hooks because the refs don't care who u are

Prediction- playoffs! After that...I don't know but if I did I'd make a fortune!

I expect 6th to 8th place finish, we get into playoffs as a wild card. Once there if there is some unexpected hero that can score for us and win us some games maybe we go to third round. If not I think we go out in the first. I wouldn't mind that I have learned with this team to keep my expectations low and I was expecting 7th seed at start of season. We'll see how it goes.

I think this year someone new must step up. We have more than enough guys who can do it and I'm talking about players not named sedins and kesler.

Secondary Scoring: The Sedins are great and score consistently but they lack that game breaking ability.

These two men are the only game breakers this team has.If the .org actually signed a d man that could play with the twins effectively then the team would have a PP,which is the game breaker we used to have and consistently win with.

John Tortorella: While I understand why AV was tight-lipped at times,I feel that in a market like Vancouver you have to be honest in order to avoid drawing unnecessary attention and controversies to the team.

Tootsie has been and is the king of drawing unnecessary attention to himself,his teams and his players.

Reset.New coach,new assistants,healthy Kes,Dan and Eddy. No goaltender controversy,no AV or Ebbett to bitch and moan about.

Two new capable center ice men and two on the D.Kassian sold as being in the best shape of his career and the Twins/Luongo playing exceptionally out of the gate.

What we have is the same amount of wins through 21 games that this team tallied last year.Exactly the same.

I did expect better than ninth place in the conference and the third 'wild card' team position in the standings-out of the playoffs.

If Booth and Burrows can make a line and Schroeder performs a miracle,Eddy comes alive and Garrison gets a pair of glasses we just might meet exceed reasonable expectations.

Top 10 Reasons Canucks will have trouble making the playoffs:

1. Currently 9th in Western Conference. Would miss playoffs if they started today.

2. The 8 teams above them all have better home winning percentages.

3. The 8 teams above them all have better goal differentials.

4. The Canucks have played the East (weaker teams) more times than 6 of the 8 teams they trail.

5. Six of 8 teams ahead of the Canucks have the same or more regulation or overtime wins.

6. Seven of 8 teams ahead of the Canucks have scored more goals.

7. Five of the 8 teams ahead of the Canucks have a better road winning percentage.

8. Seven of the 8 teams ahead of the Canucks have equal or fewer goals against.

9. Seven of the 8 teams ahead of the Canucks have games in hand.

10. Seven of the 8 teams ahead of the Canucks have the same or more shoot out wins.

Reasons the Canucks will make the playoffs:

1. Canucks have played more road games than 7 of 8 teams they trail.

2. Canucks have had some injuries to date.

3. Canucks are employing a new system under a new coach.

4. The teams below the Canucks probably won't catch them except possibly Dallas.

Therefore, the Canucks probably have to overtake only one of the teams currently ahead of them.

This fact gives the Canucks the most hope of making the playoffs.

However, to sum up...definitely no cake walk into the playoffs this year.

Booth - I'd like to see 15 goals minimum.

Kassian - He should be able to do around 20 goals, 40 points.

Schroeder - I've never really expected much from him, hope he rips it up for the Comets.

Burrows - Even without playing with the Sedins for much of the time I expect no less than 20 goals and 40 points.

Sedins - Point per game minimum for each. Hank with no less than 15 goals, Dank with no less than 30.

Kesler - 25 goals minimum, no less than 60 points.

Luongo - GAA no higher than 2.35, Sv% no lower than .915, 5 or more shutouts. How many wins that translates into is up to the rest of the team.

Garrison - 10 goals minimum, 20 to 30 assists.

Edler - 10 goals minimum, 30 to 40 assists.

Bieksa - 5 goals minimum, 25 to 35 assists.

Hamhuis - 5 goals minimum, 15 to 25 assists.

Tanev - 1 to 5 goals, 10 to 15 assists.

Stanton - See Tanev.

Santorelli - 10 goals, 10 to 20 assists.

Call ups - Very few points expected, just play well defensively to give the top 9 a break, screw up as little as possible.

Archived