The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OPTIMISTIC-ANGLE

Nuxfanabroad

Overall, I'm happy with how this team is developing...

-Torts is saying all the right things. He's open to change, & doesn't just play favourites. Pleasantly surprised with his honest analysis on players/situations. Hasn't gone ballistic with media, or moaned excessively about poor reffing(saving this for later season?)

-Transitioning to lower cap, MG was forced into low-cost acquisitions, who've added a lot to our overall-depth. Where would we be without Stanton, Richardson, Santorelli, & AHL-contributions? That Carolina deal was timely & underrated.

-So we've battled through/endured a spate of injuries. Will make us tougher mentally, & deeper, come spring. Returning players will trickle down to our #3 & #4 lines, making this squad competitive & balanced. Excess bodies should also greatly improve our AHL Comets.

-Excited to see how Schroeder will fare, especially if matched with some large, speedy wingers. There's a lot of potential there. I'd like to see a large, fast team, with ONE speedy little waterbug, playing feisty.

-Lots of teams are having trouble with goals, this season. Always around Dec, the better teams start to seperate from the pretenders. This will be when we really round into form.

-SIZE/TOUGHNESS..We might lose the odd fight, but teams won't try to intimidate us into losing a game. We've got a pretty tough team, with more of that coming up. It will(late-season) be much more hard-nosed than our Pres-trophy teams were. We can go into any physical barn & play our game, unafraid. I don't want a team of goons, but as a fan, definitely want our boys to stare down obnoxious outfits(like the Broons)

-Our 2013 bumper-crop of picks look beautiful/golden. One can visualize a perfect transition from the twin's era, on to the next one.

...In closing, yeah, we're currently hovering on the PO-seeding margins, but we're also just 6 points back of 1st. There are still 61 games to keep progressing; with PLENTY of reasons for optimism, thus far.

In the past, the Canucks relied on talent to win and of course this worked really well in 2011. In 2011 we were the class of the league and no one could out-talent us. Of course, this changed after we lost Ehrhoff, Samuelsson and Salo. The Canucks still tried to rely on their talent to win games and put in less and less effort into each game.

This season, however, I'm seeing a different Canucks team. Most of the time, everyone is working hard and pushing for the win. I think that Torts has really motivated the players into playing hard for a full 60 minutes. Now obviously that didn't happen last night (bad fight and penalties late in the game) but I'm happy with what I'm seeing this year.

That being said, the loss of talent makes it harder for the Canucks to win even if they try hard. Nashville and Phoenix are two of the hardest working teams in the NHL but they simply don't have the talent to match that. I think with one legitimate top-6 winger the Canucks will be able to match any team in the West in talent and work-ethic.

It's good to know others see the same thing. Should be interesting to see how many others who see the positive side post in here.

Was just looking at the 2010-11 season records for November and December, which speaks to the point about typically getting going by end of the year.

2010-11:

Nov.: 8-4-1

Dec.: 11-1-2

Different team, harder competition, but we'll need to be really good over the next two months. I don't think we'll be 11-1 good, we just need to stay close to the top teams.

-Torts is saying all the right things. He's open to change, & doesn't just play favourites. Pleasantly surprised with his honest analysis on players/situations. Hasn't gone ballistic with media, or moaned excessively about poor reffing(saving this for later season?)

-Transitioning to lower cap, MG was forced into low-cost acquisitions, who've added a lot to our overall-depth. Where would we be without Stanton, Richardson, Santorelli, & AHL-contributions? That Carolina deal was timely & underrated.

-So we've battled through/endured a spate of injuries. Will make us tougher mentally, & deeper, come spring. Returning players will trickle down to our #3 & #4 lines, making this squad competitive & balanced. Excess bodies should also greatly improve our AHL Comets.

-Excited to see how Schroeder will fare, especially if matched with some large, speedy wingers. There's a lot of potential there. I'd like to see a large, fast team, with ONE speedy little waterbug, playing feisty.

-Lots of teams are having trouble with goals, this season. Always around Dec, the better teams start to seperate from the pretenders. This will be when we really round into form.

-SIZE/TOUGHNESS..We might lose the odd fight, but teams won't try to intimidate us into losing a game. We've got a pretty tough team, with more of that coming up. It will(late-season) be much more hard-nosed than our Pres-trophy teams were. We can go into any physical barn & play our game, unafraid. I don't want a team of goons, but as a fan, definitely want our boys to stare down obnoxious outfits(like the Broons)

-Our 2013 bumper-crop of picks look beautiful/golden. One can visualize a perfect transition from the twin's era, on to the next one.

...In closing, yeah, we're currently hovering on the PO-seeding margins, but we're also just 6 points back of 1st. There are still 61 games to keep progressing; with PLENTY of reasons for optimism, thus far.

He is showing glimpses of last years torts. It was weird, guy was asking him question and he started the answer on the new york torts tone then ended in the vancouver torts tone.

On a side note, I love how the media respects him here. I think they really appreciate him giving all the answers they need to write a story. But if you don't respect him he won't respect you. go to 1:05. I think torts has straightened out the media here.

Awesome post. Sums up the positives perfectly. In years past when the Canucks were in a skid, a worry would set in that was palpable.

Now, I know this team knows how to take a loss and work off it.

Thanks for the responses. Maybe it's crazy, but I think if the fanbase looks on the bright side, eventually the team will feel 'dem positive vibes. Sure, there's always a player or two that we're harpin'on, but overall I think we've got a dedicated bunch of fine players. Almost every game I watch'em, there are long segments of dominant/exciting & attacking hockey. Personally speaking, I'd say MG has consistently put together a strong collection of players, that make for a character-squad(every season).

I'm all about optimism. Lets go Canucks! I agree our team looks more motivated in all situations, and it's fun to watch!

Now lets focus on the second quarter and try hang with the leaders or as close as we can.. I think Colorado will come back to earth, and Minnesota as well, they have good teams, but but colorado is young, minnesota is streaky that's our ticket to a wildcard spot if Anaheim sj la and Phoenix keep on rolling at similar pace. Either way I'm pumped for our next game.. Like I said in another thread, We need 6 or 7 wins in our next 10 with 1 or 2 loser points.. And then go from there. Hansen and weise back will help alot but they aren't in game shape.. That is why next ten games are somewhat important.

In the past, the Canucks relied on talent to win and of course this worked really well in 2011. In 2011 we were the class of the league and no one could out-talent us. Of course, this changed after we lost Ehrhoff, Samuelsson and Salo. The Canucks still tried to rely on their talent to win games and put in less and less effort into each game.

This season, however, I'm seeing a different Canucks team. Most of the time, everyone is working hard and pushing for the win. I think that Torts has really motivated the players into playing hard for a full 60 minutes. Now obviously that didn't happen last night (bad fight and penalties late in the game) but I'm happy with what I'm seeing this year.

That being said, the loss of talent makes it harder for the Canucks to win even if they try hard. Nashville and Phoenix are two of the hardest working teams in the NHL but they simply don't have the talent to match that. I think with one legitimate top-6 winger the Canucks will be able to match any team in the West in talent and work-ethic.

Good summary. The 2011 team had talent but also had the stars aligned IMHO. A lot of personal bests which built into a very confident roster. Lack of a sniper on the 2nd line hurts. I do expect Burrows to break out at some point. Bottom line is that the Western Conference is ultra competitive and comparing this roster to 2011 is a big mistake as most other contenders have improved their rosters. Vancouver can challenge for a playoff spot and do well if the gods permit. I still consider this roster a transition group to 2 years from now.

Archived