The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you're Gillis, how much would you spend to upgrade this team for this year?

billabong

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

with the canucks ageing core and increasingly difficult conference do u jack up this team and go after players to put make this team intimidating again for this year and maybe next year but it might cost a top propect and a first pick...virtually, do u go for it one last time before we could possibly go into the turnover years and wait for the kids to blossom and wait 3-4 years until we are at the top of division again...personally, not ideal.

personally, I would not be against dealing this years 1st pick or next years to bring in a good sized top six forward for long term success but horvat, gaunce, shinkaruk and Jensen are next to untouchable. although, I feel next year are chances wont get any better so id be pretty aggressive on any quality players for rental that come along

I understand if yourself and whos opinion that really matters (gillis) want to possibly tweak at most (possibly a pahlsson like deal) and accept that our core cant go up against sj, la and ana in two 7 round series but I think thats giving up

what would u do? think before u answer

Where the Canucks are right now it's not in their best interest in trading prospects just to make it a round or two further in the playoffs. They could catch fire in late April and bring home the Cup but in my opinion it's not worth mortgaging the future.

*warning small rant*

I find it irritating that "you" can put so much effort into a topic, yet it's way too difficult for "you" to spell small words properly. It feels like I'm reading a sixteen year old girls text message. For the sake of the English language could you make more of an effort please. I have no idea how You're became "ur" it's annoying to read. Had to rant, flame me if you want but I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Gillis is gutless.

The Hawks just won a cup, again a top powerhouse team in the league and what do they do? Upgrade even more and get better mid season. Gillis still can't see the glaring need for a 2nd line with at least one top forward.

Higgins Santorelli Burrows is laughable for a 2nd line and you are going no where with that. And this is where it frustrates me why Horvat and Shinkaruk are not in the lineup.

You claim to be "all in" and contending, yet Gillis hasn't done a damn thing to address our hole and make us a contending team. So if we are a bubble team, why not use this year to get our rookies in and a full year under the belt so we are 1 year ahead for their development while we have a solid core so we can be contenders again in less than 5 years?

The way the Sharks, Bruins and Hawks are doing it, implementing their young prospects with their core players still producing. So when time comes the young players can slowly be moving up while the core players can sit in the back while still contributing. That is a smooth transition.

Where the Canucks are right now it's not in their best interest in trading prospects just to make it a round or two further in the playoffs. They could catch fire in late April and bring home the Cup but in my opinion it's not worth mortgaging the future.

*warning small rant*

I find it irritating that "you" can put so much effort into a topic, yet it's way too difficult for "you" to spell small words properly. It feels like I'm reading a sixteen year old girls text message. For the sake of the English language could you make more of an effort please. I have no idea how You're became "ur" it's annoying to read. Had to rant, flame me if you want but I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Can we agree that ur should be restricted to text msgs only?

Gillis is gutless.

The Hawks just won a cup, again a top powerhouse team in the league and what do they do? Upgrade even more and get better mid season. Gillis still can't see the glaring need for a 2nd line with at least one top forward.

Higgins Santorelli Burrows is laughable for a 2nd line and you are going no where with that. And this is where it frustrates me why Horvat and Shinkaruk are not in the lineup.

You claim to be "all in" and contending, yet Gillis hasn't done a damn thing to address our hole and make us a contending team. So if we are a bubble team, why not use this year to get our rookies in and a full year under the belt so we are 1 year ahead for their development while we have a solid core so we can be contenders again in less than 5 years?

The way the Sharks, Bruins and Hawks are doing it, implementing their young prospects with their core players still producing. So when time comes the young players can slowly be moving up while the core players can sit in the back while still contributing. That is a smooth transition.

On paper I might agree but they have been playing extremely well together. IMO opinion we need a guy like Steve Ott to solidify our bottom 6.

Gillis is gutless.

The difference between the Hawks and Nucks is depth and Bowman.

They have outstanding scouting managed to stockpile incredible depth that they're just now bringing into the system and have sold off key pieces of 2 Stanley cup winning teams to restock that very depth yet again.

Once we stockpile enough genuine prospects we will be able to pull off stuff like that. But if we gave up a prospect like the Hawks just did to reacquire Versteeg we'd be without Shinnkaruk Horvat Cassels or even Corrado. I for one am not willing to do anything that foolish in what is appearing to be the aberration year for us that a lot of people expected.

You can call Gillis gutless all you want, but ever knee jerk move he's made has blown up in our faces. Booth Ballard Hodgson Schneider. You want him to what? Trade Hansen for picks and sign Sturm or something?

We have no room on this team for prospects that are not NHL ready. We do not have the depth to do what you want done. And to be honest I don't think we really need to do much as anything we do now will reek of desperation and probably cost us more than it should.

See the Vanek trade and the Versteeg trade. The price for rentals is sky high and our time to move will be in the offseason when we can trade or amnesty Booth and use that beautiful cap space to actually do something of significance in a year with some half decent UFA's at positions we need without mortgaging the future for yet another Roy or Pahlsson

Shink and Horvat are the only untouchables. Otherwise everyone else is in play. I do not get the fascination with Corrado so much, what do you guys see in him?

Take Corrado out of the equation and our next ready D prospect is 3 years away from entering the league. And that prospect is not even half the potential point getter Corrado is.

That is what the fascination is.

On paper I might agree but they have been playing extremely well together. IMO opinion we need a guy like Steve Ott to solidify our bottom 6.

They are playing well no question but end of the day 2nd line needs to be a scoring line. If we could be in a situation where those 3 are our 3rd line, boy then we are stacked and will have the best 3rd line in the league. We need a solid 4 lines to win a cup.

The best situation we need to win:

Sedin Sedin Kassian/Burrows

top 6 forward Kesler Burrows/Kassian

Higgins Santorelli Hansen - perfect playoff 3rd line

Sestito Richardson Booth(i guess or someone else)

4 lines that can play in any situation, play over 10 mins and be responsible defensively and can contribute

And as is necessary in all of these types of threads I will just point out the abundance of NTC on this club.

Basically we'd have to sell off our picks for the upcoming draft (which some claim is shallow....but who knows, right?) or give away the franchises newly minted bluechip prospects, Horvat and Shinkaruk.

I don't like the idea of that.

Screw getting a top 6 centre...we have too many centres who can fill that role if need be... (Kesler, Santorelli, Schroeder, and in the near future Horvat and Cassels) If I were MG I would sacrifice our defensive depth and prospects for a top 6 winger or two and they must be both BIG and SKILLED. Two packages to get two big, mean top 6 wingers (E.Kane, Lucic) would be my dream come true, but if nothing else...just trade away some of our defensive depth and improve our prospect pool, I'm just tired with having such a high-paid D-core

The difference between the Hawks and Nucks is depth and Bowman.

They have outstanding scouting managed to stockpile incredible depth that they're just now bringing into the system and have sold off key pieces of 2 Stanley cup winning teams to restock that very depth yet again.

Once we stockpile enough genuine prospects we will be able to pull off stuff like that. But if we gave up a prospect like the Hawks just did to reacquire Versteeg we'd be without Shinnkaruk Horvat Cassels or even Corrado. I for one am not willing to do anything that foolish in what is appearing to be the aberration year for us that a lot of people expected.

You can call Gillis gutless all you want, but ever knee jerk move he's made has blown up in our faces. Booth Ballard Hodgson Schneider. You want him to what? Trade Hansen for picks and sign Sturm or something?

We have no room on this team for prospects that are not NHL ready. We do not have the depth to do what you want done. And to be honest I don't think we really need to do much as anything we do now will reek of desperation and probably cost us more than it should.

See the Vanek trade and the Versteeg trade. The price for rentals is sky high and our time to move will be in the offseason when we can trade or amnesty Booth and use that beautiful cap space to actually do something of significance in a year with some half decent UFA's at positions we need without mortgaging the future for yet another Roy or Pahlsson

So now we have to wait to stockpile? I'm sorry in my opinion, we drafted 2 legit top 10 prospects, and could have easily implemented them this year and be ahead in their development while we still can be a contending team.

Haws traded away half their team in 2010, had to part ways with important players (Byfuglien, Ladd, Browuer, Versteeg, etc) and still kept competing being a top team, implemented young players such as Bickell, Shaw, Sadd last year or 2 and won a cup again. Parted ways with Bolland who scored the game winner and was so important, but no problem for them because they have are implementing other young players this season.

We had a run in 2011 and instead of improving and making big moves to address the needs to get back there, we have done nothing and been kind of a mess since.

*warning small rant*

It's lazy ness and all I care about is my point is understood

Archived