The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you?

erkayloomeh

Trade Roberto at this point? Lets say something came up like tampas goalie went down for the season and they offered us a decent prospect.

Would you do it.? Would you trust Lack, make a trade for a jason labarbera type backup.

Not ideal for the team at the moment but what we could do with the cap space.?

I know this is extremely unlikely , for fun would just want to know if you would.

Depends on the return. Luongo hasn't been god-like this year so even if we were to make the playoffs, the chances we go far or win the cup are quite slim. If the trade brought us a good scorer and/or a good prospect I'd say go for it. Lack could be thrown to the wolves and we'd get see what he's made of. If we missed the playoffs then so be it, it doesn't appear at this moment that this group as it is would be capable of a lot anyways.

Depends on the return. Luongo hasn't been god-like this year so even if we were to make the playoffs, the chances we go far or win the cup are quite slim. If the trade brought us a good scorer and/or a good prospect I'd say go for it. Lack could be thrown to the wolves and we'd get see what he's made of. If we missed the playoffs then so be it, it doesn't appear at this moment that this group as it is would be capable of a lot anyways.

it wouldnt just be the player we got in return it wojld also be the cap space ability for us to make a trade. We could potentialy add two good roster players up front

it wouldnt just be the player we got in return it wojld also be the cap space ability for us to make a trade. We could potentialy add two good roster players up front

Having cap space does not mean Gillis can or will make a trade that improves this team. It is just his excus right now for not doing so. If he suddenly had 5 mil in cap space he would come out and say trades are too difficult to do.

Trade Roberto at this point? Lets say something came up like tampas goalie went down for the season and they offered us a decent prospect.

Would you do it.? Would you trust Lack, make a trade for a jason labarbera type backup.

Not ideal for the team at the moment but what we could do with the cap space.?

I know this is extremely unlikely , for fun would just want to know if you would.

I don't think people still get it lol. There is not a market for Luongo where MG bites on a trade because he is worth more to Vancouver than any return the Canucks could get for him. Other teams may become desperate for a starter at any given point but not to the point they'd take on Luongo's contract AND pay the asking price which justifiably should be high in other assets going Vancouver's way.

Definitely not for a prospect only.

The return would need to include a significant roster player that would have a noticeable impact on the skating group (ie: a top-six forward with high-end "finishing" ability, a very good middle-six centreman with size, or a top-four puck-rushing defenseman with PPQB ability) and could offset the potential downgrade in net.

I say "potential downgrade in net" because I'm quite optimistic about Eddie Lack and what he can eventually accomplish as an NHL goaltender. It's not a certainty that the Canucks would be worse off with Lack as their starter but it's a pretty good bet that he'd struggle, at this early a point in his career, to carry the weight over an entire season as a #1 goaltender at the NHL level.

So the return would need to be extremely high. While I think the goalie market has strengthened from where we were last season, it probably hasn't improved to the extent that teams are going to start throwing out ridiculous offers for Luongo's services, no matter how desperate they might be to improve their goaltending.

A lot depends on where Luongo's head is actually at right now. If he still wants a trade, then the Canucks need to stay open to offers. However, if Lu has truly re-committed to staying in Vancouver, not just this season but for the longterm, then they really need to respect that and just leave things alone.

I'm curious if Luongo's offer to waive his no-trade is even still on the table or if it's been retracted?

If Lu's no longer actually hoping to get moved, the Canucks definitely shouldn't approach him with a potential trade, unless it's for an absolutely shocking rate of return. Otherwise, it's really not worth rocking the boat.

Archived