The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loss VS Gain VS Expectation in The Season This Year

Warhippy

We all know where this team stands. We all know what we need to excel. We all want that big trade.

But let me ask you this. With the Islanders Sabres trade dictating the price of top tier talent (Pick(S) and top player) this year, and the Chicago trade dictating the price (Tops prospects) of bottom 6 dominance. Are you sure you want Gillis going all in this season?

This season where we all basically agreed to be happy making the playoffs under a new coach with no major moves and the same set of underachievers, lack of PMD 3rd line c 2nd line playmaking winger or center.

Are you confident in Gillis' ability to make a decent trade that will net us any of the above knowing what the market is demanding for players of that calibre?

I am going to post our agreed upon needs and then you tell me whether or not you think it is wise to allow GIllis to go out and do what everyone is clamouring for.

Puck Moving Defence

2nd Line playmaking winger

2nd line playmaking center

Top 6 sniper

3rd line center

Now here is the eye opener.

Brendan Gaunce: Projected to be solid 2nd, 3rd or at worst amazing 4th line center. defensively solid and makes smart plays with great positioning.

Hunter Shinkaruk: Projected to be a top 6 Center/sniping winger. Can make plays and can put pucks in the net like no other prospect we have. Is fast elusive and has sound positioning

Bo Horvat: Projected to be a 1st/2nd line center, best prospect we've had not named Linden and potential future captain.

Cole Cassels: Projected 2nd 3rd line center and is absolutely destroying the OHL right now with almost 1.8 PPG. Is gritty a solid play maker and doesn't shy away from anyone really

Alexander Grenier: Our best and most NHL ready Right Winger. Is our best player in Utica and is showing he can be something with progression trending upwards visibly every game

Kellan Lain: Our beast of a future 4th line C, wins draws drops them and hits anything that moves, his skating is getting better as well

Frakie Corrado: Our most NHL ready D man, projects to be a top 4 D man capable of putting up solid points in the league.

Henrik Tomernes: Great future top 4 stay at home D with mobility and intelligence. He has something most stay at home defenders don't have, great skating ability and a strong first pass

Anton Cederholm: See the medicine ball in prospect camp for reference.

Jordan Subban: Future puck moving defenceman. Is actually heavier than PK when he was drafted, but shorter. All of his brothers have grown considerably since their draft years and he projects to do the same. He IS the future of PMD on this team if developed right.

Now those are our best prospects without mentioning Liberati, Labatte, Archibald and at least 2 others who could make the team in the next 2 or 3 seasons.

So I ask you. Your desire to win now is obvious, it is almost palpable.

But seriously, step back and look. IS it worth paying market price for what you want in this season? Is it worth giving up the exact players we have in our system for that exact type of player now, who is either UFA or under expensive contract which could hamstring us via the cap?

And even if it is worth it to you, do you honestly see this team as it stands without making at least 2 major moves for those types of players being able to survive a war with LA or St Louis and still get by a team like the Hawks?

We all want to win, but be objective. This is probably not our year and common sense dictates that when you have a brand new ferarri in the factory, you don't trade for an Audi that's already been road tested.....

Just my 2 cents.

You're assuming that every one of those players pans out, which is ludicrous.

The NHL just doesn't work that way unfortunately, else we would see each team with a stacked roster of studs.

OK. And you're assuming that any trade we make with those potential future stars will pan out?

See Pahlsson Roy Ballard Booth for reference. Rather have future potential than give it up for a rental or a bust.

I agree that this team, as it stands now, does not have the horses to get through a long playoff run. However, the 'impact' moves needed, are very unlikely with the cap restraints and the abundance of NTC's.

The previously outlined holes we have in our lineup will not be filled by our prospects before new holes open up. IE. By the time Shinkaruk, Horvat, and Gaunce are contributing at the levels we hope, the Sedin's will be slowing, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Luongo will all be pushing the wrong side of 30. And as much as I love following our prospects, it is very naive to think all the players you discussed will even become regular NHL'ers let alone impact players.

This team will likely continue to be competitive and fight for a playoff spot until the youth arrives. At which point, the hope will be that the cap continues to rise and the team can buy a couple impact Free Agents.

The days of Canucks dominance are done for a while. It appears though, for better or worse, no long-drawn out rebuild will occur.

We will have to make moves to open up roster spots for some of our rookies next year. Moves will probably be made at the draft and it will either be a rebuilding move(Picks or prospects) or a package deal for 1 solid player. With how Stanton and Tanev are playing we could have to move one a defenseman like Bieksa(who's value's increasing) or Edler (who's younger). Schroeder looks like the odd man out which how much depth we have at Centre so he could be moved and Booth definitely needs to be bought out or moved this off season.

We actually won't be in a horrible situation this off season.

pretty sure people were calling Hodgson our best prospect since Linden

I'm upset over that trade still(I didn't watch a game till the playoffs was so pissed) but my friend who lives in Akron says that Hodgson said the league made the trade happen not gillis. I kind of believe it cause anyone had to be out of their mind to make that trade.

Like they are using him as a 1st line center.

Please do us a favor and never mention his name around here.

Excellent post. Anyone who wants to sell the farm, which has the players this core needs to be successful, to contend this year is incredibly short sighted. The Canucks have the pieces in minors and junior, we the fans need to be patient and realize that this year's team is not a cup contender.

So what are the Canucks this year? A good team that can win a playoff round? Yes. Cup contender. Absolutely not, and I'm okay with that as I realize this year is a transition year with a bright future for young players to come in.

For those saying the Canucks have no chance to win the Cup if they make the playoffs, they actually have a 1 in 16 chance of making it.

As for the OP, I'd rather MG not make a trade for a rental this season. I think next season, we'll have more options with our prospects and we'll have a much better chance of winning, so next year is the time to go all in.

If MG can make a good trade and get a player without costing us too much who sticks around for 2 or 3 years, I'd be happy.

I'm also convinced we are one top 6 player away from being competitive - pretty much every game we've lost we've only scored 1 goal and thats the problem right there.

OP makes a point I agree with.. this isn't the year for MG to sell the farm nor do I think he will... that being said, we have an abundance of a few positions like defense and 2-way 3rd liners that we may be able to package with a pick for immediate help.

I'm talking about guys like Hansen-Tanev-pick... both useful players and a pick what would that get us?

Good post!!

Also, the "Detroit model" follows your way of thinking as well.

Think of all the stars the wings have had in the last 20 years, how many of them were acquired through a trade?

Our scouting seems to be much better now, we won't know for sure until these players mature and hopefully pan out. But you have to trust your gut.

Im on the fence about acquiring another player, obviously depends on the price we have to give.

I tend to agree with this. I'm just gonna copypasta what I wrote in the NTC thread last night, since it's probably more applicable here.

This is not a year where we contend properly. Last year, this year, and probably next year, we 'hang on for dear life' and hope for the stars to align and the right puck luck to come our way (honestly, we're due some in the playoffs).

But we're right in the middle of a 3 year 'soft rebuild' or whatever you want to call it, it is what it is. Much preferable to what the Alberta teams are going through this.... decade. We are still a very solid team with a core that went to the finals two years ago. If the aforementioned puck luck does come our way, we're way more dangerous than the majority on these boards would have us believe.

The point I am trying to make is that people are screaming for gillis to trade the prospects we have for the exact same toe of or style of player with a larger cap hit only older.

Why trade a new Ferrari for an old Ferrari?

Feasibly at least three maybe four of our prospects will be ready to make the transition into the big club next year leaving us with a bought our Booth, cap space and a much better idea on who and what can be traded and at a cheaper cost either via UFA or off season trade where greedy GMs don't come into the equation as heavily.

Why trade our Brendan Gaunce for someone elses is what I'm saying.

One season people be patient

I'm upset over that trade still(I didn't watch a game till the playoffs was so pissed) but my friend who lives in Akron says that Hodgson said the league made the trade happen not gillis. I kind of believe it cause anyone had to be out of their mind to make that trade.

Like they are using him as a 1st line center.

Please do us a favor and never mention his name around here.

I'd still make that trade

Archived