The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whole team needs shooting drills

*Buzzsaw*

Yes, they are playing well, yes, they are getting a lot of shots on goal, BUT....

They are not shooting the puck well, they are not shooting like they believe they can beat the opposing goalie.

The only time they seem to score is on tap ins and screen shots when the opposing goalie can't see the puck. Any time they fire the puck at a goalie who can see them, they are shooting it right at the crest or without any real attempt to beat them. They are now shooting only for rebounds.

These are guys who used to challenge the opposing goalie to stop their shots, Burrows, Kesler and Daniel, not to mention Garrison and Edler, used to be able to beat a goalie when there was no screen, simply by shooting the puck hard and for the open side and for daylight.

This whole bunch has lost confidence and they need to be put through intensive shooting drills till they have the confidence to hit the targets they are firing at.

This is the number one issue for this team. They are getting their chances, they are dominating the opposition in terms of puck control and shots on net, but they are not converting their opportunities.

This is a coaching issue.

Don't need to call up anyone...

The players on the team right now just need to get their confidence back and the best way to do that is shooting drills.

This. I mean they peppered the opposition with shots, they just need to improve the quality of those shots and they should be dangerous. Add some puck luck and a shooting drill against our AHL affiliates on Tuesday and the firepower ought to be re-ignited again.

Consider the stats: Daniel had 10 shots by himself tonight! Kesler had a bunch of chances (5 shots), and he fired wide from point blank on one of those. Higgins had 6 and a bunch of the complementary forwards also had a bunch of shots. They'll come along once they find that element (and once they face easier goalies).

Torts has it right, in 1:03-1:20, and especially 1:36-2:10; his calming mentality is what this team needs in these tough losses

The whole team is playing like the sedins cycling the puck and shooting from the outside

Exactly, that's because they have no confidence they can beat the opposing goalies one on one, so they don't challenge, they always are looking to pass off.

The only one who still wants to shoot is Kesler, but he is not mentally prepared. He is not positioning himself, he doesn't have his stick on the ice like he used to, and so his timing is out.

They should spend $250,000 and hire someone like Brett Hull to coach them on shooting the puck.

If they can spend money on a goaltending coach, they can spend money on a shooting coach.

Edit: Hull is an exec Vice President in charge of Business development with the Blues, but there are lots of former snipers out there who could coach.

It's not about shooting, it's about where you shoot from. Anyone can look at shot totals and say we should have won, but we didn't. Burrow's back hander today was the first time I've seen a Canuck take the initiative to walk into the slot to create a chance. It's usually the same old cycle down low then take a low percentage shot from the half wall or throw it to the point for a shot that gets blocked more often than not.

My coach in highschool always preached that he can make us run through all the plays until they're drilled in our heads but it means nothing unless we have the creativity to make something out of it. I think what we're seeing now is a predictable trend when it comes to the opposition realizing they can let us shoot all day because we are content with low quality chances.

The "Goals will come mantra" it's getting old quick.

Henrik needs shock therapy to get him to start shooting.

That must drive a coach crazy when a player has a lane to the net and the player decides to make a fancy little back pass.

Shoot the puck Henrik! It's like every play he makes has to be highlight reel caliber. Time to get some ugly goals.

Henrik needs shock therapy to get him to start shooting.

That must drive a coach crazy when a player has a lane to the net and the player decides to make a fancy little back pass.

Shoot the puck Henrik! It's like every play he makes has to be highlight reel caliber. Time to get some ugly goals.

Yeah that pass really pissed me off today.

Most goalies know he's always going to pass. I don't get why he doesn't shoot more, it will probably surprise them once in a while and go in......

But hitting the goalie in the crest is soooooo much fun. Oh and don't forget the shots we try and hit off the boards so they miraculously end up in the net..

Amazing how we manage to get 43 shots with the amount of times Edler and Garrison miss the net.

People wanna know why our powerplay has been so poor? Look at these two guys shooting accuracy. No one can even get a tip on it if it's 3 feet wide every time.

The thing about shooting drills is that you can't really take time away from practice to do them cause there will always be a million other things more important while preparing to play another NHL club during the season and playoffs. You can't ask Torts to take his practice time away cause shooting is a skill that players have to practice on their own time.

I always hear that they work hard in the off season to develop their skills, but I have yet to see a major improvement in their skill set. I feel like they are all too comfortable with where they are at as players. Kind of like "I made it to the NHL I can score around 20 goals, that's good enough.". There are a few players who you can see are making strides like Hansen. I remember Kesler said that he practiced his wrist shots all summer, and then that next season he was on fire. I'm fairly confident he has stopped practicing his shot to that extent because of that mind set suggested earlier. Great players never stop trying to get better, and I believe that truly is the difference between a 20 goal scorer and a 50 goal scorer. Watch Ovechkin during practice, whenever he has time he asks Backstrom if he wants to do one-timers, the same one-timers he scores a vast majority of his goals with.

To solve these problems the players have to take it upon themselves to get better, but you can't expect every athlete to be that dedicated to achieving personal greatness. Sometimes an athlete just needs a kick in the ass, or perhaps some sort of structure model laid out for them to get started, in other words they need motivation.

What I would suggest is that the coaches together create a skill test that challenges the players in stickhandling, shooting accuracy, etc. Just simple hockey drills that test their ability. Each player would be timed in each of the drills at the end of the season. After these drills the coaches would sit down and tell each player what they need to improve on during the offseason. During training camp, they would do the exact same drills and compare times from before the offseason. That way they have a better way of measuring if they are truly improving. Good thing about this is that it also creates fierce competition to get better times than your teammates, which is by far the best motivator. You don't want your buddy constantly chirping you about how he has better times than you. I'm not sure if other teams are doing this already, but I'd like our team to do this. I'm 100% sure that every player will show on ice improvement within the first year of this.

Yes, they are playing well, yes, they are getting a lot of shots on goal, BUT....

They are not shooting the puck well, they are not shooting like they believe they can beat the opposing goalie.

The only time they seem to score is on tap ins and screen shots when the opposing goalie can't see the puck. Any time they fire the puck at a goalie who can see them, they are shooting it right at the crest or without any real attempt to beat them. They are now shooting only for rebounds.

These are guys who used to challenge the opposing goalie to stop their shots, Burrows, Kesler and Daniel, not to mention Garrison and Edler, used to be able to beat a goalie when there was no screen, simply by shooting the puck hard and for the open side and for daylight.

This whole bunch has lost confidence and they need to be put through intensive shooting drills till they have the confidence to hit the targets they are firing at.

This is the number one issue for this team. They are getting their chances, they are dominating the opposition in terms of puck control and shots on net, but they are not converting their opportunities.

This is a coaching issue.

Great post! The shots are there but they're making it easy for goalies. A lot of shots directly on the pads, squarely at the net, without a lot of authority, nothing up high or even much of a challenge down low.

It's almost as if they're fine with just getting the shots on the net rather than really confident scoring chances. I've just noticed a lot of shots directly at the goalie rather than any sort of challenge.

In this new system, maybe that was part of the plan in the beginning ... make sure the shots are on the net, the goals will come. If so, they better find a way to take that plan to a higher level really soon.

Archived