The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] canucks-sabres

86Viking

Yeah, it's been proposed before, but a long time ago when Booth still had some value. Now, I think Buffalo would prefer to keep Stafford. 7 points and 27 hits in 22 games versus 3 points and 10 hits in 13 games, which would you rather keep? Especially since Booth's salary is higher than his cap hit (which is already higher than Stafford's) so I doubt a team like Buffalo that's not making any money would go for it.

Ville Leino on the other hand, they might think about.

leino has too many years left on his deal tho thats the issue.

I know booth value is next to nothing but theres some guys out their making similar $ who arent doing much either. so a swap of underachievers could be made, might have to tweak it a bit with a pick or something

Well, that's how you get someone back for a player like Booth who's been injured a lot and really underperformed of late. You take more cap back (which we can't) or a player with similar cap but longer term. Both have to be underperforming but I don't know that you find anyone underperforming quite as much as Booth is right now.

In your proposal, Stafford is doing more than Booth on a much worse team. Why would Buffalo think that's a good move?

• 1 month later...

Well, that's how you get someone back for a player like Booth who's been injured a lot and really underperformed of late. You take more cap back (which we can't) or a player with similar cap but longer term. Both have to be underperforming but I don't know that you find anyone underperforming quite as much as Booth is right now.

In your proposal, Stafford is doing more than Booth on a much worse team. Why would Buffalo think that's a good move?

That's quite the exaggeration IMHO. Drew got 1st line minutes when healthy with Cody and Moulson/ Ott, whereas David gets 3rd line minutes with Richardson and Kass. Talent-wise it doesn't take a genius to see the discrepancy in their line-mates' levels of talent. However, they're scoring at the same clip and David's at +4. If they're scoring at the same rate, but David gets 3rd-line partners, how is Drew doing much better? The reason they're at the same scoring clip is because Drew's been ice-cold just like David, and both teams have tried to jump start their scorer, but to no avail.

David could do well with the speedy, talented play-makers in Buffalo (him and Ennis could be something dangerous). Drew could really help diversify our PP problems, as the right-handed shot on the left side for Hank to setup. His size and good shot would also work well with the Twins esp. if he can regain his consistency. I would even be willing to throw in a pick if it means firing up the team's offense again.

PP 1:

Kes - Burr - Hank (Drew as far-side shooter, Burr as net guy, Hank to set up)

Bieksa - Garrison (bombers)

PP 2:

Santo - Drew - Daniel (Santo and Danny can set-up or shoot, Drew works in front)

Edler - Weber

think stafford is hurt right now, not sure on the extent of that injury tho. Better off probly dumping him via conditional pick, waivers or buyout and use all that cash to try bring in help in ufa

The two names that come up the most when people talk about buyouts in Buffalo are in fact Drew Stafford and Ville Leino. Although if I had my choice between the two, I would definitely buyout Leino before I would Stafford.

Stafford plays over 17 minutes per might, averages 2 minutes of powerplay time and has 1 less goal than Booth in 8 more games played.

Both players are almost exactly the same age, have almost identical contracts, and are American "power forwards" who have completely lost their game in what should be the prime years of their career.

Since both players are buyout candidates, a 1 for 1 deal makes sense.

Archived