The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Ferries new plan

Snake Doctor

I have a friend who's pretty high up in BC Ferries, and he's told me there's no way it's ever going to happen. It would generate lots of revenue, but you know as soon as there's an accident getting cars off of the boat they're getting sued.

A brothel boat on the other hand....

It's done everywhere else and the world hasn't come to a screeching halt. Nothing but excuses.

That's great. All you need to do it start selling alcohol to people on a boat, who got on that boat with THEIR car.

Excellent idea. Of course then they can set up a police roadblock right after departing the ferry and bust everyone getting off for DUI's. Funnel that money back into the ferry system as well.

Or people could be responsible adults. According to your philosophy we shouldn't serve alcohol to anyone who might get in a car afterwards. IE. Everywhere.

I also fail to see how this is different than drinking on land....?

Sure, but look at how much drama there is on the radio right now regarding....

A) Selling booze in grocery stores. Apparently it will allow teens to drink!

B) Legalising marijuana. Apparently it will let teens think it's ok to get high!

Won't someone please think of the children? Like for real. If you ever want to find a source for drugs, ask a teenager.......

Sure, but look at how much drama there is on the radio right now regarding....

A) Selling booze in grocery stores. Apparently it will allow teens to drink!

B) Legalising marijuana. Apparently it will let teens think it's ok to get high!

Won't someone please think of the children? Like for real. If you ever want to find a source for drugs, ask a teenager.......

Are you referring to that laughable Conservative attack ad with the "concerned mom" explaining how Justin Trudeau wants your children to smoke marijuana and make it easier for them to do so (I don't know how it could get any easier than it already is)?

If it wasn't so damned insulting to my intelligence it would actually be funnier. Sad things is, I'm sure that will actually work on some people... :picard:

Are you referring to that laughable Conservative attack ad with the "concerned mom" explaining how Justin Trudeau wants your children to smoke marijuana and make it easier for them to do so (I don't know how it could get any easier than it already is)?

If it wasn't so damned insulting to my intelligence it would actually be funnier. Sad things is, I'm sure that will actually work on some people... :picard:

Yep. And there's a fresh one opposing the sale of booze in liqour stores. I haven't looked it up but I suspect it's the private liqour retailers behind that one as they announced it as a concern already.

Not sure how it will affect the ability of your friends older brother to buy booze for you. Heck, just had my 20 year reunion in the summer, and I am TERRIBLE with names, but I can outright spell as it was my own the guy who's ID I used to borrow to get into the bar, even 20 years later.

To be on topic, you can just imagine the various activities you would do as a teenager on the ferry. Apparently the smaller and busier the boat the greater the challenge. Gotta love those island girls.

Perhaps they should stop being so concerned about how much profit they are earing and just provide the serivce. It used to be that the larger routes which are profitable subsidized the smaller routes which aren't. However now that sort of subsidization has been removed and cuts to smaller routes are occuring so that they aren't losing money.

This is the problem with using the ferry system as a crown corporation rather than a public service.

When I called the CPC to tell them about my disgust at the fact that they would blatantly lie like this to Canadians, random spokesguy for them essentially told me it is to gain the vote of Seniors.

Maybe we should buy Ferries that have low maintenance costs?

Start having the government buy waste veggie oil from all the restaurants in BC and make bio-diesel to cut down fuel costs.

Have ferries that have larger capacity?

Or

Split BC into BC and Vancouver Island including Gulf Islands. Have a gas tax of $0.05 per litre that goes directly into BC Ferries for Vancouver Island. Want Ferries, make the people in the Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island pay the price. Or have homeowners in the Island Trust and Vancouver Island have a $250 Ferry Tax Subsidy per year.

Meh...not sure what people expect. It's a costly service.

You don't want to pay more fares, you don't want to pay more taxes and you don't want to have a higher percentage of existing tax revenue go towards it (not that the provincial government has extra money anyway).

I say why stop at gambling.

I say sooner or later they are diggin a tunnel between Horseshoe Bay and Nanaimo. Save billions in the long run.

the trend is that the money flow is stopping - subsidies, grants.. seeing it in education, transportation.. already seeing programs and depts cut with people losing their jobs. the ministries have to cut $130 million over the next 3 years to balance the budget. this bit with the ferries is just the latest to hit the news but it ain't gonna stop there. i think everyone will get a crash course as to how much services are subsidized by the provincial government when the funding suddenly stops.

'The next 12 to 18 months are going to be tough'
—B.C. Finance Minster Mike de Jong

B.C. Finance Minster Mike de Jong tabled a budget update today calling for $130 million in cuts to provincial spending over the next three years, in part to make up for lower than expected economic growth.

Ministries are being asked to find $30 million in savings this year, and a core review of all government spending is aiming to find an additional $50 million in spending reductions and efficiencies in each of the next two years.

"We are putting ministries on notice that across government we are looking for $30 million in savings this fiscal year," said de Jong.

"In order to achieve the objective of balancing the budget it is going to require discipline and vigilance from everyone," he said. "The next 12 to 18 months are going to be tough, they’re going to be tough, but the long term prospects are good."

De Jong says the savings will come from a freeze on hiring along with cuts in travel and supplies like office furniture.

B.C. Finance Minister Mike de Jong is calling for $130 million in spending cuts over the next three years. (CBC)

But the NDP's finance critic Mike Farnworth says it all adds up to an unbalanced budget and a dishonest government.

"They are going to say whatever they are going to say to convince people that the budget is balanced. But it is ordinary British Columbians who are going to pay the price," he said.

Farnworth says the opposition plans to point out where British Columbians will be hurt, as it debates the budget line by line over the next month.

Economic growth lower than expected

The figures tabled by de Jong on Thursday in the legislature show the province’s already tight fiscal situation has gotten even tighter because lower than expected economic growth.

Between the original February budget and now, the projected budget surplus has been reduced from $197 million this year to $153 million.

Despite the cuts, over the full three-year plan the full provincial debt is forecast to increase by $14 billion — $631 million more than predicted in February, despite the fact the Liberals campaigned on a promise of a "debt free B.C." during the spring election.

"I don’t think it’s premature to be setting a target for what we’re hoping to achieve," said de Jong in response to questions about the apparent contradiction.

Jobs, retail, and housing below expectations

De Jong said the drop in government revenue is based on lower economic growth projections for the year.

The government is now banking on the B.C. economy growing by just 1.4 per cent this year versus the original prediction of 1.6 per cent. That translates into approximately $500 million in lost GDP.

Further fuelling the lower numbers are drops in retails sales, job growth and housing starts.

• The employment growth rate was predicted to be 1.1 per cent but is now at 0.7 per cent, a difference of 9,000 fewer jobs than forecast.
  • Retail sales growth was predicted to be 3.5 per cent, but is now at 1.8 per cent.
  • Housing starts were predicted to be 24,679, but are now at 23,800.
  • However, there is a small increase being forecast in resource revenues, particularly from natural gas.

The government also confirmed that asset sales announced in the spring are proceeding and is banking on $475 million in such sales this year.

Currently they have achieved 38 per cent of that goal with $181 million in sales either completed or with a firm sales contract in place. There are an additional $58 million in properties on the market or with sales being negotiated.

There were no new tax or program announcements in the update.

The Liberal budget introduced earlier this year wasn’t passed before the legislature was dissolved for the provincial election, so the province was required by law to update the fiscal projections and re-table the document.

Finance Minster Mike de Jong says rest of the month-long summer sitting will be devoted to debating and passing the budget.

I also fail to see how this is different than drinking on land....?

You ever been on the ferry? There is nothing to ???? do. People would get wasted before they even got halfway to Victoria not that I would blame them once you get there, there is even less to do.

When I called the CPC to tell them about my disgust at the fact that they would blatantly lie like this to Canadians, random spokesguy for them essentially told me it is to gain the vote of Seniors.

Lying to Canadians, particularly seniors, for votes is a tried and true Conservative strategy. Worked pretty well last election! This should not be news to anyone.

Maybe we should buy Ferries that have low maintenance costs?

Start having the government buy waste veggie oil from all the restaurants in BC and make bio-diesel to cut down fuel costs.

Have ferries that have larger capacity?

Or

Split BC into BC and Vancouver Island including Gulf Islands. Have a gas tax of $0.05 per litre that goes directly into BC Ferries for Vancouver Island. Want Ferries, make the people in the Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island pay the price. Or have homeowners in the Island Trust and Vancouver Island have a $250 Ferry Tax Subsidy per year.

Jebus, can you please run BC Ferries?! We'll pay you half the current guy's salary. $50k bonus if you get it to run like a proper service/financially responsibly.

You ever been on the ferry? There is nothing to ???? do. People would get wasted before they even got halfway to Victoria not that I would blame them once you get there, there is even less to do.

Ignorant statement. There's a lot of (ignorant) people who feel the same way about Vancouver too. Again...don't see how drinking and driving laws are different on a ferry vs on land.

Archived