The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Ferries new plan

Snake Doctor

You can't leave your car there if you cross(or even come close to) the limit.

So you institute a policy or law where you get your car towed off and you take a cab. or some other solution. It's amazing how quick you people are too dismiss an idea because a tiny percentage of the population might abuse it.

So you institute a policy or law where you get your car towed off and you take a cab. or some other solution. It's amazing how quick you people are too dismiss an idea because a tiny percentage of the population might abuse it.

Isn't this why we're discussing it? To brainstorm? I'd love to legally drink a brew or two on the sailing...right up until a family gets flung off the upper levels cause that one idiot can't cut himself off. And what are they going to do, breathalyze everyone leaving the lounge? Say there is two people unfit to drive, hold up sailings to tow these people off? There's a lot of logistics that come into play.

Isn't this why we're discussing it? To brainstorm? I'd love to legally drink a brew or two on the sailing...right up until a family gets flung off the upper levels cause that one idiot can't cut himself off. And what are they going to do, breathalyze everyone leaving the lounge? Say there is two people unfit to drive, hold up sailings to tow these people off? There's a lot of logistics that come into play.

Again you could apply that logic to anything. One idiot had too much and crashes on a bridge blocking traffic. That happens but banning drinking is never suggested.

This whole dumbing down of society to the lowest common denominator is depressing especially how happily you all seem to accept it.

That's just a dumb statement. I've been to Vancouver Island multiple times and it BLOWS there is absolutely nothing to do there period. Vancouver has a million things you can do regardless of what you are interested in.

That being said I would like you to explain to me what exactly you can do on the ridiculously long and boring ferry ride. There is nothing to do if you start serving drinks of alcohol people are just going to start getting drunk because that's the ONLY thing you have will be able to do on the ferry.

I have no problem entertaining myself both on the ferry and on the island. The view. particularly through the active pass, is breathtaking. If you can time your trip to go through there at sunrise or sunset, even better. Standing out on the deck leaning in to the wind with that beautiful scenery is joy IMO. I manage to kill the rest of the trip spending time with my family, reading, catching a bite to eat/drink... get shuffled back down to the car deck before you know it!

The island itself has all sorts of outdoor activities, beaches, parks, camping etc. Then there's the touristy stuff largely in/around Victoria like Butchart Gardens, countless museums/shops/restaurants etc.

If you can't find something to do, that's a reflection of you, not the island. Perhaps Vegas or New York is more up your alley in that case. If so, why the hell are you going to the island anyway?

Again you could apply that logic to anything. One idiot had too much and crashes on a bridge blocking traffic. That happens but banning drinking is never suggested.

This whole dumbing down of society to the lowest common denominator is depressing especially how happily you all seem to accept it.

Banning drinking establishments is never suggested because you do NOT have to drive out of the parking lot. We seem to be going in circles here. As I said before, if just one life is saved...I'm fine with it. Theres idiots in this world, you're going to have to get used to it.

I have no problem entertaining myself both on the ferry and on the island. The view. particularly through the active pass, is breathtaking. If you can time your trip to go through there at sunrise or sunset, even better. Standing out on the deck leaning in to the wind with that beautiful scenery is joy IMO. I manage to kill the rest of the trip spending time with my family, reading, catching a bite to eat/drink... get shuffled back down to the car deck before you know it!

The island itself has all sorts of outdoor activities, beaches, parks, camping etc. Then there's the touristy stuff largely in/around Victoria like Butchart Gardens, countless museums/shops/restaurants etc.

If you can't find something to do, that's a reflection of you, not the island. Perhaps Vegas or New York is more up your alley in that case. If so, why the hell are you going to the island anyway?

Don't even waste your time JR....love the island! :)

Banning drinking establishments is never suggested because you do NOT have to drive out of the parking lot. We seem to be going in circles here. As I said before, if just one life is saved...I'm fine with it. Theres idiots in this world, you're going to have to get used to it.

You don't have to drive on/off the ferry either. You could be a passenger in a car, foot traffic, bus tour...

Still no different than land.

You don't have to but people do.

Just like on land ;)

Really any silly excuse you guys come up with will have an "on land" parallel. But hey if you guys are cool continuing the trend of pandering to the stupid, trouble making minority at the cost of everyone else...

Just like on land ;)

Really any silly excuse you guys come up with will have an "on land" parallel. But hey if you guys are cool continuing the trend of pandering to the stupid, trouble making minority at the cost of everyone else...

It's amazing how they pull this 'families will plunge into the ocean' bs but it's exactly the same 'danger' as anywhere else.

I really don't see what the issue is. Have extra stiff penalties for causing an issue with the needing your car towed off the ferry should take care of all but the absolute stupidest people.

Car towed and impounded (at cost of owner), standard police issued fines (and/or jail time) and an additional say $300 fine from BC Ferries (which could go back in to funding :towel: ...win, win!).

It's amazing how they pull this 'families will plunge into the ocean' bs but it's exactly the same 'danger' as anywhere else.

Never mind how many of these "problem" people could just as easily (if they're not already) bring their own booze with them anyway. Not much stopping someone from sitting in their car with their "water" bottle full of vodka as it is.

If someone's stupid/addicted enough to drink and drive on the ferry, having a bar on board will make no difference other than obvious reactionary headlines after the first time it happens when/if they actually implement a bar on board.

Just like on land ;)

Well hey, that's just my opinion and maybe I am in the minority. The difference I see is that you can't leave your car like on land....which is a huge difference, IMO. And I also think about the innocent victim who may be harmed in this situation. Do I like or think its fair to pander to the stupid, no...but life ain't fair. It seems selfish to me to endanger lives so you can have a little more enjoyable of a ferry ride....but thats just me.

Never mind how many of these "problem" people could just as easily (if they're not already) bring their own booze with them anyway. Not much stopping someone from sitting in their car with their "water" bottle full of vodka as it is.

If someone's stupid/addicted enough to drink and drive on the ferry, having a bar on board will make no difference other than obvious reactionary headlines after the first time it happens when/if they actually implement a bar on board.

Ok so lets give these idiots another outlet...great idea!! :rolleyes:

Well hey, that's just my opinion and maybe I am in the minority. The difference I see is that you can't leave your car like on land....which is a huge difference, IMO. And I also think about the innocent victim who may be harmed in this situation. Do I like or think its fair to pander to the stupid, no...but life ain't fair. It seems selfish to me to endanger lives so you can have a little more enjoyable of a ferry ride....but thats just me.

No, sadly you're probably in the majority.

I'd imagine for the rare occurrence someone wasn't responsible enough to monitor their own intake but are responsible enough to know they shouldn't be driving (as on land), they could let one of the ferry attendant's know and have them drive his/her car off the boat and park it. Only difference is the car would have to be moved.

As for the underlined... Again, the same applies on land yet you accept that...?

Also, it's not JUST so people can have a more enjoyable ferry ride. Largely, it's a funding model so people could have an affordable ferry ride.

Yah I understand your viewpoint but I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have never had your life rocked by a drunk driver.

I haven't, but if that's your fight, you have way bigger fish to fry than the potential for a crash on bc ferries due to someone drinking on the ferry.

Archived