The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Most Honest Team Since '94

Ugli Fruit

I see this team finally now as a proper NHL team. You hear Torts saying, "It happens to all teams" and he's right. Holy heck, this is the definition of consistent hockey. I've been yelling about how this team is so inconsistent the past 2 years, and now we finally have that key element.

This team is not that good - it shows when we lose. How? We lose when we are outplayed by the other team. Last year we lost because we sucked that game. This is an honest NHL team, and if the Canucks make the playoffs, they will give whatever team they face a very tough series, because that's the one and only way they will achieve success.

I missed the Dallas game and when I saw the score, I said, "Wow. The Canucks must have played awful to lose to Dallas". Then I went an saw the highlights. I saw how the team generated lots of scoring chances and compete. I saw the retarded disallowed goal and realized that we were getting bad breaks. I saw how the team would play the same way win or lose. I was instantly okay with the loss. The team did everything possible to try and win. Doesn't this at least put your mind at ease about the future of this club more than if they were playing like they were last year?

The Canucks can't rely on a magical January like usual to gain a playoff spot, because they lack the talent. However, you can sure bet that they will bring their 100% almost every game of the season, and when they win, it'll be 100% deserved. No more will we say, "We were lucky to get that win. The ____ were tired and we had bounces", like we said before.

I'm really excited as Canucks fan right now, way more excited than I was during the 10-11 season, because we hadn't seen hockey like this since '94, in my opinion. Hard-working, industrious players with no name and a smidge of skill. What the team needs is more skill. This will place them as a quiet contender, through consistent, textbook hockey.

LoB

Canucks have been missing something for the last 2 years. Even though they're a good regular season team, they've had a weak division to help them outshine the others. Now that they have some solid competition in our new division, they have to find different ways to win.

An honest team as you put it, is now a team that actually has to fight back to stay alive.

Nice Post Ugli Fruit :)

We don't have that same top notch dominance like we did in 10-11, but we are still finding ways to win.

Our PK is Exceeding Expectations, we are doing pretty good defensively 5 on 5, Luongo is playing Decent (He saved some games for us), Torts is coaching outstanding, we have a good forecheck system, defensemen pinch much better, our overall defensive system rocks with the block shots.

Oh yeah, and the Sedins & Kesler aren't declining.

+Santorelli, Stanton and Richardson are awesome. Good job on that part MG :)

The only thing I'm worried about are the Refs and the Powerplay.

Powerplay:

1. One way to solve our PP is to not always go for the point shots 24/7.

2. We have to have the Forwards taking shots from the slot more.

3. We need to be more tight in the Offensive zone (as Torts Said), as in bury and get to rebounds.

4. If this doesn't work , try Booth/Kassian/Richardson or mix the 1st and 2nd units.

5. If we still can't score, tell Lack to go in net for the PP. Try Luongo as the guy up front for the gigantic screen :)

If we get out PP right, we will be a contender by making the playoffs.

I once saw Gollumpus write something like this: "Any Team who makes the Playoffs is a contender". It's True, just look at LA when they own the cup.

Our solution is our PP, and we need it, Badly.

Refs:

1. No solution, just bear with it.

:)

Holy heck, this is the definition of consistent hockey. I've been yelling about how this team is so inconsistent the past 2 years, and now we finally have that key element.

have you watched the last 4 or 5 games? how can you say our top players have been consistent?

generating chances does not matter if they are not capitalized on more than once a game

Great post. This team has a great amount of heart and grit they lacked before. The skill isn't as widespread as it was in 2011, but the team won't fold up like a lawn chair if pushed around.

Outside of the LA game, this team has shown a better resolve and a willingness to claw their way back into games.

have you watched the last 4 or 5 games? how can you say our top players have been consistent?

generating chances does not matter if they are not capitalized on more than once a game

Heaven forefend they lose more than one game in a season. This team is dominating games they aren't winning. Whereas in years past they won games they shouldn't have.

I see this team finally now as a proper NHL team. You hear Torts saying, "It happens to all teams" and he's right. Holy heck, this is the definition of consistent hockey. I've been yelling about how this team is so inconsistent the past 2 years, and now we finally have that key element.

This team is not that good - it shows when we lose. How? We lose when we are outplayed by the other team. Last year we lost because we sucked that game. This is an honest NHL team, and if the Canucks make the playoffs, they will give whatever team they face a very tough series, because that's the one and only way they will achieve success.

I missed the Dallas game and when I saw the score, I said, "Wow. The Canucks must have played awful to lose to Dallas". Then I went an saw the highlights. I saw how the team generated lots of scoring chances and compete. I saw the retarded disallowed goal and realized that we were getting bad breaks. I saw how the team would play the same way win or lose. I was instantly okay with the loss. The team did everything possible to try and win. Doesn't this at least put your mind at ease about the future of this club more than if they were playing like they were last year?

The Canucks can't rely on a magical January like usual to gain a playoff spot, because they lack the talent. However, you can sure bet that they will bring their 100% almost every game of the season, and when they win, it'll be 100% deserved. No more will we say, "We were lucky to get that win. The ____ were tired and we had bounces", like we said before.

I'm really excited as Canucks fan right now, way more excited than I was during the 10-11 season, because we hadn't seen hockey like this since '94, in my opinion. Hard-working, industrious players with no name and a smidge of skill. What the team needs is more skill. This will place them as a quiet contender, through consistent, textbook hockey.

LoB

Hard-working, industrious no name players and a smidge of skill? You mean like the same squad that led the league in goals-for -- Hank and Dan, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis? Ehrhoff is an offensive loss, but this team is otherwise quite similar to the highly talented teams of the recent past.

This isn't a lunchbucket team. It's still a team that's supposed to compete on an elite level, and threaten other teams with offensive forays. It's not happening now, but there's still time for them to pick it up (though they better not wait too much longer in the ultra-tough West).

As for your broader philosophical point, teams are nothing without a talented base. I'd rather have a highly talented team that took a few nights off in a long, grueling season (and still won most of those games anyway, due to sheer talent) rather than a team that busts their a$$ every game, and still loses many of them 2-1.

Hard-working, industrious no name players and a smidge of skill? You mean like the same squad that led the league in goals-for -- Hank and Dan, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis? Ehrhoff is an offensive loss, but this team is otherwise quite similar to the highly talented teams of the recent past.

This isn't a lunchbucket team. It's still a team that's supposed to compete on an elite level, and threaten other teams with offensive forays. It's not happening now, but there's still time for them to pick it up (though they better not wait too much longer in the ultra-tough West).

As for your broader philosophical point, teams are nothing without a talented base. I'd rather have a highly talented team that took a few nights off in a long, grueling season (and still won most of those games anyway, due to sheer talent) rather than a team that busts their a$$ every game, and still loses many of them 2-1.

You're telling me the team does not exist after those players? Please tell me how much better the Sedins are doing than Santorelli, Richardson, Stanton, all for their respective roles. Santorelli and Richardson are tied for 4th in team scoring with 5. They have more goals than Henrik. Stanton is 3rd in points among Canucks D, more than Hamhuis and Edler.

What does that tell you? Industrious, no-name, hard-working forwards like Santorelli and Richardson are making the difference and is a HUGE part of why the team is in playoff contention as of now. Know what else that tells you? The same core from 10-11 is now older. More battle-worn. Kesler won't be the same. The Sedins had clearly peaked at 10-11. Right now, the once-so-glistening core players are synchronizedly aging. Nobody on this team right now are night-in night-out elites. Same goes for Luongo. Even they have to stay relatively honest - if they don't put in 100%, they're not outright better than their opponents. Who will Kesler dance around unless he puts in 100% - like in the Dallas game - Doughty? Weber? Please. You think of the core as immortal, but, life goes on. We are nearing the end of the Sedin era and all of its related players. Remember Naslund's production near the end of his era ? Yeah.

You're telling me the team does not exist after those players? Please tell me how much better the Sedins are doing than Santorelli, Richardson, Stanton, all for their respective roles. Santorelli and Richardson are tied for 4th in team scoring with 5. They have more goals than Henrik. Stanton is 3rd in points among Canucks D, more than Hamhuis and Edler.

What does that tell you? Industrious, no-name, hard-working forwards like Santorelli and Richardson are making the difference and is a HUGE part of why the team is in playoff contention as of now. Know what else that tells you? The same core from 10-11 is now older. More battle-worn. Kesler won't be the same. The Sedins had clearly peaked at 10-11. Right now, the once-so-glistening core players are synchronizedly aging. Nobody on this team right now are night-in night-out elites. Same goes for Luongo. Even they have to stay relatively honest - if they don't put in 100%, they're not outright better than their opponents. Who will Kesler dance around unless he puts in 100% - like in the Dallas game - Doughty? Weber? Please. You think of the core as immortal, but, life goes on. We are nearing the end of the Sedin era and all of its related players. Remember Naslund's production near the end of his era ? Yeah.

The Sedins aren't much below their usual PPG levels of one PPG other than the two Ehrhoff years. In one of those years, Kesler had 40 goals. And not coincidentally, the Canucks were one win from taking their first Cup. This team, as of today, wouldn't make the playoffs. I'm not being negative, just relating some basic comparative stats.

If we're nearing the end of the Sedin era, I don't know what you've got to be so cheerful about. It'll be the Calgary Flames program -- you know, one where we ignore the handwriting on the wall, keep Dan and Hank and Luongo on the decline (see: Iginla and Kiprusoff) and get nothing or next to nothing for them. If you think Bo Horvat, Shinkaruk, Schroeder and Jensen are going to vault us into an elite status, along with "lunchpail" Santorelli (UFA FLA expendable) and Richardson (expendable 3rd/4th C) and Stanton (expendable though solid bottom pairing), then we'll have to agree to disagree.

The Sedins aren't much below their usual PPG levels of one PPG other than the two Ehrhoff years. In one of those years, Kesler had 40 goals. And not coincidentally, the Canucks were one win from taking their first Cup. This team, as of today, wouldn't make the playoffs. I'm not being negative, just relating some basic comparative stats.

If we're nearing the end of the Sedin era, I don't know what you've got to be so cheerful about. It'll be the Calgary Flames program -- you know, one where we ignore the handwriting on the wall, keep Dan and Hank and Luongo on the decline (see: Iginla and Kiprusoff) and get nothing or next to nothing for them. If you think Bo Horvat, Shinkaruk, Schroeder and Jensen are going to vault us into an elite status, along with "lunchpail" Santorelli (UFA FLA expendable) and Richardson (expendable 3rd/4th C) and Stanton (expendable though solid bottom pairing), then we'll have to agree to disagree.

I'm not being cheerful. I was being realistic. I didn't even say anything like "we will make the playoffs". I know that this team is not that great. YOU were the one who said this isn't a lunchbucket team, implying that this team is more skill than will.

You contradict yourself by NOW saying this team is on the decline and start babbling about rebuild plans (are you ok?), and you fail to understand that this team is undoubtedly more blue collar than any of the past we've seen for many a year. If you can't agree, then stop posting, because you are making no sense.

I'm not being cheerful. I was being realistic. I didn't even say anything like "we will make the playoffs". I know that this team is not that great. YOU were the one who said this isn't a lunchbucket team, implying that this team is more skill than will.

You contradict yourself by NOW saying this team is on the decline and start babbling about rebuild plans (are you ok?), and you fail to understand that this team is undoubtedly more blue collar than any of the past we've seen for many a year. If you can't agree, then stop posting, because you are making no sense.

I think your original point has a lot of merit (I'm not saying this post doesn't have merit but I really wanted to just dedicate it towards the OP)

The Canucks are a very hard-working team that just doesn't give up and doesn't step off the gas. The struggle that they go through when down a goal is very remarkable. I feel that the other team has more to fear with a goal up. The Canucks can surprise and despite being overlooked this season, they are deceptively sneaky - far more than AV's 'line match-up' routine.

Every single game - the common theme is shots on goal. Last game, Lehtonen faced over 40+ shots. He worked hard, though a lot of the shots were saved because of good positioning, rather than low shots that Lehtonen would not be able to stop.

AV never seemed to emphasize this.

Moreover, Tortorella is a coach that learns from his mistakes - AV might, but he never openly admits this, which would make him seem arrogant and cold.

I think there's a plethora of reasons to be excited about being a Canucks fan now.

Archived