The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade Deadline] Secondary Scoring/Depth *Booth Free Deals!*

To Philadelphia:

- Eddie Lack/Joacim Ericsson

- Jordan Schroeder

To Vancouver:

- Sean Couturier

- 3rd/4th round pick (dependant if Schroeder signs or not)

Philly does this trade to cement their goalie future because as of now, it isn't quite stable with Mason and Emery. Lack and Ericsson have almost the same potential to become #1 goaltenders in the near (2-4 years) future but I'd simply give away Ericsson since we've already seen Lacks' potential and know he is a great guy to have in the locker room plus was recently extended. Also, it gets rid of the Schenn/Couturier battle and makes things less complicated and they get a playmaking Schroeder with top 6 potential who can easily be slotted in wing giving more options. Philly also has a history with Ericsson and know how good he is since they've had chances to get him multiples times so it would make sense if they got him too.

Vancouver does this trade because they have the luxury of doing so with the 2 great backup goalies and also, get a gem prospect. Solidify's the C problem and Couturier was a top 3 pick who fell 8th to Philly and even though has less points potential that Schenn has a much better defensive game and is Selke calibre potential. Also, adding a mid-pick won't hurt as MG has said he's not looking to trade away picks (despite how that may sound lol).

To Colorado:

- Alex Edler

- Brendan Gaunce

To Vancouver:

- Ryan O'Reilly

- Tyson Barrie

Deal happens if there is prior talks that O'Reilly will agree to sign with Vancouver making sure he doesn't walk.

Colorado does it because it eases the logjam at centre with Stastny, Duchene, Mackinnon, and Talbot then some with prospects. Also, finally gives Erik Johnson a dman to pair up with and takes off the burden of controlling the backend alone. Colorado has already fallen back to 4th in their division and shows they couldn't keep up the amazing start to the season and that their defense isn't good enough. Colorado also gets Gaunce, a potentialfull prospect who can grow in the minors for some years and not cause more havoc on the NHL squad at centre.

Vancouver does this to really solidify the centre position and gives plenty of depth. O'Reilly can also play wing making him versatile and gives the coaches more options where to utilize him. He is just 22 years and is already a close to ppg player and is a top 5 Selke player already in the league at this young age. And Barrie is a offensive minded, smooth skating young dman born in BC with potential still. Could easily fill in the offensively for Edler when fully developed to some extent. Nucks also give away Gaunce as O'Reilly, Horvat, Couturier is the future for this team at C and they are either all Selke calibre potential or already are there. The safety these players would give on both ends of the ice would be lethal and the stability they bring is never a bad thing. O'Reilly again can play wing so we can keep all 3 without there being a fuzz on we have too many young C's for the future.

Lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Higgins - Santorelli - O'Reilly

Burrows - Couturier - Hansen

Booth - Richardson - Kassian

Welsh/Archibald

Hamhuis - Garrison

Tanev - Bieksa

Barrie - Stanton

Alberts, Weber

Luongo

Lack/Ericsson

Allows Torts to roll 4 lines for once and a much needed offensive boost is given. Defense is this teams strong point so I'm sure they can adjust with the loss of 1 defender (Plus allows Tanev's role to increase which will only make him better) and best part, have 4 potential Selke calibre players in the future with Kesler, O'Reilly, Couturier, and Horvat...just unreal really.

A couple of things,

"Philly does this trade to cement their goalie future because as of now, it isn't quite stable with Mason and Emery. Lack and Ericsson have almost the same potential to become #1 goaltenders in the near (2-4 years) future but I'd simply give away Ericsson since we've already seen Lacks"

Philly does not do this trade because Lack or Ericsson does not cement their future. Lack has played 5 games and although has potential, that just potential it doesn't cement anything. Also Flyers drafted Ericsson and let him leave their system why would they pay any price to get him back. doesn't make any sense. Then as of right now Schroeder is not more valuable the Couturier. More value would have to be coming from Vancouver's side, and I don't see that wanting Lack or Ericsson.

"Colorado does it because it eases the logjam at centre with Stastny, Duchene, Mackinnon, and Talbot then some with prospects"

Then why does COL want Gaunce? I don't think COL deals O"Reilly even for Edler unless they feel his extension negotiations are going now where and even still he's RFA at the end of the year not a UFA, so COL holds the power

Just my thought

Steve Mason

GAA: 2.13

Save Percent: .931%

In other words Flyers have no interest.

Eriksson is 23 and never played an NHL game and is struggling in the AHL.

Lack is 25 (older than Mason by a few months) and only played 5 NHL games in which he has been slightly above average but certainly no where near as impressive as Mason.

I think Philly would rather have Couturier, and I wouldn't want to be the guy explaining to our fan base next year why we traded for O'Reilly when we've had to up his contract to $6.5M this summer (he has to be qualified at his most recent salary) making him our 3rd highest paid player.

Steve Mason

GAA: 2.13

Save Percent: .931%

In other words Flyers have no interest.

Eriksson is 23 and never played an NHL game and is struggling in the AHL.

Lack is 25 (older than Mason by a few months) and only played 5 NHL games in which he has been slightly above average but certainly no where near as impressive as Mason.

This.

People are crapting all over the Flyers goaltending

but the simple truth is - this year, it's the offense that isn't going.

No to the first trade. All of Vancouver's players are valued at around a 3rd-5th round pick. We would have to add in our first rounder.

The second trade is a little bit better, and I see the justification of getting the Gaunce brothers together but the trade makes more sense without swapping prospects.

I would do Edler for O'Reilly with a conditional first round pick (in case he doesn't sign).

Colorado is very deep at centre but weak in terms of offense on D, this deal would help both teams.

Bump.

...lack of scoring still - not an overreaction cause it's the truth this team can't score much, wouldn't you say it's time to do trades like this now?

It's obvious we've stepped down and the only way to win is relying on youth to do it. These trades get us younger and instant production and is why a trade(s) of this sort is the best and most beneficial to this team. Our secondary guys can't get it going and it's not like they'll turn it around anytime soon.

Bump.

...lack of scoring still - not an overreaction cause it's the truth this team can't score much, wouldn't you say it's time to do trades like this now?

It's obvious we've stepped down and the only way to win is relying on youth to do it. These trades get us younger and instant production and is why a trade(s) of this sort is the best and most beneficial to this team. Our secondary guys can't get it going and it's not like they'll turn it around anytime soon.

These are panic trades, no need for them in my opinion. We are moving in the right direction, we just can't score on our opportunities, usually outplaying the opponents..

Archived