The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler's contract extension doesn't look like a bargain these days

gradin123

Gillis has long been credited for bringing back players at good value.

However, I think some of his recent extensions are starting to look dubious, especially the Edler and Burrows contracts.

I disliked Edler's extension right from the start. Edler was coming off a really bad 2011/2012 playoff series and mediocre start to last season and he had known back issues when he was re-signed to a 6 year $30Million contract extension. It seemed really unnecessary to me at the time. His level of play was very inconsistent after his extension last year and that play has continued into the this year.

He certainly isn't a bargain at his current cap hit, despite playing a lot of minutes this year he isn't playing that well. He has only 6 points this year and is a team worst -9. He also has a negative on/off ice corsi rating. I would say he has played very mediocre and is showing no signs that his play is bound to improve in the future. Some people like Botchford think he was signed at a real bargain but I don't think Botch and I are watching the same player.

Yes, Edler has a no trade clause but he very well may be willing to waive it and I think that if Edler's perceived value around the league is enough to bring in a potential top 6 forward I would do that trade especially considering Stanton has played well and they still have Corrardo and Tanev could probably step into a bigger role. I personally think getting rid of Edler's contract now while they still can will save the Canucks a lot of headaches later and if they can get a good player back for him that is a bonus.

I don't see how you could put Burrows in that category, He's coming off an injury, has to adjust to 2 new line-mates, was over-due for a raise and clutch in the p/o. I'd say he's getting the right amount for what he brings to the table...Lot's of hockey left to be plaid, people need to chill.

For all the hate I have on MG, you're faulting him on two things of which he deserves zero blame. Nobody (not even Edler and Burrows) deserves blame for their two contracts. Edler and Burrows are going through extreme slumps right now. They've been productive throughout their ENTIRE previous contract and MG made a smart move in re-signing them.

Of all his blunders and mistakes, you're expecting him to think, "these guys will suddenly suck so I'm either gonna trade them or let them walk". Forget about what you're thinking on this matter right now. Close your eyes and imagine what would've happened had MG got rid of Edler and Burrows on TOP of the Schneider trade.

I think Edler should've gotten 4 Mil per year but that's just me.

It's interesting when you think about it though. The Canucks have a number of "bargain" contracts on their roster and are right up against the cap at the same time. With all of these supposed bargains on the forward lines, defense, and goal, should we not be seeing better results? We definitely should not be allowing more goals than we score.

Maybe Edler and some of these other discount players aren't quite the value that they seemed.

I think Edler should've gotten 4 Mil per year but that's just me.

It's interesting when you think about it though. The Canucks have a number of "bargain" contracts on their roster and are right up against the cap at the same time. With all of these supposed bargains on the forward lines, defense, and goal, should we not be seeing better results? We definitely should not be allowing more goals than we score.

Maybe Edler and some of these other discount players aren't quite the value that they seemed.

Most teams don't have 4 defensemen making 4.5-5 million. The Problem with the Canucks is pretty simple Burrows and Booth are both being paid top 6 dollars and neither of them are top 6 players. If we got rid of those contracts and got 1 actually top 3 player or 2 actual top 6 players this team would look great unfortunately we are stuck with them and we can only hope that they produce.

5M for a 40-50 point defenceman who plays big PP and PK minutes, has around an even plus-minus, has a huge frame and can play physically is a bargain.

Problem is that right now Edler is a 30 point defenceman, not on the PP, not hitting as much as he used to and has one of the league's worst +/- ratings.

That being said he's looked better these last few games. I'm willing to give Edler until the halfway point of this season for him to get his stats around to where they need to be, otherwise MG should ask him where he wouldn't mind getting traded to.

5M for a 40-50 point defenceman who plays big PP and PK minutes, has around an even plus-minus, has a huge frame and can play physically is a bargain.

Problem is that right now Edler is a 30 point defenceman, not on the PP, not hitting as much as he used to and has one of the league's worst +/- ratings.

That being said he's looked better these last few games. I'm willing to give Edler until the halfway point of this season for him to get his stats around to where they need to be, otherwise MG should ask him where he wouldn't mind getting traded to.

As far as goals go he is on pace with last year and slightly behind his 49 points season. Where he's really down on points is assists. But when the forwards can't buy a goal d-men assists are bound to drop.

Btw. MG has said players with ntc's have earned them and he won't ask players to waive their ntc. Nor have I ever heard of a player waiving his ntc immediately after negotiating it into his contract.

So give up the idea of trading Edler.

Gillis has long been credited for bringing back players at good value.

However, I think some of his recent extensions are starting to look dubious, especially the Edler and Burrows contracts.

I disliked Edler's extension right from the start. Edler was coming off a really bad 2011/2012 playoff series and mediocre start to last season and he had known back issues when he was re-signed to a 6 year $30Million contract extension. It seemed really unnecessary to me at the time. His level of play was very inconsistent after his extension last year and that play has continued into the this year.

He certainly isn't a bargain at his current cap hit, despite playing a lot of minutes this year he isn't playing that well. He has only 6 points this year and is a team worst -9. He also has a negative on/off ice corsi rating. I would say he has played very mediocre and is showing no signs that his play his bound to improve in the future. Some people like Botchford think he was signed at a real bargain but I don't think Botch and I are watching the same player.

Yes, Edler has a no trade clause but he very well may be willing to waive it and I think that if Edler's perceived value around the league is enough to bring in a potential top 6 forward I would do that trade especially considering Stanton has played well and they still have Corrardo and Tanev could probably step into a bigger role. I personally think getting rid of Edler's contract now while they still can will save the Canucks a lot of headaches later and if they can get a good player back for him that is a bonus.

Yeah you're absolutely right! Looking back on the time of Edler's current deal (a whole 20 games!), who could believe he was being paid for how he was performing. And since he is playing so poorly, it's obvious that no one is going to trade for Edler.so I guess the Canucks are stuck with him. Shame about that, eh?

Oh well, he only has another 470 games (and playoffs) to go and he will be off the books.

regards,

G.

What is strange to me is that Edler should be starting to hit his prime right around now...instead there is some regression in his game that a lot of us have seen the last while.

Maybe after those back problems he just isn't the same player? Hopefully that is not the case because the Canucks really need Edler to step up, especially with the club struggling like it is.

Archived