The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another Edler Thread (including mine)

Leadite

Why is nearly everyone on Edlers case? It appears to be a common theme. Is it the slump,does he make to much money? To many mistakes? Even if the situation ever arose for a deal (wave NTC),I think it would be a huge mistake to move him. When he plays his game,he is an elite defense man. Didn't all other teams have a sniff when word was out he may be available last summer. That should tell you something. JT will have him playing his game again. Then all the; "Thank goodness we didn't trade him" threads will start. You can't win.

I have not been a fan of Edlers' play the past few years, but with that being said, I don't believe he has made as many mistakes in this short season, as he has the past couple.

I think he is a guy that has potential, but he will never see the ice like Lidstrom or even Kronwall for that matter. I think the expectation level for Alex has been set too high. I think he will always struggle with consistency because he doesn't have the vision of the top dmen in the league or the hockey IQ. I can't and won't fault him for that.

He is a decent skater with a good shot who can lay some hellish body checks when he is having a good game. He simply doesn't process the game well enough at speed.

Yeah, why can't he be more like that Shea Weber guy? He was only -2 last season, and currently a mere -8 in this season.

regards,

G.

No kidding. Edler plays the most minutes of all Canucks D every year and is top or near the top in points. While his +/- doesn't always look great, he does have good Corsi over the years at 5 on 5 and is usually our best defenceman in terms of hits and blocked shots.

He makes too much money.

His contract is too long.

He can't play defence.

He makes huge mistakes at the worst times.

One of the slowest players around.

No hockey IQ.

Rides the Sedin's coat tails.

Contract makes our defence unadaptable.

Other than that he's servicable.

Edler is doing better than he was the last couple of years. He looks pretty solid out there lately. Not sure why people harp on this guy so much. Every dman makes gaffes. Chara, Weber, Suter...they all screw up on their own end on occasion.

Edler makes considerably less than those guys, yet he's a failure and should be traded? Newsflash! He has a NTC and won't be traded. Especially this year. If Gillis did try to trade him, it would look horrible on the organization and would be a serious deterrent in signing anyone else. The Luongo fiasco has done enough damage.

He makes too much money.

His contract is too long.

He can't play defence.

He makes huge mistakes at the worst times.

One of the slowest players around.

No hockey IQ.

Rides the Sedin's coat tails.

Contract makes our defence unadaptable.

Other than that he's servicable.

lol. Good thing you sugar coated that for all the sensitive fans. Imagine if you had really told us what you thought!

Edler is doing better than he was the last couple of years. He looks pretty solid out there lately. Not sure why people harp on this guy so much. Every dman makes gaffes. Chara, Weber, Suter...they all screw up on their own end on occasion.

Edler makes considerably less than those guys, yet he's a failure and should be traded? Newsflash! He has a NTC and won't be traded. Especially this year. If Gillis did try to trade him, it would look horrible on the organization and would be a serious deterrent in signing anyone else. The Luongo fiasco has done enough damage.

Has he been better than Stanton this year? Yes he does log more ice time but Stanton has actually looked better than Edler so far this year.

Edler isn't a totoally useless player but the Canucks need offensive help and if Edler and his $5M cap hit can bring that then trade him.

Has he been better than Stanton this year? Yes he does log more ice time but Stanton has actually looked better than Edler so far this year.

Edler isn't a totoally useless player but the Canucks need offensive help and if Edler and his $5M cap hit can bring that then trade him.

Gillis won't trade a player whose NTC just kicked in this season. That would be moronic. What player would want to come to Vancouver if NTCs aren't respected?.......Yeah. No one.

Edler needs the right partner to be his most effective. That does not mean he is garbage or anything, it is just reality. It is what separates him from the truly elite level dmen like Lidstrom. He is a follower, not a leader on a pairing. He misses Sami Salo a lot I think but even Christian Ehrhoff - despite all the pissing and moaning about him on CDC - was a very good fit as a partner for Edler that allowed him to use his strengths more effectively.

At least we don't have AV who decided after Ehrhoff left that his slowest D in Edler should be rushing the puck. If you can call what he does "rushing the puck". There is no rush to it.

Edler needs the right partner to be his most effective. That does not mean he is garbage or anything, it is just reality. It is what separates him from the truly elite level dmen like Lidstrom. He is a follower, not a leader on a pairing. He misses Sami Salo a lot I think but even Christian Ehrhoff - despite all the pissing and moaning about him on CDC - was a very good fit as a partner for Edler that allowed him to use his strengths more effectively.

At least we don't have AV who decided after Ehrhoff left that his slowest D in Edler should be rushing the puck. If you can call what he does "rushing the puck". There is no rush to it.

Tortorella definitely knows how to utilize Edler much better than AV ever did.

Archived