The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade for a top 6 now, or leave it open for prospects next year?

BlueLemming

We all thought one of our prospects could take the challenge and secure the top 6 spot, if not a top 9, on this years roster but that obviously didn't work. Do we trade for that top 6 spot now/this season, or leave it open for prospects to try and attain next year?

Of course, we could always go for a rental, but we know how well that's worked for us lately..

I'd rather we wait until next year. Hopefully the cap will rise, then we will have some breathing room. Right now we don't because of the lower cap, which makes trading for anything too hard. Trading for a legit top-6 will not help us as people are expecting. To get something good, we have to give something good, and we can't do that right now without screwing up this team even more.

Personally I think that the cost for anything substantial or worthwhile enough to ACTUALLY improve us this year is going to be too high. For the bonafide top 6 difference maker that everyone seems to be clamoring for, it's going to cost us some pretty good prospects that we will desperately miss in a few years if we trade them.

Then there's the issue of clearing enough cap to fit someone of that calibre who likely would have a $5m+ cap hit.

Unless Gillis can swing a deal from a team cleaning house...maybe a pending UFA they're looking to get ANY value from, I just don't see any major impact players coming our way. And even then it's going to likely cost us a decent pick, prospect or something like one of Burr, Higgins or Hansen..maybe Santorelli or Richardson if we can get out cheap. I don't really like those prices. But it all depends on what's coming back...

IMO, the best we can hope for is that Schroeder can come back and make a meaningful contribution on the second or third and hope Booth can find his game and do the same. And make some depth moves.

It's an odd year with the shrinking cap, next year's the year we see moves IMO. Gillis has his hands tied a bit by league dictated circumstances. Unless Booth gets back to something of worth we liklely buy him out. That and the rising cap are the start of making some real moves. Add in the very real possibility of guys like Horvat, Shink, Jensen, Corrado etc making the team and next summer is very likely to see some movement and a much deeper team IMO.

The reason the prospects weren't rushed into the line-up was because there wasn't any room. Shinkaruk for instance was obviously close. But not worth burning a year of his ELC because there's already Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen, etc... in the development line before him.

Same concept with a trade. It's not just addition. It's a gamble on an upgrade but something needs to be subtracted from the current line-up to make that room. IMO everyone in the line-up looks like they will get it together at some point. I don't see too many bad penalties, brain farts, lack of effort, etc....

Before a trade is made I'd like to see a change in the 1st unit PP. Henrik is not the most deserving C on the team at the moment. Daniel is not the most deserving winger. I understand they give VAN the best chance to score but obviously they can go cold just like anyone else. If other players earn it. They should get top PP time.

Bring in a top 6 guy who will still be here next year. No prospect of ours is likely to pull a Hurtl and produce as a rookie. It will be the same song and dance.

Can I please borrow your crystal ball?

A lot can change for a prospect during one year of development, look at Corrado last year.

I already proposed this in another thread.

To Van:

Voracek

Laughton

2nd 2014

To Philly:

Edler

Schroeder

1st 2014

May or may not be fair, but that could be the starting point. We get younger, and better up front. Losing Eddy would be tough, but our defense is still strong, and I think Gumby can take over in the top 4. He's really grown this year as a solid player for us, and I think he can jump into a top 4 position. We can bring Corrado up also to play in the top six.

With all the long term injuries so far this season Gillis has saved enough cap space to go after a $5 million player at the trade deadline. By then only about $2 million of the $5 million will count against the cap for this year.

With the cap going up $5-7 million next year we could also afford to keep him so I am hoping he trades for a quality player not just a playoff rental.

1 - Where is the cap space going to come from to add a top six forward?

2 - What are you willing to give up to get this top six forward?

Booth is the only player with a significant contract that doesn't have an ntc. But he has no trade value. Yes ntc's can be waived. But, and this is the really big but, Gillis has said that players with ntc's have earned them and he won't ask players to waive them. So that puts it down to a player with an ntc that actually wants out of Vancouver. Anybody on our team fall into that category? I don't think so. Therefore we have no cap space and no moveable contract to open up cap space.

This leaves acquiring a young top six forward who is still on a cheap contract. Teams don't tend to be looking to move those guys unless the return is extremely good.

With all the long term injuries so far this season Gillis has saved enough cap space to go after a $5 million player at the trade deadline. By then only about $2 million of the $5 million will count against the cap for this year.

With the cap going up $5-7 million next year we could also afford to keep him so I am hoping he trades for a quality player not just a playoff rental.

Long term injuries do not save cap space. It only allows you to tempoarily exceed the cap limit untill the player returns.

1 - Where is the cap space going to come from to add a top six forward?

2 - What are you willing to give up to get this top six forward?

Booth is the only player with a significant contract that doesn't have an ntc. But he has no trade value. Yes ntc's can be waived. But, and this is the really big but, Gillis has said that players with ntc's have earned them and he won't ask players to waive them. So that puts it down to a player with an ntc that actually wants out of Vancouver. Anybody on our team fall into that category? I don't think so. Therefore we have no cap space and no moveable contract to open up cap space.

This leaves acquiring a young top six forward who is still on a cheap contract. Teams don't tend to be looking to move those guys unless the return is extremely good.

Our only hope is a crappy team with a pending UFA they don't plan to re-sign. They have to take Booth back and we have to offer up picks/prospects to sweeten it.

The likelihood of someone taking on Booth or us not being out-bid with the pickl/prospects "sweetener" is very low. Like Lloyd Christmas low.

362nk1.jpg

But hey...it IS possible.

I have an ongoing thread about this. People want to trade away the very prospects we have that are already playing both the positions and the style we need to fill those holes people talk about so commonly. We need a third line center, let's trade Gaunce who will be a great 3rd line center. We need a top 6 sniper who can make plays, let us trade Shinkaruk for whoever is available. We need a decent 4th line so let's trade Lain and Archibald. This year is a wash, we will make the playoffs or we won't. I don't think anyone realistically thinks we have a shot at the cup. But trading for guys who are only going to take the spots we have prospects ready to fill is beyond dumb and will only hurt us in the long run.

Archived