The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Oil - Canucks, not involving Hall/ Eberle/ Nuge/ Yak

Phil_314

WARNING: this may be the first realistic hockey trade proposal posted in CDC history! :shock::frantic::PAlright.

Oilers get:

Alex Edler (for hypotheticals' sake just ignore the NTC), David Booth

Canucks get:

David Perron, Jeff Petry (+pick?)

Oil need a big-minute D-man, we could use more skill up front. While Perron doesn't have the upside offensively of a Hall, he brings grit and skill which could increase our Top 6 forward group's skill level. He was also able to produce in an offensively limited Blues team for years, so I think that could continue under Tort's system. Value wise I'd argue that they're similar.

Booth for Petry would be buy-low for buy-low. Booth's value should be increasing by now given his improvement in play recently. The Oil need guys like him, with some physicality, to complement their stars, since they're way too dependent on skill. Petry's been playing top-minutes on the Oil with some mediocre results, but I think with proper sheltering (e.g. in the Top 4 instead of playing on the top pairing) he can do well. He moves the puck well and also plays well defensively. He could really solidify our Top 4 IMO.

For us:

Sedin - Sedin - Perron

(he's got a good shot and has played net front; these are traits an optimal Twin linemate has).

Higgins - Kes - Santo

Burr - Richardson - Kassian

Weise - Dalpe - Hansen

Hamhuis - Tanev

Garrison - Petry

(should be an improvement defensively and big minute pair, Jeff tops Oil D in minutes)

Stanton - Bieksa

For the Oilers

Hall - Nuge - Ebbs

Booth - Gagner - Yak (Booth gets a dynamic play-maker, which should only help)

Smyth - Gordon - Hemsky

Gazdic - Arcobello - Joensuu

Ference - J. Schultz

Edler - N. Schultz (Nick played on the right before and should settle things down for Alex)

Belov - Larsen

Thoughts?

They need to add more. Edler>Perron, Booth>Petry. I'd love Perron with the Sedins and think he'd do well but we already have Burrows to play with them. Booth isn't negative value anymore, I wouldn't trade him for a 7th round pick or nothing. I like his presence on the 3rd line and we need him. He is a good 3rd line guy, who will replace Booth if we traded him for nothing tomorrow? Plus as you can see our PP is lacking Edler badly. Ever since he left we had almost no entry to the zone and we are just missing his presence, the other team had to watch Edler and Garrison now it's only Garrison.

I wouldn't mind trying something around Booth + 2nd for Perron though.

RIght now Booth and Kassian are clicking well on the 3rd line and until they show signs of slowing down it might be better to hold onto him and let him regain some value. Also Edler is worth more than what is returned for a few reasons. The biggest one fo course is his offensive abilities and reasonable cap hit, but the other factor is what he is worth to a team like Edmonton that has absolutely no defense. Edler could be a piece to help turn them around into a .500+ team.

Perron is also one of their more expendable players since they have so much offense that they can dispose of a chunk of it and not miss it at all.

If we trade one of our best d-men to a divisional rival, they better pay up big time.

RIght now Booth and Kassian are clicking well on the 3rd line and until they show signs of slowing down it might be better to hold onto him and let him regain some value. Also Edler is worth more than what is returned for a few reasons. The biggest one fo course is his offensive abilities and reasonable cap hit, but the other factor is what he is worth to a team like Edmonton that has absolutely no defense. Edler could be a piece to help turn them around into a .500+ team.

Perron is also one of their more expendable players since they have so much offense that they can dispose of a chunk of it and not miss it at all.

If we trade one of our best d-men to a divisional rival, they better pay up big time.

completely disagree, Edler's defensive errors seem to lose games rather than win them.

They need to add more. Edler>Perron, Booth>Petry. I'd love Perron with the Sedins and think he'd do well but we already have Burrows to play with them. Booth isn't negative value anymore, I wouldn't trade him for a 7th round pick or nothing. I like his presence on the 3rd line and we need him. He is a good 3rd line guy, who will replace Booth if we traded him for nothing tomorrow? Plus as you can see our PP is lacking Edler badly. Ever since he left we had almost no entry to the zone and we are just missing his presence, the other team had to watch Edler and Garrison now it's only Garrison.

I wouldn't mind trying something around Booth + 2nd for Perron though.

RE: Bold 1. So the implication is that Jeff Petry's worth a 7th round pick? He plays the most minutes on the Oilers' blue-line. As bad as that group is, it has to be worth something, plus why wouldn't he do well in more sheltered minutes?

RE: Bold 2. The team's PP was struggling before he left. If anything, this team could use Jeff, who's exactly the puck-mover and stronger defensive player that Edler isn't. It reduces the liability that Edler is on the blue-line, adds puck-moving and defines the roles on the PP better (hopefully Torts would use him there, many advanced stats support his use on those units)

http://blogs.edmonto...-price-goes-up/

Several advanced stats indicate he is a vital player on the Oilers, their primary workhorse when it comes to moving the puck up the ice against tough competition.

Zone Entries

This stat measures how often and well players gained the offensive zone. My Cult colleague Jonathan Willis did the video analysis on all 48 games in 2013 and collected the data.

Petry was the top Oilers defenceman this year in this category, making a rush or a pass to gain the offensive zone with the puck under control 1.1 times per 15 minutes of even strength play. Next best was Justin Schultz at 0.7 per 15.

Zone Exits

When it came to advancing the puck out of the Oilers end under control, Petry was also the top Oilers defenceman. The Cult’s Bruce McCurdy did the work on this stat. Petry skated or passed the puck out of the Oilers zone under control 4.6 times per 15 even strength minutes in 2013. Next best were Ryan Whitney, 3.6 per 15, Corey Potter, 3.2, Nick and Justin Schultz, 3.1, Ladi Smid, 2.2, and Mark Fistric, 1.8.

Petry’s superior numbers for advancing the puck might come from being paired with a relatively weak player with the puck in Smid. It was Smid’s job to pass to Petry, and Petry’s job to move it up the ice, hence his higher numbers. Still, there’s some evidence that Petry was a puck packhorse, constantly advancing the puck.

Petry has strong skating ability, good size, some grit, good passing skills, a marginal shot and a good head for the game.

I'd agree with you that Booth isn't negative value, but Jeff Petry ain't no slouch either. The player still has to be good to be the top guy, even if it's on a crappy roster. Think about it, when we traded Grabner, most people would have reasonably expected him to step in and at least play on the team, if not earn an expanded role. Did he make the team though? No. He wasn't even good enough to crack that roster. While the Oil D-group may really stink, the advanced stats don't lie about an individual's ability.

completely disagree, Edler's defensive errors seem to lose games rather than win them.

Edler makes no more errors than anyone else on our blueline defensively minus Tanev. He has some golden moments defensively as well however his mistakes will be bolded since he is under the microscope here in Vancouver. This city put ridiculous expectations on him (Lidstrom 2.0) and now every mistake he does is the end of the world and everything he does right is "never enough".

His presence on the blueline would be beneficial on both ends of the ice for Edmonton. Especially on the PP. Edler is better than anyone currently on the Oilers blue line and would be a major improvement.

RIght now Booth and Kassian are clicking well on the 3rd line and until they show signs of slowing down it might be better to hold onto him and let him regain some value. Also Edler is worth more than what is returned for a few reasons. The biggest one of course is his offensive abilities and reasonable cap hit, but the other factor is what he is worth to a team like Edmonton that has absolutely no defense. Edler could be a piece to help turn them around into a .500+ team.

I'd agree with the first bold, esp. the Booth and Kassian bit, along with how Edler may be worth more than the return (that's debatable but I'll digress). The thing is though, in order for them to fill both their needs with this deal (big-minute D-man, skill and grit up front) I'm suggesting trading Edler and Booth their to fill those needs (as I've detailed in my OP). Since David is still a secondary offensive option, it may benefit them to trade from their position of strength (scoring forwards) to get a skilled D from our position of strength. Booth would then fill their need for physicality up front, while Jeff gives us stability in the back and fills Edler's minutes.

Like you've reasoned, a team has to pay up to get good returns. Perron's a Top-6 forward (avg. 0.6 P.P.G.) with grit and another top-level shooter that this team could use, and Jeff's a safer option for a puck-mover, has played top minutes and has PP potential (refer to my most recent post above this one).

It's a good post and I agree with what some of the others are saying...Would be a bad idea for an in division trade(unless only thing we sending is a 2nd/3rd) and also didn't Perron have attitude problems while he was on the Blues? And I don't see him clicking with the Twins but if say do a bigger trade like with Ottawa who has said they would consider any deal if was realistic

Ottawa: Burrows, Edler, Jensen

Vancouver: Spezza

And then do a trade with Edmonton for Hemsky or Smyth

Edmonton:2nd,3rd

Vancouver: Hemsky, Smyth

Lineup

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler

Higgins-Spezza-Hemsky

Booth-Santo-Kassian

Smyth-Richardson-Hansen

Sestito,Weise

Hamhuis-Tanev

Garrison-Bieksa

Stanton-Weber/Alberts

Lu

Lack

It's a good post and I agree with what some of the others are saying...Would be a bad idea for an in division trade(unless only thing we sending is a 2nd/3rd) and also didn't Perron have attitude problems while he was on the Blues? And I don't see him clicking with the Twins but if say do a bigger trade like with Ottawa who has said they would consider any deal if was realistic

Ottawa: Burrows, Edler, Jensen

Vancouver: Spezza

And then do a trade with Edmonton for Hemsky or Smyth

Edmonton:2nd,3rd

Vancouver: Hemsky, Smyth

Lineup

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler

Higgins-Spezza-Hemsky

Booth-Santo-Kassian

Smyth-Richardson-Weise

Sestito

Hamhuis-Tanev

Garrison-Bieksa

Stanton-Weber/Alberts

Lu

Lack

I'd agree with the in division trade if it weren't an Alberta team. Edmonton with Ed is not a playoff team let alone a contender.

Archived