The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Leafs interested in Sam Gagner ‎

According to Bruce Garrioch:

Toronto GM Dave Nonis, trying to find a centre with his club in a freefall, may have shown interest in Edmonton’s Sam Gagner. He’d be a nice fit, but has two years left with a cap hit of $4.8 million. Gagner has a 4-18-12 stats line in 24 games this season, but is minus-16. The Devils may have placed a call here, as well.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/12/21/new-york-rangers-gm-glen-sather-getting-desperate-to-make-a-deal-or-three

Gardiner 2nd

Gagner

Makes a lot of sense for both clubs, but the sad thing is both clubs are short of bona fide top 6 centers so....

Gagner for Gardiner sounds really good for both teams...then Yakupov or Eberle for a two-way second line center?

Lol at people including Gardiner. Why would the Oiler's trade their Captain for an AHL defender?

This would actually be a great trade for the Leafs as Gagner's passing skills would augment Kessel and JVR's goal scoring ability. Also the Leafs are pretty big so getting smaller with Gagner doesn't hurt them much.

Lol at people including Gardiner. Why would the Oiler's trade their Captain for an AHL defender?

This would actually be a great trade for the Leafs as Gagner's passing skills would augment Kessel and JVR's goal scoring ability. Also the Leafs are pretty big so getting smaller with Gagner doesn't hurt them much.

OK. Before you start labelling Gardiner as basically worthless.

Gardiner played with Schultz in college, Anaheim tried desperately to get both, then Burke did the same with Schultz right after. Gardiner skates well is quite smooth and could be better now as it stands than 90% of the Oilers blue line. he is also under easy contract. Gardiner Schultz is the tandem the Oilers need. Like an Ehrhoff Edler combo only Canadian

I'd love to have Gardiner myself, he's a totally underrated D man who is only going to get better but is being thrown around int eh press only because Carlyle is under utilizing him and he plays for the Leafs

Gotta think that Nonis is pushing Phaneuf for Gagner+pick/prospect. If Edmonton doesn't want Phaneuf then Gardiner might be the center piece. That's my guess, anyway.

Personally, I don't think Phaneuf would do much better in EDM than in TOR. But, MacTavish wants that #1 D.

Edit: Another crazy proposal might be Gagner+1st+defenseman for Phaneuf + Gardiner. Idk haha just writing my thoughts out. Both teams need defense pretty badly.

Gotta think that Nonis is pushing Phaneuf for Gagner+pick/prospect. If Edmonton doesn't want Phaneuf then Gardiner might be the center piece. That's my guess, anyway.

Personally, I don't think Phaneuf would do much better in EDM than in TOR. But, MacTavish wants that #1 D.

Edit: Another crazy proposal might be Gagner+1st+defenseman for Phaneuf + Gardiner. Idk haha just writing my thoughts out. Both teams need defense pretty badly.

So you're saying Mac T wants the D?

Jeez, it's always Gagner in the Edmonton rumors, that's gotta suck. Oilers have to decide if they still need picks or are actually planning to make a team at some point. Tanking clearly isn't working for them.

I'd say it works very well for them. You set out to tank, O you'll tank alright. Other teams set out to succeed, and they do just that: succeed.

He's not their captain...

Gardiner played with Schultz in college, Anaheim tried desperately to get both, then Burke did the same with Schultz right after. Gardiner skates well is quite smooth and could be better now as it stands than 90% of the Oilers blue line. he is also under easy contract. Gardiner Schultz is the tandem the Oilers need. Like an Ehrhoff Edler combo only Canadian

I'd love to have Gardiner myself, he's a totally underrated D man who is only going to get better but is being thrown around int eh press only because Carlyle is under utilizing him and he plays for the Leafs

Schultz-Gardiner would not be like Ehrhoff-Edler. Both are horrible defenders and small. LA, ANA, SJS would feast on that combo in the west

Are you suggesting the Oilers should play Schultz and Gardiner as a tandem? :huh:

IMO teams need at least one, two is better, guys who can skate and move the puck like Gardiner. Schultz is even better. But unless Schultz is Paul Coffee you should tandem your risk taking guy who moves up ice with a counter balance. A guy who can cover mistakes. Plus Gardiner and Schultz are both LHS D. Schultz should be on pair A and Gardiner pair B.

Considering their talent up front; it would be fun to see the Oilers score Gardiner. But it wont help their immediate woe's. 133 goals against is easily the leagues worst. A stay at home guy and a Selke contending center (they should have drafted Horvat) are their most pressing concerns!

Are you suggesting the Oilers should play Schultz and Gardiner as a tandem? :huh:

IMO teams need at least one, two is better, guys who can skate and move the puck like Gardiner, Schultz is even better. But unless Schultz is Paul Coffee you should tandem your risk taking guy who moves up ice with a counter balance. A guy who can cover mistakes. Schultz should be on pair A and Gardiner pair B.

Considering their talent up front; it would be fun to see the Oilers score Gardiner. But it wont help their immediate woe's. 133 goals against is easily the leagues worst. A stay at home guy and a Selke contending center (they should have drafted Horvat) are their most pressing concerns!

True and well written

But, Gardiner and Schultz provide the Oilers with a more capable D core than they have right now. Added they've guys ready to make the move next year and one shrewd move of a trade for Hemsky for a top 4 shutdown completes at least a passable D core, they shed the Gagner contract obtain a solid piece for their blue line and la dee da the Oilers have a more passable D core than they've had since Pronger left. Not comparing that to Pronger but the addition of Gardiner is an addition the Oilers could use. Even in the interim.

The added plus is that they've a potentially high 1st round pick that could net them a solid center or a solid D man to compliment or offset.

I see the Oilers standing pat; unless they can find a buyer for Hemsky. People suggest trading Yak for defence, but that basically ruins their right wing depth chart once they move on from Hemsky.

This off season they will have Hemsky's salary plus any cap increase to resolve their issues; size, defensive forwards and a lock down D. They look extremely well positioned to score Ekblad atm as well. Buffalo would probably pick Reinhart if they win the lotto. Klefbom, Nurse, Ekblad and Schultz looks a pretty good start on a defensive core. They have $7 mill now, plus $5 mill in Hemsky's salary, plus the cap increase. They may have $18 mill plus to spend in the off season. Considering how the season looks, lick your wounds and stand pat Edmonton.

You will come out the other end!

I see the Oilers standing pat; unless they can find a buyer for Hemsky. People suggest trading Yak for defence, but that basically ruins their right wing depth chart once they move on from Hemsky.

This off season they will have Hemsky's salary plus any cap increase to resolve their issues; size, defensive forwards and a lock down D. They look extremely well positioned to score Ekblad atm as well. Buffalo would probably pick Reinhart if they win the lotto. Klefbom, Nurse, Ekblad and Schultz looks a pretty good start on a defensive core. They have $7 mill now, plus $5 mill in Hemsky's salary, plus the cap increase. They may have $18 mill plus to spend in the off season. Considering how the season looks, lick your wounds and stand pat Edmonton.

You will come out the other end!

You think Buffalo will pick Reinhart? They've a serious glut of solid C prospects i'd figure with Myers not panning out how they'd want, they'd jump on Ekblad for insurance. But you're probably right. edmonton's home grown defense still not looking good for at least 3-4 seasons

Archived