The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Cause for Concern?

HKSR

Since the Canucks have been on a roll, I think a couple players on our team have dodged the fact that they are not performing to the level that we need them to -- the Sedins. Might just be me, but I'm actually a bit concerned that the Twins are on pace for 69pts each. I sincerely hope it's just a slump that they'll work themselves out of, but if we're getting 70pts or less for soon-to-be 7mil first liners, we might be in some trouble.

Again, this isn't a panic button inducing observation, but one of some concern that I sure hope the Twins are just working through a slump. Otherwise, we'll be in big trouble if the Kesler-Santo-Higgins line stops producing.

It's the Sedins; They'll be fine. If they aren't, they'll work their asses off until they are and change their game however they need to to be effective - also, keep in mind they're taking alot more of the defensive load, freeing up players like Kesler and Burrows to focus on the more offensive part of their game(Although it hasn't worked for Burr this year, I think he just needs time, Injuries suck.) , Personally I'd be willing to bet the twins are playing through some injuries we don't know about, you don't play as many games in a row as Henrik has without taking a bump or two along the road. The same can be said for Daniel; the only thing that's ever kept him off the ice for any stretch of time has been a broken bone.

Since the Canucks have been on a roll, I think a couple players on our team have dodged the fact that they are not performing to the level that we need them to -- the Sedins. Might just be me, but I'm actually a bit concerned that the Twins are on pace for 69pts each. I sincerely hope it's just a slump that they'll work themselves out of, but if we're getting 70pts or less for soon-to-be 7mil first liners, we might be in some trouble.

Again, this isn't a panic button inducing observation, but one of some concern that I sure hope the Twins are just working through a slump. Otherwise, we'll be in big trouble if the Kesler-Santo-Higgins line stops producing.

The amount of production the Twins are forfeiting is directly correlated to their new defensive assignments. No cause for concern. I would rather have the Sedins become complete players with lesser points, killing penalties and blocking shots, then the semi-one-dimensional players we're seen all along. It will pay massive dividend come playoff time.

Under Tortorella, whatever reduction in points production from the Sedins is well compensated by the rest of the team.

Share the wealth. I'm not worried at all.

Fair enough. Just thought I'd post this at a time when the Canucks are actually doing well, instead of during a slump when everybody is complaining about something anyways. We'll revisit these people's thoughts if/when the Canucks are slumping again lol.

In the first 12 - 15 games of the season, Henrik was second in the league in points, leading the league in assists, while still being great defensively and killing penalties. Since then he has trailed off quite a bit, but he has still shown dominance in some games. For once, the problem with the Sedins is their consistency. Daniel doesn't score as consistently as he did in the past. I still think they can and will finish the season above a point per game. They have the ability to be superstars in this league, they just need to pick up the pace. I don't know if they will ever be as good as they were in 2010 and 2011, but they can still be top 10 players in the NHL. Hopefully Burrows can come back and help solve the problem.

I think we are finally seeing a balanced approach and we don't recognize what that looks like. We are used to seeing the Sedin's only being responsible to provide offense (and were played that way) and the rest of the team were asked to provide everything else.

Tort's approach appears to be more around balance and accountability. This should actually be a relief to the Sedin's and the rest of the team. All for one and one for all. I personally prefer this approach. I think a well balanced team is much stronger in the long run.

The Sedin's may not rack up the points, but the team will be more balanced and hopefully better overall where it matters - in the playoff's. If they could just add one or two pieces, without giving up too much, (scoring winger with some size and a shutdown type defenseman) I would like their chances.

That's pretty good when your playing with Hansen If Burrows was with them they would be on pace for 80+

Only concern this far this season is how they fared in Anaheim and LA.

I second this point. And add we have, what, 1 win in the last 10 games against San Jose?

FTR, the key reason we have trouble against this threesome (and St Lou, Boston...) is speed and size.

Look, we're playing very well with what we have. But we need upgrades to position ourselves to handle certain match ups. The Twins cycle game gets shut down by big D. Our D, without a puck mover, have trouble with teams that have waves of big fast fore checkers (like Anaheim, LA, SJ, St Lou...).

It's all to do with the fact that they don't have a proper linemate. They were tearing it up earlier this season, and for the past several games they've been stuck with Panick Hansen. He neutralizes them.

Actually it has more to do with a slump earlier in the season. Hansen shouldn't be up there with them but he hasn't "neutralized" them.

In my opinion:

It is absolutely a concern.

The fact that Torts has the twins playing the minutes they do suggests that he still expects them to be the offensive carriers of the team.

To me, it's not just that they are not putting up points. It's that they're not even threatening to anymore. It's not like they're just hitting a lot of posts or getting shots blocked or running in to hot goalies. They dominate possession but never put anything towards the net. That cycle game has gotten predictable, they are too small to protect themselves and the puck along the boards, and they are far too easy to squeeze out of the play.

All that ends up happening on most Sedin shifts is that they keep the puck in the Ozone and eat time off the clock. But the chances of them scoring are very low. Every chance is a perimeter shot. The wizardry has not been seen in a long time. At least not on a consistent basis.

If they try to generate more off the rush chances they may become 80-90 point getters again. But 70 point seasons would be very concerning for them. And then factor in the fact that their production drops in the playoffs, it'll be a real issue if they go even more dry in the post season.

I really do hope Torts challenges them to try new things. Maybe reinvent their games a bit. All players have to add elements to their games as they get older and I think the Sedins have hit that mark.

In my opinion:

It is absolutely a concern.

The fact that Torts has the twins playing the minutes they do suggests that he still expects them to be the offensive carriers of the team.

To me, it's not just that they are not putting up points. It's that they're not even threatening to anymore. It's not like they're just hitting a lot of posts or getting shots blocked or running in to hot goalies. They dominate possession but never put anything towards the net. That cycle game has gotten predictable, they are too small to protect themselves and the puck along the boards, and they are far too easy to squeeze out of the play.

All that ends up happening on most Sedin shifts is that they keep the puck in the Ozone and eat time off the clock. But the chances of them scoring are very low. Every chance is a perimeter shot. The wizardry has not been seen in a long time. At least not on a consistent basis.

If they try to generate more off the rush chances they may become 80-90 point getters again. But 70 point seasons would be very concerning for them. And then factor in the fact that their production drops in the playoffs, it'll be a real issue if they go even more dry in the post season.

I really do hope Torts challenges them to try new things. Maybe reinvent their games a bit. All players have to add elements to their games as they get older and I think the Sedins have hit that mark.

With the Twins its all about personnel. Burr has been missing for 2/3rds of the year. He adds a dynamic in front of the net, hounding the puck to get extra possessions and is just that much better at puck control himself than his replacements. But even with Burr, it is a small line. Be a shame if the Twins go their whole career without a GM having the savvy / nuts to secure them an all star calibre PF to play with. Its sad watching big D like Chara nullify them.

However, as you point out, if they command the puck 65 to 80% of the time we still win their shifts even if they don't score.

And to your point about adding scoring off the rush? Not going to happen with our personnel either. Garrison has a shot, and plays better D but is as stay at home as they come replacing Erhoff. Nobody, save Bieksa dabbling, puts the puck on their stick and heads up ice daring people to stop them, then moves the puck to a forward already at speed.. We chip and chase. Torts also has guys playing back not pressing the point men, so there is no jump on turnovers either. We do this partly because we don't have the D man who can lug the puck, and part because we don't have that dynamic scorer with the Twins where we can out gun teams either. We are probably 2 key acquisitions away from Torts having the confidence to open up the game plan.

(If we did, guys like Booth, Hansen, Higgins and Burrows as well as the Twins would all see higher numbers in their scoring stats!)

But concern? All in perspective... Considering our personnel, we are playing a conservative game. They are executing a game plan which is probably advisable for the moment. Adding a big body who can play to our 4th line probably would mean we could match up against the Calif teams and win any series if goaltending stacks up. And Kesler's line, which is faster and more physical (this tolls opposing teams) is also starting to attract some of the top match up's. That drains other teams as well and offers weaker match ups for the Twins to score key goals (see wins in Chicago and Boston). Even if it's not as many goals. But if we don't expect a PPG from Danny, forget Higgins or Santo! We won't be a high tempo team until acquisitions or prospects (over time) start to add the dynamics mentioned above... IMO we should not be alarmed at all, its just the best game plan, all things considered.

And then factor in the fact that their production drops in the playoffs,

Absolute myth, just like them being soft.

Daniel

2012-2013 Play-offs GP 4 G 0 A 3 Pts 3 .75PPG, Keep in mind the amount of PP's to PK's the Canucks had that series.

2011-2012 Play-offs GP 2 G 0 A 2 Pts 2 1.0 PPG

2010-2011 Play-offs GP 25 G 9 A 11 Pts 20 .8PPG

Total of those years GP 31 G 9 A 16 Pts 25 .8PPG

Henrik

2012-2013 Play-offs GP 4 G 0 A 3 Pts 3 .75PPG

2011-2012 Play-offs GP 5 G 2 A 3 Pts 5 1.0 PPG

2010-2011 Play-offs GP 25 G 3 A 19 Pts 22 .88PPG

Total of those years GP 34 G 5 A 25 Pts 30 .88PPG

Please look up statistics before slamming a player

Archived