The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van-NYR

LeanBeef

Another Edler proposal...

To Van

Dan Girardi

conditional 1st round pick (turns into 2nd if Girardi re-signs)

To NYR

Alex Edler

Steven Anthony

Vancouver gets a dman that worked under Tortorella's system while NYR gets a defenseman that was able to produce points under AV's system. Vancouver also gets rid of a contract and gains just over one million in cap space.

Hamhuis-Tanev/Girardi

Garrison-Bieksa

Stanton-Girardi/Tanev

The only problems are that the Rangers are getting another LHD and it is unknown whether Edler will waive his NTC to go to the Rangers.

Girardi is basically a grittier version of Hamhuis, blocks a ton of shots as well...

Thoughts?

A little on the lateral side but I think it could work for both teams. In the end I'd much rather package Edler for a top six forward.

I agree, but if MG is unable to get a top 6 fwd for Edler, trading for Girardi (if he walks) potentially gives us space to sign a top 6 forward via free agency while getting a 1st round pick as a bonus.

A little on the lateral side but I think it could work for both teams. In the end I'd much rather package Edler for a top six forward.

The problem with trading Edler for a forward is that we are left with 4 defensemen who can play top 4 minutes. How comfortable are you with Weber or Alberts becoming one of our top 4 through injury? Look at us right now, we have Edler and Stanton out and are lucky to have a solid top 4 still.

The problem with trading Edler for a forward is that we are left with 4 defensemen who can play top 4 minutes. How comfortable are you with Weber or Alberts becoming one of our top 4 through injury? Look at us right now, we have Edler and Stanton out and are lucky to have a solid top 4 still.

The ideal time to trade him is once everyone's healthy and Edler has played a few games. Plus we have Corrado who would fill that hole in the third pair no problem.

• 2 months later...

Archived