Weise -Dalpe- Hansen

Bieksa- Edler

Garrison- Hamhuis

Tanev - Stanton

Luongo

Lack

BREAK DOWN:

Forwards:

Sedins and Burrows: sedins are not what they were in terms of offence 3 years ago

However defensively and maybe skating wise they may have improved

2nd line:I think Higgins is better all around this year.. Kesler is very close to the high standards he set that year other than on the PP ... Santorelli is an upgrade both defensively and offensively we do give up a little speed though.

3rd line: To be fair Torres was a key player for us but Booth obviously has more scoring potential and it looks like he is starting to live up to that. Kassian also makes up for the bite lost by loosing Torres.... Malhotra is a better player than Richardson I believe but its irrelevant because we did not have Malhotra for majority of playoffs anyways.

4th line: Weise and Hansen are for sure upgrades on Glass and Oreskovich but Dalpe is not close to Lapierre either

Overall:

the forwards are currently deeper but the top 6 is weaker despite the fact Santo> MayRay

DEFENSE:

Obviously Edler has been much weaker for a substantial period of time (2 years) than the Edler of old.

Bieksa may be marginally better now.

Hamhuis is Hamhuis always solid and has improved back to regular after bad start

I think that Garrison essentially replaces Salo

Tanev has improved vastly and is much stronger defensively than Erhoff was.

Stanton is better offensively than tanev was but defensively tanev was a bit better

Overall:

The clear missing link here is efhoffs puck moving and offensive ability. Also the big physical presence of old Edler

Lu is Lu

and Schneids is not too much of an improvement over Lack

In conclusion the canucks are relatively close to being a cup contender and dominating the league once again.

Positive:

We are better defensively now and have better depth

Negative:

We are missing a top 6 forward to make up for the sedins regression.

Also a puck moving D-man to make up for loss of Erhoff

We need Edler to show up

We need a half- decent 4th line C

Opinions? Suggestions?

You forgot Ballard and Samuelsson.

There's no comparison to the 2010-2011 team. We don't have nearly the same D core, and a few players seem to be regressing this season.

For us to win this year it's gonna have to be done through excellent defending and goaltending, with some timely goal scoring. No more dominating the opponents with our quick transition game unfortunately.

Schroeder will slot in for Dalpe when he's ready since I think he brings more to the table. And I think we'll see Archibald at some point take a full time roster spot.

I see it shaking down like this if everyone is healthy:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Kesler Santorelli

Booth Richardson Kassian

Archibald Schroeder Hansen

Schroeder may be small for a fourth line center, but if he has a big body like Archibald and a gritty forechecker like Hansen he'll be fine. We'll finally be able to get consistent offense from our fourth line with Schroeder there.

You forgot Ballard and Samuelsson.

There's no comparison to the 2010-2011 team. We don't have nearly the same D core, and a few players seem to be regressing this season.

For us to win this year it's gonna have to be done through excellent defending and goaltending, with some timely goal scoring. No more dominating the opponents with our quick transition game unfortunately.

Ballard didn't play and yeah i forgot Samuelson but he only played 11 games in playoffs.

Currently we don't have a team that is the same level as our SCF year but we could if we added just a few guys.

That's why I created this thread.

I think our defense is very close to what it was. Only changes are a weaker Edler and no puck mover.

Schroeder will slot in for Dalpe when he's ready since I think he brings more to the table. And I think we'll see Archibald at some point take a full time roster spot.

I see it shaking down like this if everyone is healthy:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Kesler Santorelli

Booth Richardson Kassian

Archibald Schroeder Hansen

Schroeder may be small for a fourth line center, but if he has a big body like Archibald and a gritty forechecker like Hansen he'll be fine. We'll finally be able to get consistent offense from our fourth line with Schroeder there.

Good point Schroeder will make our 4th line better than 2011 i think

Erhoff is the big difference. I agree. He needs to be replaced. Tanev's improvement helps a bit but still missing the powerplay qb. This is our biggest offensive need NOT a top 6 forward like everyone seems to think. The proof is in our powerplay stats, everyone is the same except Erhoff.

Our 4th line now is actually a big upgrade on the 2011; this is more important than people realize.

2014-15 and the season after have the potential to surpass the depth of 2011, 4 solid lines and kids on the farm.

Obviously,

it was also the most successful.

That does not mean that it didn't have holes,

and it does not mean that our current edition isn't close.

I will agree that the 2011 team, as good as it was had a major hole on the 2nd line, and it still does. When you're depending on guys like Higgins and Hansen who both have 4 goals in their last 34 playoff games to be your secondary scorers you're in trouble.

Our current team isn't even close, we are a top 6 forward, a puck moving defenseman and a veteran presence on the blueline away from matching that team, don't underestimate the losses of Ehrhoff and Salo.

I will agree that the 2011 team, as good as it was had a major hole on the 2nd line, and it still does. When you're depending on guys like Higgins and Hansen who both have 4 goals in their last 34 playoff games to be your secondary scorers you're in trouble.

Our current team isn't even close, we are a top 6 forward, a puck moving defenseman and a veteran presence on the blueline away from matching that team, don't underestimate the losses of Ehrhoff and Salo.

Fair but do you not think Garrison is close to Salo?

Big point shot... good first pass out of the d-zone

Neither is outstanding defensively.

I think they are very close just one is a lot older than the other.

I think Bieksa can step into leadership void on bluelline

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Raymond

Torres - Malhotra - Hansen

Glass - Lapierre - Oreskovich

Bieksa - Edler

Ehrhoff - Salo

Hamhuis - Tanev

Luongo

Schneids

VS.

sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kes - Santorelli

Booth - Rich- Kassian

Weise -Dalpe- Hansen

Bieksa- Edler

Garrison- Hamhuis

Tanev - Stanton

Luongo

Lack

BREAK DOWN:

Forwards:

Sedins and Burrows: sedins are not what they were in terms of offence 3 years ago

However defensively and maybe skating wise they may have improved

2nd line:I think Higgins is better all around this year.. Kesler is very close to the high standards he set that year other than on the PP ... Santorelli is an upgrade both defensively and offensively we do give up a little speed though.

3rd line: To be fair Torres was a key player for us but Booth obviously has more scoring potential and it looks like he is starting to live up to that. Kassian also makes up for the bite lost by loosing Torres.... Malhotra is a better player than Richardson I believe but its irrelevant because we did not have Malhotra for majority of playoffs anyways.

4th line: Weise and Hansen are for sure upgrades on Glass and Oreskovich but Dalpe is not close to Lapierre either

Overall:

the forwards are currently deeper but the top 6 is weaker despite the fact Santo> MayRay

DEFENSE:

Obviously Edler has been much weaker for a substantial period of time (2 years) than the Edler of old.

Bieksa may be marginally better now.

Hamhuis is Hamhuis always solid and has improved back to regular after bad start

I think that Garrison essentially replaces Salo

Tanev has improved vastly and is much stronger defensively than Erhoff was.

Stanton is better offensively than tanev was but defensively tanev was a bit better

Overall:

The clear missing link here is efhoffs puck moving and offensive ability. Also the big physical presence of old Edler

Lu is Lu

and Schneids is not too much of an improvement over Lack

In conclusion the canucks are relatively close to being a cup contender and dominating the league once again.

Positive:

We are better defensively now and have better depth

Negative:

We are missing a top 6 forward to make up for the sedins regression.

Also a puck moving D-man to make up for loss of Erhoff

We need Edler to show up

We need a half- decent 4th line C

Opinions? Suggestions?

And Schneider isn't much better than Lack? Really?

He's better than our starting goalie and Lack has less of an NHL resume than many goalies who can't get starting AHL jobs these days.

I understand fan is short for "fanatic" but if we're just going to ignore reality there's little point in making these threads.

To be honest, I think the '13-'14 is similar to the '11 team, but not close enough to be considered similar enough to be compared as both dominant and having that good shot at the cup.

The biggest thing is the scoring of our first lanes, the Sedins were producing nearly double what they are this year in the '11 campaign. That is a huge loss of scoring. I think our second and 4th lines are both improved, but I also think some people are writing off what Glass did for this team on the 4th line. I actually thought Glass was one of the best 4th liners this team has had in a long time, he played a gritty game, scored at clutch times and was always reliable for minutes, I would compare him to Richardson's offensive capabilities with a little more grit.

I personally am not a huge fan of Sestito or Weise, yes they are big bodies but I just find their hockey IQ is too low. I would love a line that included Archibald/Schroeder/Hansen as De Niro pointed out, that is a line with grit, speed and good hockey IQ and they all know how to score.

The defense is similar, although I still give the edge to '11 due to the scoring our back end was giving us that year. Ehroff was a huge source of scoring that we haven't really replaced, and Edler is not performing even close to how he was.

I think Luongo is performing better this year than he was because he has less pressure from Lack than from Schneider, and I believe that Lack can perform just like Schnieder.

Overall, I would say they're similar, but we need to add a top six forward (thus allowing us to resolve our 3rd line issues due to the trickle down), and I think our defense is solid as is, although still not quite what it was.

If we can add that top six forward, I think we can see some solid success this season, but I wouldn't want to give up much for that forward because I want room for our youngsters next season.

And Schneider isn't much better than Lack? Really?

He's better than our starting goalie and Lack has less of an NHL resume than many goalies who can't get starting AHL jobs these days.

I understand fan is short for "fanatic" but if we're just going to ignore reality there's little point in making these threads.

and if anybody knows about making pointless threads, it's you.

you should be more worried about your Leafs dropping out of the playoff picture

1st Line

10-11 > 13-14

2nd Line

10-11 < 13-14

3rd Line

10-11 > 13-14

4th Line

10-11 < 13-14

Bieksa, Edler, Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Salo, Tanev > Bieksa, Edler, Garrison, Hamhuis, Stanton, Tanev

Luongo, Schneider = Luongo, Schneider

AV < Torts

Not a huge difference on paper. Fairly big difference on ice though.

Archived