The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trash collection every 2 weeks - not working!

Mainly Mattias

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So Vancouver is shooting to be the greenest city by 2020 and the reduction of garbage pickup from once a week to once every 2 weeks is in line with the action plan.

Is it working? Are people actually separating their organics and able to reduce their rubbish so that a biweekly garbage collection is ok? I know my neighbour can't handle it - the diapers make for a constantly overfilled garbage container.

I have seen an increase of domestic garbage in the bus stop garbages and the park garbages. Instead of an open plastic bucket at the bus stop, they installed an upright garbage container with a small opening. At the park, the park bins are overflowing and dog poo bags are scattered around the floor of the bin. Gross.

I used to go, "Why the hell would people bring their garbage to throw it out here??" and then wondered if people just had too much garbage.

We "separate" our garbage but take it to the transfer station once a month ourselves.

One of the reasons is we're rural.

We also compost.

We take more recycling than garbage.

Costs us between $3-$5 each time as there's no charge for recycling.

Where I live, I'm in a coach house with another family in the main part of the house and a couple living in the basement and our garbage cans fill up within usually 2-3 days after each collection. We do separate because they won't take our bins if we don't. Yes, they will sometimes audit what you're throwing out. I'm often finding myself finding an open dumpster to throw it out in because I'm not leaving it in our driveway for over a week.

Where I live, I'm in a coach house with another family in the main part of the house and a couple living in the basement and our garbage cans fill up within usually 2-3 days after each collection. We do separate because they won't take our bins if we don't. Yes, they will sometimes audit what you're throwing out. I'm often finding myself finding an open dumpster to throw it out in because I'm not leaving it in our driveway for over a week.

Oh yeah, living with others will increase the garbage headache. 2-3 days! Maybe that's the left over garbage that couldn't be picked up on the last pickup.

You can increase the size of the bins or add more but they do charge extra and no one wants to foot the bill.

I suspect the garbage is decreased but still is a problem and gets displaced - gets shafted from a City problem to a Translink, Parks Board, restaurant or private property problem.

I throw the houses garbage and I am fine with the change and have been following it. Only thing I hate is when you have a full black bin and it's a tiny bit open so they don't take the bin(stupid rule). Then you have to wait two weeks till it goes next and you have no place to throw your garbage. I could care less if the green bin goes cause they pick it up every week and it never gets full.

As others have said, a lot of other places have had bi-weekly garbage pick up for a long time now.

It can be annoying separating the food, and boy does that green bin smell bad! But I think after you get used to it, it's just a minor annoyance. The worst though is when you forget to take out garbage... then you're screwed!

We've had bi-weekly pickup for a while now.

There are three adults living upstairs and we've never had any issues. Most of our waste is recycling and organics, it would be a very tough challenge for us to actually fill a whole garbage bag every two weeks.

There was, however, a couple with two children renting our basement. They were your stereotypical trashy family and generated an unbelievable amount of garbage. There was always 5-10 garbage bags just sitting outside, smelling horrible and attracting racoons. They got evicted for it, and honestly I couldn't be happier about that!

I would argue there are a lot of low income families out there who generate a lot of extra trash because they are too busy struggling to keep up with life. I have known enough of these types to know that no matter how bad I feel for them, or try to help, it just isn't going to improve things, they seem to fall into patterns that are difficult to get out of, and are often slaves to their circumstances.

I feel bi-weekly pickup forces the trashier types to improve the circumstances around them, if they don't, it'll be trash on the lawn followed quickly by complaints and then evictions. Nothing wrong with teaching the kids to recycle/compost and not to be wasteful, and who would complain about having a cleaner and more sanitary home? Most of those who struggle simply won't make time for these things, even though they would benefit from it in the long run, so why not force the issue?

Bi-weekly pickup forces those who would otherwise say they don't have the time to make the time, come up with a plan, and stick to that plan. It will be a tremendous pain at first, but being forced to deal with it will result in a much better environment to live and raise a family in, so in the end I think it is a phenomenal system that puts pressure in the right places.

I've had bi-weekly pick up where I live for over a year now. It was a bit of a pain at first, but it's super easy once you get used to it. I find I recycle a hell of a lot more stuff than I used to and I really have very little organics every week. I ended up downsizing my organics and garbage bins.

When I do have any organics I know that are going to go off and stink quick, I just throw it in the deep freezer and throw it in the bin frozen the night before collection.

Surrey weekly pickup. 3 bin system. Green (organic) every week. Black( regular garbage) and Blue ( recyclable) every second week rotating. We usually fill the Blue container near or over the top every 2 weeks. The organic varies due to the time of year since yard waste varies but it usually is full and we use those home depot yard bags for the extra. The Black never gets over half full. So a good 3/4 of our waste at least is either organic or recyclable.

Got used to it pretty fast and we thought it would be a pain at first. Dont even have to think about it anymore.

Archived