The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we be trying to land a young surefire superstar in the next 2-5 years at any cost?

Derp...

Simple idea. What would you do?

One thing I wonder about sometimes is.

Most people would agree that one day McDavid will win a cup. Don't know when, don't know for who.

If we work off of this assumption being true, would it not be worth it to give up anything in a trade and/or tank to try and get him? Might take a few years to build around him, but most would probably say that whichever team gets Mcdavid is getting a cup somewhere down the road.

If you had an opportunity to get something that gave you the best chance to win a cup at any point would you take it no matter the immediate cost?

It's been over 40 years, and we haven't't won one. Been close and have had some wonderfully talented players along the way. Most of us love the Canucks through and through, I don't even want them to win for the city I want them to win for each other because they deserve it.

There's no guarantee that we win if we get McDavid, but I'd say odd's are we get a couple more cracks at the finals, maybe even in his draft year with our ageing core.

Excited to see where this team goes in the next 3-5 years. Hopefully we add one top 5 pick, and I hope that it's CMD.

Anyone that read this sorry for boring you.. Kind of a snooze fest on second read for me lol.

I think we should try and trade for Reinhart this year. IMO it'll take at least 2 1sts, a 2nd, a solid prospect, and a roster player.

To Vancouver: Anthony Mantha, Ryan Sproul, 2014 1st

To Detroit: Alexander Edler

Say the Islanders have 1st overall:

To Vancouver: 2014 1st

To NY Islanders: Van+Det 2014 1st, 2014 2nd, Brendan Gaunce, Jannik Hansen, Jordan Schroeder

Fair?

We can't take with the Sedins on our team they'll manage to score and win games.. Torts doesn't go in the locker room and says tank and even if he did the Sedins would probably want to leave and go somewhere else.. So then our so called aging core wouldn't really even be a core it would be a whole bunch of plugs.

If you want to tank for McDavid, trade the whole team because no player wants to sit through and tank, they want to win and play hockey.

By 2015 THAT is a team.

Hall Crosby Kunitz

Eberle McDavid Neal

Dupuis Sutter Jokinen

Maatta Niskanen

Pouliot Orpik

By 2015, Orpik would be a #6 defensemen or depth, Niskanen aswell. That defense sucks, you make the most unrealistic proposals I've ever seen. Seriously, when was the last time 4 superstars were involved in 1 trade and a guy compared to Crosby?

Why tank to just have a shot at a player who has all the potential in the world, when it would mean detonating our team, sucking for years AND having no guarantee that McDavid pans out? Think about it, the Panthers, Jackets, Oil and Jets have sucked for YEARS to assemble the young talent they have only to remain mediocre, and how many touted young prospects have not panned out prior to the Panthers getting a Huberdeau (Jackets had Brule, Filatov, Brassard, Zherdev...)? What's more, he can't carry the team on his own and we may really become the Vancouver Panthers then, will all potential but no veterans willing to come here for years since all the established chemistry on the roster would be blown up and for sure there will be $h!tty seasons here with the inevitable growing pains. Pass on that.

Why tank to just have a shot at a player who has all the potential in the world, when it would mean detonating our team, sucking for years AND having no guarantee that McDavid pans out? Think about it, the Panthers, Jackets, Oil and Jets have sucked for YEARS to assemble the young talent they have only to remain mediocre, and how many touted young prospects have not panned out prior to the Panthers getting a Huberdeau (Jackets had Brule, Filatov, Brassard, Zherdev...)? What's more, he can't carry the team on his own and we may really become the Vancouver Panthers then, will all potential but no veterans willing to come here for years since all the established chemistry on the roster would be blown up and for sure there will be $h!tty seasons here with the inevitable growing pains. Pass on that.

Young people fail to comprehend the experience of having waited decades...

lol CDC'ers make me laugh. It's always fun to read such crazy scenarios of management wanting the team to purposely tank a whole season to get this player or making unrealistic trade proposals in which we'd probably have to give up half the team to get a CHANCE at picking him..... People don't seem to realize that Canuck nation aren't the only ones that realize how special this player is and whoever gets the pick most likely will not give him up because of how hyped this guy is. Unless somehow we luckily get the 1st pick in 2015, we're not getting Mcdavid. :bored:

So people hate the tanking idea, that's fine. Didn't expect people to like it, just experimenting with ideas.

One of which is the trade some of the future for a legit franchise pick usually top 2-3.

What's the value of a top 5 pick anyways? We are going to need one somewhere along the way.

Would you give up 2 firsts and 2 seconds and 2 thirds, every 2 years for a top 5 pick every 2 years?

Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov.....look where EDM is.

ANH drafted Getzlaf and Perry 19th and 28th overall. Point? High 1st round draft picks arn't a sure bet, and definitely not worth giving the farm up for. I think the Canucks need to keep the draft picks they have, and possibly aquire more through trades.

Archived