The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WJC: Canucks only have one player in?

RAMBUTANS

I just saw the list below. Makes me wonder why the Canucks only have one in the tourney. Some would say we get the latter picks because we're a good team, but why does Pit,SJ, LA and Ana have 2 each, Boston 3, Chicago 4!

Could this be a reflection of mediocre Canuck scouting?

Gord Miller (@GMillerTSN)

12/27/2013, 2:12 AM

StL-0 SJ-2 TB-4 Tor-3 Van-1 Was-5 Wpg-4.

Gord Miller (@GMillerTSN)

12/27/2013, 2:24 AM

Ana-2 Bos-3 Buf-3 Cgy-1 Car-3 Chi-4 Col-2 CBJ-6 Dal-2 Det-2 Edm-2 Fla-1 LA-2 Min-2 Mtl-6 Nas-6 NJ-2 NYI-3 NYR-2 Ott-3 Phi-5 Phx-1 Pit-2

Shinkarurk was injured so he didn't make it, otherwise he would have been a lock. We also don't draft players that we think will make the WJCs, like those little skilled forwards like petan, ricco grimladi, john gudreau- who we could have drafted. (we learnt our lesson with schroeder).. our drafting still needs improvement but with recent pick ups like Corrado, subban, cederholm, horvat, shinkarurk, gaunce, mcnally, hutton, I feel it is getting better, that and we signed undrafted players in Lack, Tanev and Ericksson who are all doing well... but could be doing better.

Another exampleis that we drafted Jensen over Jenner. We knew Jenner would make the team and that Jensen's team Denmark prob would not make the tournament, so I do not think Gillis really cares about whether or not he should draft a player based on their chances of getting to the WJC. In this years draft we chose shinkarurk over Ryan Hartman, Ian Mcchoshen, and Adam Erne who we knew would be a locks on the team USA and before Zach Fucale who we knew would be a goalie for team canada - so that is my point, they draft BPA and sometimes that player for one reason or another does not get to the WJC.

If we wanted a player to be in the WJC this year from last years draft we would have taken Henrik Samuelsson, who would make it for sure as the american depth chart is more shallow than ours. Instead we took Gaunce who they felt was a better player, but was in tough to make it becuase of the amount of centers we have.

Our scouting/player development isn't the greatest. That's the answer. We also didn't have a pick till the 4th round in 2010, a bust of a 1st pick in 07 with White (to explain no prospects in WJ for 4-5 years) and we've had late round picks since 2011. Shroeder isn't a first line player but he's still good and developing at a slow rate.

That being said, we still have some good picks and undrafted signings, plus the 2013 draft was great for us. Also, just cause they don't make WJ doesn't mean they're not good.

I think they don't draft BPA, otherwise they wouldn't have drafted Mallet at 2nd and Honzik

at 3rd. Just a couple of examples among many.

Good point. What was gillis thinking drafting mallet with a 2nd rounder. I bet he would of still been there in the 5th. If not would it have been a loss?

1) Corrado should have made the team last year. That was a major blunder.

2) Shinkaruk would have been a top-6 winger this year if not injured.

3) Schroeder has the most total WJC points scored of any American player in history, doesn't he? Doesn't automatically make him a surefire NHL-er.

4) Cassels and Guance would likely make the starting lineups of most Euro teams. But it's tougher to make the North American teams. However, it's safer to pick NA prospects.

5) We have by far the best player from team Denmark from the last 2 WJC's. However, Denmark didn't make it out of division B (came close). Having the best player from a division B team is just as good (if not better) than having a depth guy from a weaker division A team.

6) We didn't have a pick in the first 3 rounds of a recent draft. Pretty hard to grab any players who look ready for the WJC with the picks we have left.

Super surprised when I heard Cole Cassles didnt even get a try out with the American squad, our prospects are deep for being a top seeded team the last few years.

he was injured

you can be sure that if he keeps this play up, he will get a good look next year.

Next year Horvat could play too if we send him back to Junior - but he will likely make our team as a 3C

If Canucks had drafted Swedes, Russians, Czechs, Fins, etc in the first couple of rounds, they'd have a better chance of having more prospects in the WJHC. However, the last few years they have drafted a lot of Canadians and Americans, and teams are harder to crack.

Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Cassels (injury), Corrado, and Subban are all North American guys who are capable of keeping up with the talent at the WJs, they just happen to have to make very competitive teams.

The reason why people think this is a stupid thread (and it no doubt is) is because the answer to your question is so obvious but you want ignore it anyway. If you've spent any attention to the Canucks' drafting, it has steadily improved over the last three years in particular.

Archived