The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dane Fox | LW/C

Go Go Canucks Go

Also he blows Mallet out of the water statistically. Mallet broke out in his overage year with 34 goals in 68 games. Good production but far from amazing in the QMJHL. Prior to that he scored 20 goals in 203 games. We used a second rounder for him.

Fox on the other hand breaks out with 41 goals in 35 games, insane production in the lower scoring OHL. Prior he had 54 goals in 176. So unlike Mallet, he actually produced offensively early on.

That said, I can't believe we used a 2nd round pick on Mallet.

Wanna stop posting like a tool?

I didn't say I agreed with him, but that was the other poster's point of view. Don't forget, 6 months ago he wasn't leading the OHL in goals, so that's not a fair comparison. Look at Tanner Pearson. Wasn't drafted in 2011, then led the OHL in points, was drafted 30th in 2012. I don't think Fox is on the same level as Pearson was, but the point is that one season can make a big difference.

And don't act like you're smarter either, you thought that the other poster meant we were going to trade Fox for a 2nd.

Excellent comparison. Pearson also made the jump to pro quite seasmlessly, and would probably be an NHLer if the Kings didnt have so much depth and other great prospects.

I still dont really know enough about this player to have an educated opinion, but upon first glance he looks as though hes a solid AHL signing with potential to grow.

"What does this even mean? An overage guy that everyone including the Canuck's passed on? If ya think Gillis can flip him for a second rounder yer delusional."

Tanev - an over-ager that everyone, including the Canucks, passed on. Burrows - an over-ager that everyone, including the Canucks, passed on. We could never get a second rounder for either of them.

"no, he said he was equivalent so a trade for a 2nd might be fair. Look, we all know some first rounders are busts and some un-drafted guys end up dooin' well but to call Fox a free second rounder 10 seconds after signing him is friggin' ridiculous and you know it (or at least you should)."

That's not what he said, nor what you implied in your first post. I don't think you, in light of that, are in any position to tell people what they should or should not know.

Some thing I posted from Hockey Futures Board

Well I've always been a fan of the kid (as evidenced by the fact that I started this thread with an interview I did with him).

I think an NHL team just has to give this guy a chance. He's had some issues in the past but I think he's matured as a player and as a person. If someone like Myles Bell can get a second chance, Fox deserves one too.

He's flat out dominating shifts at times this year. He might be playing with McDavid, but he's not feeding off him, he's creating chances for himself and for his linemates too. He's a solid two way player who works hard and is definitely a pest for the opposition. He has one of the best wrist shots in the OHL. Seen him score a couple of beauties this year. Definitely has a pro release and shot.

I think he's an NHL prospect and I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a shot.

quick release

From Hockey's Future: (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/dane_fox/ "

"2011-12: Fox was among the top scorers for league-leading London before being traded to last-place Erie in January in a trade-deadline deal. Fox scored 11 goals with 12 assists in 34 games with the Knights prior to the trade. He was one of the key offensive players for the Otters after the trade. In 62 games between the two teams Fox scored 23 goals with 31 assists and was minus-12 with 87 penalty minutes. Erie won just ten games and failed to make the OHL playoffs. Fox was invited to the NHL Draft Combine and ranked 46th amongst North American skaters in Central Scouting's final rankings prior to the 2012 NHL Draft."

"2012-13: Fox attended the New York Rangers prospect camp and then suffered a freak foot injury in August which kept him out of the Erie Otters lineup until December. He scored at just under a point-per-game pace after returning, finishing the year with 19 goals and 17 assists in 37 games. Fox was -1 with 78 penalty minutes on an Erie team that had the OHL's second worst record."

Fox was ranked #46 among NA skaters in the 2011-12 draft, but not taken. He attended the NY Rangers prospect camp in 2012 - where Tortarella would almost certainly have seen him - but got injured after the camp and before the start of the season. Perhaps Torts had input into this selection, along with scouts checking out Gaunce?

Not a bad pickup. Whether or not he's actually in the Canucks' plan to be in the NHL in the future, Gaunce certainly is. Having both spending time together in the AHL will definitely help Gaunce to adjust from junior to pro.

And who knows? Sometimes there are players who normally wouldn't be in the major leagues, but may make it due to some uncanny chemistry with certain players.

Low res due to erie's feeds being quite poor.

Holy $%@! this guy is freak'n AWESOME :frantic: . WE might have the next Corey Perry folks. I know its a stretch, but those are goal scorers goals!!! :towel:. He has sick hands, he's a sniper with a rifle of a shot, and he knows how to get open like a pure goal scorer :emot-parrot: . Don't mind me i'm just a little excited!

Fox was snubbed last year in the NHL Draft and may suffer a similar fate this year. He broke his foot over the summer and only returned midway through the season. He has solid offensive skills (as evidenced by his 19 goals and 36 points in 37 games), but needs to work on his defensive game.

He has good, but not great, speed and needs to improve on his first step and acceleration.

From Hockeysfuture.

We are at 48 contract spots now, Gillis might be looking to sign one more. Hopefully a Utica player I want to see success there.

Thanks this is the post that answers my question regarding why he wasn't drafted. It's amazing he's not been on the radar sooner. I wonder if they Canucks had to sign him before Jan 1 or was than even a issue?

Holy $%@! this guy is freak'n AWESOME :frantic: . WE might have the next Corey Perry folks. I know its a stretch, but those are goal scorers goals!!! :towel:. He has sick hands, he's a sniper with a rifle of a shot, and he knows how to get open like a pure goal scorer :emot-parrot: . Don't mind me i'm just a little excited!

Yeah well, put that thing away or you'll poke someone's eye out.

Article from the Chatham News

The Canucks revealed the signing on the weekend, but Fox said actually got his signature on a contract Dec. 24.

Fox, 20, leads the Ontario Hockey League with 41 goals and is second with 67 points.

He's also fourth in plus-minus rating (plus-27) and ninth in penalty minutes (71).

“They (the Canucks) were happy with the numbers I was putting up this year,” said the six-foot, 185-pound Fox, “and I can contribute in every area.”

Other NHL teams were interested, but the Canucks were the most aggressive. He met them for dinner two or three times in the past month.

The Canucks flew him to Chicago to watch them play the Blackhawks on Dec. 20, then he travelled with the team to Vancouver and watched another game Dec. 22 against the Winnipeg Jets.

He returned home and received the Canucks' contract by fax.

Yeah, that's pretty impressive stuff. I don't care who's setting him up: he knows how to get open and can definitely finish. Looks like Hunter may have company in the future sniper slot on this team.

I know it is ridiculous but after watching this video feel like Fox might be the perfect compliment to the Sedins...... he just gets open and rifles it.

he really does.. im trying to avoid expectations here but on paper, that could possibly work in a few years.

Archived