The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dane Fox | LW/C

Go Go Canucks Go

Parity...it has trickled down to the AHL bringing up the level of talent from all the kids with talent the world is producing these days.

The ECHL must be getting better because of it, Longpre on the third line down there is a surprise he looked pretty shifty in the AHL.

It's all getting jammed up with players who would have been in a league higher up a few years ago.

It's why goons are gone in the NHL...no room for them with so many good rookies pushing for spots.

Parity...it has trickled down to the AHL bringing up the level of talent from all the kids with talent the world is producing these days.

The ECHL must be getting better because of it, Longpre on the third line down there is a surprise he looked pretty shifty in the AHL.

It's all getting jammed up with players who would have been in a league higher up a few years ago.

It's why goons are gone in the NHL...no room for them with so many good rookies pushing for spots.

this is one of the main pro-expansion arguments. every year there are more and more players being drafted that have NHL potential, mainly because training techniques have gotten better and better over the years. this means that more teams could be added easily without having a significant dropoff in talent, and it could potentially lead to an even more talented league,

Talk about streaky (regardless of whatever it is).

7 points (3g, 4a) in first 5 games.

3 points (2g, 1a) in next 20 games.

8 points (6g, 2a) in last 5 games.

It goes without saying that, although this specific rate of production is unsustainable, I hope he can continue to at least play "well".

If he can even that out a little, I'd be all for it. You can't stick in the NHL if you disappear for long stretches. Once you're there you migth get some leeway, before anyone says anything, but it's hard to crack a line up doing that.

Like I said, I hope he's flipped the switch and continues to do well.

The ECHL site is a bit confusing. If you use it from the home page of favourites it takes you back to the last day's games that you were there.

But Fox did indeed have another 2 goals tonight, now 18 points in 30 games. His coach said recently that he's been playing better. Valk with one assist, for 29 points in 27 games. Good to see them getting their legs in their first season as pros.

Valk is another I'd like to see succeed. He's certainly put it together this year, but we'll see if he can take the next step into the AHL and if he can become a legitimate NHL player at some point.

this is one of the main pro-expansion arguments. every year there are more and more players being drafted that have NHL potential, mainly because training techniques have gotten better and better over the years. this means that more teams could be added easily without having a significant dropoff in talent, and it could potentially lead to an even more talented league,

I don't know if that increases the top level of talent as much though. That's where my worry would be with expansion 'watering down' the product, where the depth players may be better, but they're making up a larger percentage of the rosters once they add more teams.

And would more 'goons' begin to find homes in the NHL again as the cutoff changes again?

I'm completely in the dark on this guy, except knowing he scored a b**tload of goals last year in the OHL, and had enough penalty minutes to suggest a gritty streak. So...any chance, with improved skating (one of the main bullet points I see against him) that he could be another Burrows?

I'm completely in the dark on this guy, except knowing he scored a b**tload of goals last year in the OHL, and had enough penalty minutes to suggest a gritty streak. So...any chance, with improved skating (one of the main bullet points I see against him) that he could be another Burrows?

Is there a chance? Yeah. Is it a good chance? Ehh

Well, I can't necessarily count him out since Burrows, himself, was less of a producer in juniors and put up a PPG pace slightly less than Fox right now, in his own rookie season in the ECHL.

That being said, those cases are so rare that I would bet that he doesn't become more than a bottom-6 forward at the NHL level, if he were to ever get there at all. For me, his ceiling is, with improved skating, an agitator-type serviceable 3rd liner who can chip in with goals every now and then. Let's not forget that the Sedins played a large role in turning Burrows into a serviceable top-6 forward too. Something Fox does have that is quite exceptional, according to people who have seen him in person, is a very good wrist shot. I think ultimately he is either a good AHLer or depth NHL forward.

I haven't based my expectations/predictions on any specific statistics but, given what we have seen so far, I am certainly not expecting a top-6 forward out of him.

I wouldn't mind being wrong, obviously.

Fox's scoring seems to be picking up. It's nothing earth-shattering, but after a slow start he's been scoring decently the last while and is up to 11 g + 10 ast in 34 games for the K-Wings.

Does anyone know if his skating is improving? Thx.

Archived