The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toughest stretch of the season coming up

Chauncey

Not to look past the next two games against Calgary and Philadelphia, but the following seven games will constitute the most challenging stretch of the season for the Canucks.

January 1 vs Tampa Bay (8th in the league)

January 4 at Los Angeles (6th in the league)

January 5 at Anaheim (1st in the league)

January 7 vs Pittsburgh (4th)

January 10 vs St. Louis (3rd)

January 13 vs Los Angeles (6th)

January 15 vs Anaheim (1st)

And then the next game is against Phoenix, who is 11th in the league. It's not clear when exactly Luongo will be back from injury, regardless these seven or eight games will show us where the Canucks are at at this point in the season, what their needs are, and really how we stand up against the top teams in the league during a consistent period of tough games. I'm looking forward to this challenge and how the new coach will manage this stretch.

I think this will make or break our season...if we lose the majority of these games we likely will fall to far behind in the Pacific division and lose home-ice advantage in the playoffs

I'd like to see us bring up Archibald and make a grittier line-up for this stretch. Guys like Y.Weber are gonna have a hard time...

you cant look at the schedule and base off of teams standings how tough its going to be... alot of other things come into play... how many games in a short period are our opponents playing? do they have injuries? are they slumping? ect.... so many times ive seen what was supposed to be a great game turn into a stinker because the other team failed to show up and mailed it in...and or we failed to show up.... if you could say 100% all teams would be playing their best at the time we face them and we are playing our best then you can use such stretches as an indication of how we match up.but we know that just isnt the case.......thats why a playoff series is a best of 7 to decide who the better team is not just 1.

Definately going to be a tough test. But I believe the canucks will pull through. Lack has to be solid, the sedins have to pick it up a little, can't rely on the kes line all the time. Booth & kassian are slowly coming on, and the 4th line can play when counted on. Just hope burrows, comes back soon and gets it figured out.

you cant look at the schedule and base off of teams standings how tough its going to be... alot of other things come into play... how many games in a short period are our opponents playing? do they have injuries? are they slumping? ect.... so many times ive seen what was supposed to be a great game turn into a stinker because the other team failed to show up and mailed it in...and or we failed to show up.... if you could say 100% all teams would be playing their best at the time we face them and we are playing our best then you can use such stretches as an indication of how we match up.but we know that just isnt the case.......thats why a playoff series is a best of 7 to decide who the better team is not just 1.

What about November when schroeder was our only injured player. When the schedule got tough our record took a nosedive. I said that if we win our 3 games on the road trip that this team is for real. Well we went 1-1-1 against dallas, chicago, and minny.

Historically, there's usually a bit of a slump in January.

7-2-2 in Jan 2012 finishing the month tops in the NHL?

40 January 2 San Jose 3–2 Vancouver SO Luongo 18,890 24–13–3 51 Recap 41 January 4 Minnesota 0–3 Vancouver Luongo 18,890 25–13–3 53 Recap 42 January 7 Vancouver 4–3 Boston Schneider 17,565 26–13–3 55 Recap 43 January 9 Vancouver 1–2 Florida Luongo 16,712 26–14–3 55 Recap 44 January 10 Vancouver 5–4 Tampa Bay SO Schneider 17,630 27–14–3 57 Recap 45 January 12 Vancouver 3–2 St. Louis OT Luongo 18,231 28–14–3 59 Recap 46 January 15 Anaheim 4–2 Vancouver Luongo 18,890 28–15–3 59 Recap 47 January 17 Los Angeles 3–2 Vancouver SO Luongo 18,890 28–15–4 60 Recap 48 January 21 San Jose 3–4 Vancouver Luongo 18,890 29–15–4 62 Recap 49 January 24 Edmonton 2–3 Vancouver SO Luongo 18,890 30–15–4 64 Recap 50 January 31 Chicago 2–3 Vancouver OT Schneider 18,890 31–15–4 66 Recap

That was without the Sedin's or Kesler playing particularly well.

Not to look past the next two games against Calgary and Philadelphia, but the following seven games will constitute the most challenging stretch of the season for the Canucks.

January 1 vs Tampa Bay (8th in the league)

And then the next game is against Phoenix, who is 11th in the league. It's not clear when exactly Luongo will be back from injury, regardless these seven or eight games will show us where the Canucks are at at this point in the season, what their needs are, and really how we stand up against the top teams in the league during a consistent period of tough games. I'm looking forward to this challenge and how the new coach will manage this stretch.

Pretty good OP post. The real impact is 4 the games against division rivals LA and Anaheim. Could vault or set us back!

- I think we can beat Tampa at home without Stamkos?

- We'll see how the road in back to back tests against LA and Anaheim fares. The Anaheim game looks like a big ask? And will we have Lou back for one of them? 1 point?

- The last 4 games are at home with a day or 2's rest. I think we can get 5 or 6 points here?

A conservative look with 9 points or better and I call the stretch a success. And its doable!

I really think the Anaheim and LA games are ours to win. Jones' and Scriven's play will indeed falter. we have been much better against the Ducks lately and play them tight. The Bolts and Pens as well should be gimme games as both are missing some significant players. St Luis is now missing Steen and we just seem to have their number when we skate and don't muck around.

All in all we should go 5-2 5-1-1 or even 4-2-1 or 4-3 in this stretch.

Not only is it possible but pretty much how it should play out reasonably.

win 3 of these 6 and we get what we expect

4 of 6 and we are happy

5 of 6 and we are ecstatic

6 of 6 and we are kissing strange girls (well... maybe we can do that anyways)

Kind of wish we still had Schneider at this point. Would feel more comfortable with him in net instead of Lack. Hope the kid comes up big for us. He's been pretty soild this season, but knowing your a back up and having Lu there to bail you out, and being the guy for a little stretch here (against some strong competition) with no experienced goalie to back you up is a different story. Keep in mind it's also his first season facing NHL competition on a regular basis.

What about November when schroeder was our only injured player. When the schedule got tough our record took a nosedive. I said that if we win our 3 games on the road trip that this team is for real. Well we went 1-1-1 against dallas, chicago, and minny.

Well we may as well just give up, then .. thanks for ruining the season ..

Archived