The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I'm confused about this - (how Canada should be run?) tldr

Tom Sestito

I was thinking the other day about how tax money gets wasted according to some people, and where that stems from. The money of our taxes goes straight to the provincial government/federal government right? Then they decide how much goes to which city, and then it works down from there right? I mean, wouldn't everything be better run if our country was actually run from the bottom to the top? >> Our tax money goes straight to the municipal government, and then all major uses of the money are approved by a strong majority of the residents. It'd lead to much better use and our knowledge of how money is used wouldn't it? Not sure how provincial things will be run/built (i.e. ferries) but if anyone wants to answer that as well, it'd be nice :P

I'm assuming I'm missing something completely obvious that would answer my question. The BC education system needs to force a lot more information down our throats instead more than the history really. (I'm only in grade ten, Google couldn't really resolve my question/thoughts, so CDC is last resort really)

The money of our taxes goes straight to the provincial government/federal government right? Then they decide how much goes to which city, and then it works down from there right?

Not quite. In a nutshell...

The municipal government gets its money through property taxes, licensing fees, permits and other assorted means.

The provincial government collects income tax, sales tax, natural resource royalties and assorted other taxes and fees.

The federal government also collects income tax and goods & services tax and assorted other taxes, royalties and fees.

The federal government gives some money to the provinces through transfer payments which are supposed to go to help pay for things like health care.

The federal and provincial government can also give municipalities money through grants which are typically for specific projects.

I am not sure if this answers your question, but it basically comes down to, who pays for the project depends on who is responsible for the project. For example, a road within your city would be a municipal project but a bridge on a highway (like the Port Mann or the Okanagan floating bridge) would be a provincial project.

Just admit you need CDC to help you write an essay due next week because Google failed you

No homework for winter, except a lab I missed for science. That's physics though which is simple enough.

Also lol, like I said they don't focus at all on current politics or the government in general. Maybe they will in grade eleven/twelve but this year it's all BC History...

No homework for winter, except a lab I missed for science. That's physics though which is simple enough.

Also lol, like I said they don't focus at all on current politics or the government in general. Maybe they will in grade eleven/twelve but this year it's all BC History...

For me, Canadian government/laws (along with WWI, Great Depression, WWII, Cold War) was in Grade 11. Luckily that was also the year that I got the best Social Studies teacher at my school so I learned it all well. Unfortunately, it's all provincially examinable.

Archived