NY ISLANDERS at BOSTON (7:00 PM)

MONTREAL at CAROLINA (7:00 PM)

BUFFALO at WINNIPEG (7:00 PM)

LOS ANGELES at DALLAS (8:00 PM)

COLUMBUS at COLORADO (8:00 PM)

SAN JOSE at ANAHEIM (8:00 PM)

PHILADELPHIA at CALGARY (9:00 PM)

EDMONTON at PHOENIX (9:00 PM)

Steven Stamkos was seen in full gear today as he makes progress after suffering a broken right tibia.

“It’s frustrating at the time, you’re angry, you’re blaming other people but at the end of the day I think that was the best thing…you have to go through moments like that to get stronger.”

Video: Steven Stamkos soon some light skating in full gear #tblightning

A video posted by Erik Erlendsson (@erlendssontbo) on Jan 2, 2014 at 1:09pm PST

Panthers captain Ed Jovanovski will return tomorrow night after being sidelined since March after undergoing major hip surgery. Jovanovski is trying to come back from hip resurfacing, a procedure consisting of placing a metal cap over the femur and a matching metal cup in the pelvic socket. It’s less invasive than a complete hip replacement (because more of the femur is left intact), but still a significant procedure.

It’s believed that no athlete from any of the four major professional sports has ever come back successfully after this relatively new procedure.

Former Lightning center Tim Taylor underwent hip resurfacing at 37 after the 2007 season and never played another NHL game. Bo Jackson, an NFL and MLB star, had a hip replacement in 1991 and was forced to retire at 29.

“I don’t think it’s ever happened,” said Dr. Audie Rolnick, a Plantation hip replacement surgeon, who doesn’t do resurfacing.

“Hockey of all sports, has a huge amount of stress on the joint and the hips, so I think it’s going to be pretty rough for him at 37 to come back. His skating will be fine, but it’s the crashing into the boards and other players crashing into him. The crashes will loosen up the prosthesis and cause pain.

“I would never let anyone go back to playing a sport like this.”

Archived