The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What would Canada's team look like if NHL players weren't allowed in the Olympics?

Langdon Algur

As I'm sure most of you remember up a couple of years ago it wasn't 100% clear if the NHL would let it's players attend the olympic games. The NHL still hasn't said if players will be allowed to attend the 2018 games.

While watching a few World Jr games and the odd Spengler Cup this got me thinking without NHL players who would Canada send to the Olympics. Would the team be made up of Canadian pro's playing in Europe, ala Spengler Cup? AHL vets without an NHL contract? or future NHL stars playing in Jr. I'm guessing it would be likely a combo of all 3 with mostly guys like Byron Ritchie and Darren Haydar playing in Europe but Jr stars like Droiun would like also get a look. Thoughts? Anyone want to suggest names of top Canadian non-NHL players.

While European countrie would still be able to ice decent teams from their leagues such as the KHL and SEL and the States would likely look to the NCAA, Canada could be hurting for non-NHL talent. How do you think Canada would do in a tourney like this?

Ahl players and European league players from canada. With a few studs from junior like mcdavid, horvat, exbald ect...

Ahl players and European league players from canada. With a few studs from junior like mcdavid, horvat, exbald ect...

Not sure how good McDavid would do playing against men, but it would be hard to pass on his skill.

I wouldn't watch olympic hockey if NHLers were prohibited from this event. The Olympics only happen every four years anyways. I don't see a problem with the delay of NHL action for just a couple weeks. It's a chance at national pride with the best players in the world playing for their respective nations; the players really enjoy it as well. A gold medal at the olympics it's the next closest thing (even more for some) to a Stanley cup...Bettman and his crew need to get their heads out of their a$$es. The Russians or Swedes would probably always win with their KHL and elite league talents if the NHL doesn't take part.

It would be made up of the best amateurs available, the way it should be. I really don't see the point in stopping the NHL season to see a lot of the same players playing in the Olympics.

Um... The Olympics is the highest stage in sports, the best of the best athletes in the world, not washed up ex NHL'ers.

Russia would win every time as they would still have all the KHL Players.

I dont understand how anyone could feel that way especially after 2010.

Olympic hockey > Regular season hockey

I'd prefer they just include the world's best players, that are UNDER 23 yrs old..The pro/amateur thing is no longer relevant, anyways.

Something to make it different than the World Cup/Canada Cup idea. Grant NHL teams ability to call up/replace all their NHL slots, & play through Feb's(albeit a relaxed, lighter sched).

Oly's are overrated advertising-campaigns. Hardly watch the damnthings.

Archived