The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Jaromir Jagr won't ask for trade at Trade Deadline

Well, there goes the "Jagr to Canucks" proposals. Jaromir Jagr, the Devils' leading scorer, says he is happy playing in New Jersey and wouldn't want to be traded to a contender at the trade deadline:

“I’m not going to ask for a trade if everything stays the same. I’ll fight to the end. I like it here too much,” Jagr told The Star-Ledger. “I would hate to go to some team just to help them. I’d feel like a rented guy.

“They’d use me the way they want to, not because they need me. They’d already be happy with their team. I don’t think I’d play the same way. I need my 18-19 minutes. I need to play a lot in the third period when the game is on the line and guys are getting tired. I hope I stay. Everything can change, but I’ve had fun. I like the system we play. Even though it’s a more defensive system, I don’t mind it at all.”

http://www.nj.com/de...t_deadline.html

Of course he likes it in NJ. He gets his minutes, and is able to put up points and break records. He doesn't need to win a cup, or anything. He just needs to solidify himself as one of the greatest ever.

If he plays again next year in New Jersey and gets his minutes, the same minutes that he won't get on a contending team, he'll be top 5 all time in goals, points, and solidify himself in the top 10 in assist.

If he keeps up his pace this season, it'll be one of best seasons for anyone 40+.

and people will say and pretend as if stats don't matter, well think again. It's a different era, and these days, players are much more athletic than 20-30 years ago. The game is faster and more physical, even if you are the best player in the world, you'll have a target on your back. The goalies are too good now, and we'll rarely see any 120+ point seasons like we used to.

Jagr doesn't represent only himself, he also represents his country when he's breaking records.

Archived