The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks at the halfway point: A look at the stats

-AJ-

So, as most of you know, we're at the halfway point of the season now, so I figured a nice look at the stats and where we are progressing would be appropriate.

I have calculated the paces all the main stats of the Canuck players including games.

*If you're wondering how I calculated the games played paces, I did it by taking their current games played divided by our team's games played, then multiplying by 82, much like all the other stats.

The table below shows what our players' stats would look like at the end of the season, if they continued on their current pace:

CanuckPointpaces.png

At this pace the Canucks will have:

- Four 50-point players

- Three 20-goal scorers

- Nine 10-goal scorers

I've listed all notable milestones that would also be reached if players were to go at their current paces below as well:

D. Sedin - 500 assists

- 800 points

H. Sedin - 1000 games

- 200 goals

R. Kesler - 400 points

M. Santorelli - 100 points

J. Garrison - 300 games

- 100 points

C. Higgins - 600 games

A. Burrows - 600 games

- 300 points

T. Sestito - 100 games

Below, I've also prepared the paces for our goaltenders:

CanuckGoaliepaces.png

Also, Luongo's potential milestone - 800 games

Also, there are some notable potential all-time ranking stats that should be noted:

- H. Sedin could move into 60th all-time in assists.

- Luongo could move into 13th all-time in games, wins, and shutouts among goaltenders.

I've also laid out the pace that our team is on this season.

Wins - 46 wins

Losses - 22 losses

OT - 14 OT

Record - 46-22-14

Points - 106 points

Point % - 0.646

G/G - 2.66

GA/G - 2.24

PP% - 14.7%

PK% - 89.7%

It's also worth noting that currently, the Canucks are on pace to set the all-time NHL record for the highest penalty kill percentage in the regular season. Currently, the record holders are the 2011-12 New Jersey Devils who had an 89.58% PK.

Hope you enjoyed this look at the Canucks at the halfway point!

Unfortunately, as great as that stat is, our great penalty kill doesn't cancel out the dreadful powerplay.

The extrapolated stats show one thing alright, we need to score more goals.

edit: engerish

double edit: nice work putting that together in a readable format aj, and 4 50 point players during a winning season really shows that there is scoring by committee. Just not too much of it. Just a though that I am about to go look up, how the LA kings did scoring wise the year they squeaked into the playoffs and took the cake.

Unfortunately, as great as that stat is, our great penalty kill doesn't cancel out the dreadful powerplay.

double edit: nice work putting that together in a readable format aj, and 4 50 point players during a winning season really shows that there is scoring by committee. Just not too much of it. Just a though that I am about to go look up, how the LA kings did scoring wise the year they squeaked into the playoffs and took the cake.

actually, it does... our pk is 89% and pp about 15%... so you total that up and you get 104%, so if the teams 5on5 goals for/against ratio is above 1.00 ( currently 1.13 ), then it literally does make up for the bad pp bcuz when you add the numbers up, we score more goals than we let in ( not by much ), which means we win more games than lose them

i read a quote somewhere before(might have been on CDC) " Powerplay runs up the score, but PK's win the game"

this was sooooo true in the SCF in 2011 when our PP dried up and boston took us to town on their PP

We should be pretty happy about this. If Sedins had ten more points each then no one would complain and I think they could do that with Burrows. And Burrows is also another 50 point player although he wasn't playing great when he was here. And Edler is a 40+ point player and Schroeder would also add a few points. Also I think Luongo's stats wont stay the same, he had a rough patch earlier which kinda screwed his stats but now he and the team as a whole are playing great. When our team is fully healthy we can be an elite team

The Canucks sit in sixth spot in the west.

They have three games in hand on Colorado,Phoenix and Dallas.

As good as the Canucks goaltending and Santorelli,Kes and Higgins have been this season the team sits right on the edge of not making the playoffs.

More is needed and that has to come from those that have yet to fully participate-Burrows,Schroeder,Booth,Kassian and Edler.

As good as the Canucks goaltending and Santorelli,Kes and Higgins have been this season the team sits right on the edge of not making the playoffs.

More is needed and that has to come from those that have yet to fully participate-Burrows,Schroeder,Booth,Kassian and Edler.

1 game and 1 point behind LA Kings though, who have lost 3 in a row, cups half full on this 1 nit. Also we are 6 points up on Phoenix, 8 points up on Dallas, and 3 points up on Colorado.

But I do realize just how tight it is, no room for a slump right now.

I disagree with you a bit about your special teams comments. First, if you add the two numbers up they are over 100 percent total, which means we are above average in special teams in general. Also, I think it is better this way than the reverse. We arent relying on our powerplay to win us games like sometimes in the past, and in the playoffs when penalties dry up and nothing gets called, it shouldnt affect our scoring too much.

Canucks are 8 points away from 9th place, while having played three more games, that is a pretty decent cushion. As well as 6 points up on 7th place, also having played three more games. People can argue that its actually really close because if they win them all and such, but look at the records, pheonix has won 3 of their last 10, dallas has won half of their last 10. According to sportsclubstats.com which you should take a look at if you arent familiar with, we have a 92 percent chance of making the playoffs. Of course there are always statistical anamolies, but it isnt quite as desperate as you are making it out to be

Canucks are 8 points away from 9th place, while having played three more games, that is a pretty decent cushion. As well as 6 points up on 7th place, also having played three more games. People can argue that its actually really close because if they win them all and such, but look at the records, pheonix has won 3 of their last 10, dallas has won half of their last 10. According to sportsclubstats.com which you should take a look at if you arent familiar with, we have a 92 percent chance of making the playoffs. Of course there are always statistical anamolies, but it isnt quite as desperate as you are making it out to be

statistics can be used any way we want, so nuck nit has a point, yet we are in a decent position. Still believe that January will b a defining moment in this season, just a much as I didn't pay too much attention to all the hype in early November, when we didn't do too well against our main play off competitors ( remember the sky is falling, panic period). The team is playing tough now and over the last few years they have always gotten better as the season progressed. If we can avoid injuries, we could end up having a good year

This is true but based on win % we're 7th in the west. With a not so great start to the season if we keep on pace (which I highly doubt our win% doesn't get higher in the second half) we're sitting pretty good.

Despite all of the positives with the numbers (and good job to ajhockey on compiling the stats), the glaring issue we have is the PP.

I can think of five games this season we "should have" or "could have" won had we scored more on the PP. Even last night with Philly, the PP could or should have given us the regulation win.

What's frustrating is that had we won four or five of those "should have" games with the PP working, we'd have a record similar to the Ducks, Blackhawks, Pens. Had we beat Florida, the CBJ, Dallas, won the first Phoenix game, we'd be at the top of our division ... our PP should have made the difference in those games.

I get the other side of the PP argument with our strong PK, but you can now point to the games where the PP was a huge problem in relation to where we are in the standings. And we're really only talking about a four or five game difference. Again, last night with Philly, 0-4 on the PP in a "should have" won game.

We can beat any elite team, but we're dropping too many "should have" won games when the PP could have made the difference.

Archived