The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey mom murdered outside Surrey

hockeyfan87

Surrey Mounties are warning the public to be hyper-vigilant after a hockey mom was nearly beaten to death while picking up her son from a weekend tournament.

The 53-year-old was found unconscious and severely injured in the parking lot of Newton Arena by first responders and RCMP around 9:30 p.m. Sunday.

She remains clinging to life in hospital but is not expected to survive, and the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has already been called to take conduct of the case.

Authorities believe the victim suffered a vicious, unprovoked attack during a purse robbery, and her assailant may have struck her with a rock that was found at the scene.

“We’re trying to determine exactly how this woman received her injuries,” IHIT Sgt. Adam MacIntosh said. “It’s possible that the rock was a part of that.”

Tournament officials describe the victim as a dedicated mother who volunteered as a timekeeper with Surrey Minor Hockey.

Investigators say Sunday’s attack bears similarities to another incident in the same area earlier this month, prompting police and even Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts to urge the public to take steps to stay safe.

“This is a tragic incident and our prayers go out to the family and the woman who is currently on life support,” Watts told reporters at a joint press conference outside of the recreation centre Monday afternoon. “Our goal here today is to get this individual off the street.”

The earlier attack took place Dec. 16, after a woman had just stepped off a bus just a couple hundred metres away from the Newton Arena parking lot.

Mounties are warning women to be extra vigilant and walk with a friend whenever possible, especially after dark.

"It is important that people are aware of their surroundings when they are out and that they keep their valuables concealed," Surrey RCMP Const. Bert Paquet said. "We need to apprehend the person or persons responsible for this horrible crime."

RCMP also advised anyone who is being robbed to give the perpetrator all the property they want if they are approached and verbally or physically threatened.

There have been 24 homicides this year in Surrey, which broke its previous murder record of 22 in November.

Investigators are asking anyone who was in the area of the Newton Arena, Newton bus loop or Newton wave pool last night between 7 to 11 p.m. to contact the IHIT tip line at 1-877-551-4448 by email at ihittipline@rcmp-grc.gc.ca.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca...rvive-1.1612079

My Perspective: This area is right behind the Newton Wave Pool and a major bus loop. It's known for transients, prostitutes, drug addicts, the mentally ill and other low lifes. I used to play hockey at this same arena when I was a kid throughout the 90s and early 2000s.

It makes me angry that a 14 year old lost his mom so senselessly. This is a bad area of Surrey and there should have been cameras, better lighting, and more police patrols. With how pathetic our justice system is I wouldn't be surprised that the perpetrator uses a defense of NCRMD (wasn't responsible because he's sick) and does not spend a day in a jail cell.

This part of Surrey is a despicable place but I hope somehow that the greater community of Vancouver can be there for the son in a time like this. I lost a parent at the age of 17 to an illness but can't imagine what it would be like to have had them murdered at such a young age. I'm just pissed off.

When/if they catch whomever did it. They should lock him/her up for life, and forced to work 12 hour days, making toys or something and all the money earned goes to the victim's family.

Senseless. Worst part is even if they cleaned up the area, they'll just move to another neighbourhood putting other people at risk.

As a supplementary commentary to my original post I'd just like to say I don't think our justice system in Canada should be based on retribution (i.e. an eye for an eye). That being said as far as I'm concerned one innocent's mother death to a drug addict or a mentally ill person in the context of a purse theft is too many.

Whole sale closures of the psychiatric hospitals have taken place over the last several decades for several reasons such as to save direct costs associated with their operation but also the high minded idea that people who are potentially dangerous to others have a supreme right to their own liberty. Where do these people go? They go to the streets, develop drug addictions, and become parasites on society because due to their mental illness (either directly or because of the stigma) they are unemployable.

As much as I want to see the perpetrator caught and the key thrown away an instance such as this is also a reflection of government's lack of desire and incompetence in addressing the real issues that affect areas of cities like this where the mentally ill tend to congregate. Screw Dianna Watts, screw Christy Clark, and screw Stephen Harper. Real change in our world isn't possible through the governments we have. It will eventually come down to grassroots change.

My Perspective: This area is right behind the Newton Wave Pool and a major bus loop. It's known for transients, prostitutes, drug addicts, the mentally ill and other low lifes. I used to play hockey at this same arena when I was a kid throughout the 90s and early 2000s.

It makes me angry that a 14 year old lost his mom so senselessly. This is a bad area of Surrey and there should have been cameras, better lighting, and more police patrols. With how pathetic our justice system is I wouldn't be surprised that the perpetrator uses a defense of NCRMD (wasn't responsible because he's sick) and does not spend a day in a jail cell.

This part of Surrey is a despicable place but I hope somehow that the greater community of Vancouver can be there for the son in a time like this. I lost a parent at the age of 17 to an illness but can't imagine what it would be like to have had them murdered at such a young age. I'm just pissed off.

I used to play hockey there from 93-99, men's team, we used to play Sat 11:30 PM until sometime Sunday morning....we had the last ice slot, and sometimes we played until the "kids" showed up for practice for the first ice time Sunday morning.

Even back then, we referred to that area as "rootin', tootin, shootin, Newton"

I hope they catch the scum.

An arena should be a "safe" place for families. A ball diamond or soccer field should be a "safe" place for families. An aquatic center should be a "safe" place for families. This poor kid has lost his mom, while he's refereeing in a hockey tournament for younger kids, something is wrong with this.

These areas around sky train stations are not safe, yet transit has hired all these high priced cops to protect citizens that use the malls, and other facilities near them.

As a supplementary commentary to my original post I'd just like to say I don't think our justice system in Canada should be based on retribution (i.e. an eye for an eye). That being said as far as I'm concerned one innocent's mother death to a drug addict or a mentally ill person in the context of a purse theft is too many.

Whole sale closures of the psychiatric hospitals have taken place over the last several decades for several reasons such as to save direct costs associated with their operation but also the high minded idea that people who are potentially dangerous to others have a supreme right to their own liberty. Where do these people go? They go to the streets, develop drug addictions, and become parasites on society because due to their mental illness (either directly or because of the stigma) they are unemployable.

As much as I want to see the perpetrator caught and the key thrown away an instance such as this is also a reflection of government's lack of desire and incompetence in addressing the real issues that affect areas of cities like this where the mentally ill tend to congregate. Screw Dianna Watts, screw Christy Clark, and screw Stephen Harper. Real change in our world isn't possible through the governments we have. It will eventually come down to grassroots change.

Not that there aren't some truths in your comments but it's too bad you had to turn this into a political rant.

This is a horrific attack against an innocent civilian. I hope for the family that the mother somehow pulls through. I also hope that the perpetrator is caught and severely punished. I am in favour of life imprisonment for deliberate, violent attacks such as this that result in severe disability or death. Unfortunately, murder in this day and age, is treated likes stealing was 100 years ago.

Not that there aren't some truths in your comments but it's too bad you had to turn this into a political rant.

This is a horrific attack against an innocent civilian. I hope for the family that the mother somehow pulls through. I also hope that the perpetrator is caught and severely punished. I am in favour of life imprisonment for deliberate, violent attacks such as this that result in severe disability or death. Unfortunately, murder in this day and age, is treated likes stealing was 100 years ago.

My only message was that don't expect any real protection or change from any level of government. Sorry if you view that as favouring one politcal party over another because it simply isn't. They are all inept and ineffectual. I don't want to side track the real story.

This story is heartbreaking.

Surrey needs to triple their police force and seriously look at more security for it's citizens.

It's easily one of the worst cities in North America to live in when it comes to Violent crime... and there's absolutely no reason for that.

Translink security was a joke, I haven't lived there for years but have a story about them. Yes, I know they are paid very low but don't seem to care when crimes are committed. My brother had his monthly pass taken from him by 4 skinheads and was told he was going to get pushed in front of the train. He told translink security and they just laughed and said oh well.

So random...where do these people come from? I live in Surrey, kinda get the gang shootings and such, but this kinda stuff doesn't even make any sense. Like I can't even see how this person would get anything from doing this.

Maybe she agitated? IDK nothing she could have done would deserve this, but it just makes no sense...outside a hockey rink? wow

Why would a guy need to hit a 53 yr old woman over the head with a rock to rob her of ~100$ when he could have probably just asked for it (forcefully)

Translink security was a joke, I haven't lived there for years but have a story about them. Yes, I know they are paid very low but don't seem to care when crimes are committed. My brother had his monthly pass taken from him by 4 skinheads and was told he was going to get pushed in front of the train. He told translink security and they just laughed and said oh well.

I swear ive read that transit police make a little less then vpd. So these guys are making almost 100k.

Archived