The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Building a hockey library

I'm a serious reader and am looking to build a hockey library. So far, I have The Greatest Hockey Stories Ever Told, Don Cherry's Hockey Stories and Stuff, Wayne Coffey's The Boys of Winter, and Sheldon Kannegiesser's Warriors of Winter: Rhymes of a Blueliner Balladeer. I'm considering Canucks At Forty. Is that the best book on the Nucks? I'm also looking at Bobby Orr's new book, Derek Sanderson's Crossing The Line, and Ken Dryden's The Game. I'm also interested in anything about the WHA. I'd really appreciate suggestions on any and all players and leagues worth the time and money. Thanks.

In the '90s, there was a title by Ottawa Sun's, Roy McGregor. It was Home Game, or Home Team?(sorry, forgot)..I've read a fair share of hockey books, & this one is indelibly stamped in memory. He examines the link between NHL players & their Fathers(mostly)..Remember families like the Howes, Dineens & even Ed Jovanosky's were featured. Was a real good read, I'd recommend.

"The Code" by Ross Bernstein... he's a local Minnesota writer (ok, local for me) that did a book on the unwritten rules of fighting and retaliation in hockey. He has quotes from many former NHL enforcers that describe when it's ok and when it's not ok to drop the gloves. It will give you a new perspective on how players today (and their teammates) have lost respect for each other and respect for the game.

Archived