The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yanking a Player out of a Game Warmup to Tell Him he's Traded: Classless?

Or business as usual?

This came up in the JM Liles trade thread. Apparently JM Liles was yanked out of the Winter Classic... Which would have been a career highlight game for him... pre-game warmup in order to be informed that he's been traded to Carolina.

It might be a regular thing to be traded, and it certainly wasn't out of the blue in this case, but isn't there a classier way to do it that to rip a guy's hopes at a career highlight game and throw them into the trash?

Another highly-publicized incident came when Cammo was ripped from a game in order to be traded to Calgary. Forget whether it was pre-game or not.

So i'm like, why? Why not let the guy play the bloody winter classic? Can't tell me Nonis and Rutherford weren't planning this for awhile. It just seems pretty low to let the guy dress up for the classic only to have him yanked.

I guess it bothered me because i'm sure Liles didn't deserve to be so mistreated there in the first place. Seemed like a really classless and semi-douchey move to send him off like that.

Are there any other instances when a guy is ripped out of a big game or pre-game to be traded?

Which franchises are more likely to not give a damn about their 'cattle?'

Pretty sure Cammo was after a shift or after the 1st or 2nd I know it was during the game and Cammo also did a classless act saying Montreal was playing like losers and deserved to lose...its one of the reasons I don't want him in Van because he has attitude problems

Pretty sure Cammo was after a shift or after the 1st or 2nd I know it was during the game and Cammo also did a classless act saying Montreal was playing like losers and deserved to lose...its one of the reasons I don't want him in Van because he has attitude problems

To be fair, they were playing like losers...

I definitely felt that it was a bit harsh to yank him out of the Winter Classic. If it was another game and he did dress but the traded was finalized at that warm-up, then it would be business as usual, but it just didn't seem right for this occasion.

I do also agree that JML could have been treated better during his time as a Maple Leaf but mistreatment in this league isn't uncommon so in that aspect, it is business as usual.

All the best to Liles in Carolina.

Didn't Vancouver almost do it to Luongo? Or was that a practice?

Also it's business as usual. Once a trade gets finalized it gets finalized, there's no waiting so the guy can play a game. Furthermore no team is going to finalize a trade to get a player but still let him play another game with his current team.

It;s business. If you have a trade to better your team you take it. If you let the player keep playing you risk him injuring himself and ruining the trade. The man makes nearly 4 million a year he will get over it it's a small sacrifice he takes for getting paid an absurd amount to play a children's game.

Trades take time, they were likely discussing this for a long time, once both sides agree its best to just make the trade official with the league ASAP. Once the trade is official the player has to go, they can't play another game, they can't continue to practice with their old team, they belong to someone else.

So once its official, there is no choice.

The reason to make it official immediately (rather than holding off for a day) is two fold. 1) What if JML had been injured in the Winter Classic? Then the deal would fall through and the other GM is going to hate you. 2) As MG would say, there are a lot of moving parts in the hockey business, what is available today likely will not be available tomorrow, that's how it works. You find a deal you like, you take it, and that's it.

Archived