The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Battle of the Swedish Centers

Niklas Backstrom Vs Henrik Sedin

Obviously we know who is the greater player throughout their entire length careers, but at this point in their career (the year 2014) and moving forward who is the better player. Henrik is 33 and his point production is slowing down, while Backstrom is 26 and just entering the prime of his career.

I know their will be a huge argument that Backstrom plays with the greatest goal scorer in this age but Henrik doesn’t play with a week player either in Daniel. Just for argument sake Backstrom has played 16 games without Ovechkin in the lineup. In that time Backstrom picked up 26 points. at a 1.63 PPG pace.

Both play the penalty kill (although Backstrom is first line PK)

Both are the two of the games best passers in the league (they know how to feather a puck)

Both play center (Sedin has a better F/O %)

Both born in Sweden

Both average 20+ minus of ice.

Backstrom

Currently sits 5th in the league point race with 44 point in 40 games.

Over the last two years he has 18 goals and 74 assist for a total of 92 points in 88 games and a (+3)

Has a F/O % of 48.9 in the last year

Backstrom is the capitals assistant captain

Sedin

Over the last two years 20 goals and 60 assist for a total of 80 points in 90 games and a (+28)

Has a F/O % of 50.6 in the last year

Has a ironman streak over 600 games.

Henrik is the Canucks captain

So there is the facts, the question is at “this point” in their careers who is the better player? This is a debate thread so don’t just post your, back up your decision with reasoning and facts. Both players are great Swedish players and it’s not a knock against either of them. So who do you choose?

I would have added another Swedish center that’s named Henrik as well into this debate but I felt two players will bring better responses. If you want to include him into the debate as well feel free.

Also

I would have put this into canucks talk but felt it was more of just a general discussion on two hockey players.

Well now this will be interesting to see.

What are the variables?

Backstrom has always played with super mega star Ovechkin and has always had a solid PMD in Green supporting his blue line. He will pot a ton of points over the next 6 years with these two guys

Hank has always played with his brother a star in his own right, but has also excelled and had his best year when Daniel was out of the line up for an extended period of time. But Hank has never had that guaranteed sniper nor has he had the leisure of having one of the leagues top PMD's working with him since day 1. As well Hank has suffered 2 full lockouts where Backstrom has suffered 1 shortened lockout

If we take out the variables I think Hank has had more of a detriment in terms of line mates through his twenties and most productive years and has always been at least statistically a more responsible player.

So 1 for 1 I am in camp Henrik

Niklas Backstrom Vs Henrik Sedin

Obviously we know who is the greater player throughout their entire length careers, but at this point in their career (the year 2014) and moving forward who is the better player. Henrik is 33 and his point production is slowing down, while Backstrom is 26 and just entering the prime of his career.

I know their will be a huge argument that Backstrom plays with the greatest goal scorer in this age but Henrik doesn’t play with a week player either in Daniel. Just for argument sake Backstrom has played 16 games without Ovechkin in the lineup. In that time Backstrom picked up 26 points. at a 1.63 PPG pace.

Both play the penalty kill (although Backstrom is first line PK)

Both are the two of the games best passers in the league (they know how to feather a puck)

Both play center (Sedin has a better F/O %)

Both born in Sweden

Both average 20+ minus of ice.

Backstrom

Currently sits 5th in the league point race with 44 point in 40 games.

Over the last two years he has 18 goals and 74 assist for a total of 92 points in 88 games and a (+3)

Has a F/O % of 48.9 in the last year

Backstrom is the capitals assistant captain

Sedin

Over the last two years 20 goals and 60 assist for a total of 80 points in 90 games and a (+28)

Has a F/O % of 50.6 in the last year

Has a ironman streak over 600 games.

Henrik is the Canucks captain

So there is the facts, the question is at “this point” in their careers who is the better player? This is a debate thread so don’t just post your, back up your decision with reasoning and facts. Both players are great Swedish players and it’s not a knock against either of them. So who do you choose?

I would have added another Swedish center that’s named Henrik as well into this debate but I felt two players will bring better responses. If you want to include him into the debate as well feel free.

Also

I would have put this into canucks talk but felt it was more of just a general discussion on two hockey players.

If you are starting a new team you go for the 26 year old.

If both were rentals, and you wanted to win this year (the best measure of who is the better hockey player right now) I'd issue the bet almost all GM's take Hank. He is the best passing center on the planet not named Crosby.

If you are the Canucks, its no discussion as loyalty should also count for something. He is already passing Linden as the best "Canuck" ever!

Hank has never played with a superstar like Ov all backstrom has to do is pass Ov the puck and the Great 8 takes it himself and puts it in the net

If you are starting a new team you go for the 26 year old.

If both were rentals, and you wanted to win this year (the best measure of who is the better hockey player right now) I'd issue the bet almost all GM's take Hank. He is the best passing center on the planet not named Crosby.

If you are the Canucks, its no discussion as loyalty should also count for something. He is already passing Linden as the best "Canuck" ever!

Sedin because they are both the face of the franchise.

Who is better is still Sedin ?

Put backstrom with Brouwer and johansen and he is a .40point player tops

Sedins are doing bad yet somehow are on pace for 70ish points with their line mate out pretty much the whole year.

Guest Dasein

This is tricky, because Henrik is the better player in his prime (not by much), but Henrik is at the tailend of his prime and Backstrom is younger and getting better. At this point in time, I would still take Henrik over Backstrom because he is still skilled and has the leadership and experience that Backstrom lacks. But looking forward, I would choose Backstrom obviously because he's entering his prime.

It's ironic how Backstroms stats dropped the last few years...... at the same time as Ovechkins.

Backstrom have been riding on the horse of Ovechkin his entire career. Luckiest hockey player ever.

I feel it's very unfortunate that he it over shadowed by Ovechkin. Backstrom's stats dipped when he got injured. He's been less than a ppg only 2 season in this league and one of those times was his rookie campaigns.

Not that I don't think Hank is an unreal players, because he is, but you can come to the same conclusion that he relies his brother as much as Backstrom relies on Ovi. There has been only 3 season where they have had a bigger point gap than 10 points. When Daniel has had an off year so has henrik. Their ppg is almost identical each year. I feel having watched Capitals over the last few seasons he is very underated as a player and he's sitting 5th in league in points right now and he is probably the least appreciated player out of the current top 25 point leaders. aka, people thinking he's only be a 40pt player without ovi. I've even pointed out that he produced at even a higher level when Ovechkin is out of the line up.

But the point of this topic isn't what they have done in the past it's who is the better player now. In my opinion the Sedins haven't been as dominate in this league as the have been in the past and Backstrom is continuing on the way up. Thats just my opinion

Sedin because they are both the face of the franchise.

Who is better is still Sedin ?

Put backstrom with Brouwer and johansen and he is a .40point player tops

Sedins are doing bad yet somehow are on pace for 70ish points with their line mate out pretty much the whole year.

Put sedin with Brouwer and johansen and he likely isn't much better. Both are first line players and by being first-line players you get first-line line-mates.

It's ironic how Backstroms stats dropped the last few years...... at the same time as Ovechkins.

Backstrom have been riding on the horse of Ovechkin his entire career. Luckiest hockey player ever.

Safe to say Kunitz and Dupuis would be the top contenders for that title. Chris has played with the likes of Getzlaf and Perry (IIRC) in his Duck days, and now he's with Sid.

RE: OP, I'd go with #33. Hank's about as durable as they come, and while both have done well without their running mates, I'm not sure how well Backstrom would do out west. Especially in the most recent seasons, Hank's been willing to fight back, plus he takes quite a bit of crap from tight checking but still performs at a high level. Backstrom and Ovie have had years of being privileged in that they're able to thrive in a run-and-gun Southeast Division, but I just don't know how well Nick would adjust. I'd give it to him that Nick probably has a better shot, but it's probably because Hank doesn't (want to?) shoot the puck, not that he can't score.

(Here's something to consider though: which division would you guys say had the weaker defenses - the Northwest or the Southeast? I mean it's easy to say that the Caps would thrive in their run-and-gun system, but the D-men in the Northwest weren't exactly as tough to cut through as diamonds).

Archived