The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Mattias Tedenby

@NHLDevilsPR

#NJDevils have placed Mattias Tedenby on non-roster waivers and activated Ryan Carter from injured reserve.

Former 1st rounder (24th overall pick) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

Scouting Report:

Assets: Has outstanding speed, propelled by a great first thrust. Highly creative, he also owns plenty of goal-scoring and playmaking upside thanks to brilliant hands, puck control and know-how.

Flaws: Is not big (5-10, 175 pounds) by National Hockey League standards, and can be guilty of playing too soft a game at times. Also needs to continue to work on his play in the defensive zone.

Career Potential: Speedy winger with upside.

anyone have a quick description of "non-roster waivers"?

It's like regular waivers, just that the team is committing to sending the player to the AHL once clearing where they could choose to keep the player with the team on regular waivers even after they clear. It gets them one day early to bring another player back on the roster (which they need to do with Ryan Carter coming back from injury).

Here's an excerpt from the PHT article:

“The only thing it means is it allows us to activate a player today,” Lamoriello said. “What the non-roster waivers means, is if an injured player becomes available prior to a roster spot being available you can make (a spot) available by putting it as a non-roster (move). And what that means is he would go to the minors if he clears waivers. (Tedenby) would go down because Carter is healthy.”

If we didn't have Schroeder, I'd be interested in a guy like Tedenby. They're similar enough players that I don't know if we'd need to bring him in just to risk losing Schroeder when he's ready to come back, but Tedenby did a little more offensively at the NHL level (22 points in 58 games in 2010/11) in his first season, just not much since.

I'd have to think someone will claim him though before he even gets to us.

I don't see the need for having both on the roster at one time, I agree. They're both small but at least Schroeder is very strong on his feet and responsible defensively. Tedenby probably has the skill edge, but not by much.

I was thinking it's actually ironic for a team like Buffalo to have just made a waiver claim which probably maxes out their 23-man roster and prevents them from claiming a skilled player that could help them. His output offensively has been quite bad this year though, so perhaps he does slide past a lot of teams on the waiver wire.

He gets steamrolled the first time we play a large team. Sorry but Schroeder is as small as I want to see this team get

Was thinking the same thing. Give me a 6+ ft, 200+ lb winger with not so much blazing speed but willing to hit hard and pitch in the odd goal. Those player are out there, right?

Cmon Chevy!

I'd love to see the Jets give this kid an opportunity. He has shown loads of offensive potential but has lost a lot of confidence playing in a Devils defensively oriented system that doesn't suit him. Maybe a new team will inject some energy into him.

The problem with Tedenby is that he needs to play a top 6 role and is very weak defensively no matter how much effort he puts into it.

First game I saw this kid(few yrs back) he was dynamite. Speedy & creative, with zest. Then he got lost in Devil's defensive-details..or was it the ubiquitous headshot? Anyways, agree a longshot team like Winnipeg should give it a whirl. Unlikely, but he might pull a Santorelli-turnaround. Definitely there's offensive-skill to be tapped into.

@NHLDevilsPR

#NJDevils have placed Mattias Tedenby on non-roster waivers and activated Ryan Carter from injured reserve.

Former 1st rounder (24th overall pick) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

Scouting Report:

Assets: Has outstanding speed, propelled by a great first thrust. Highly creative, he also owns plenty of goal-scoring and playmaking upside thanks to brilliant hands, puck control and know-how.

Flaws: Is not big (5-10, 175 pounds) by National Hockey League standards, and can be guilty of playing too soft a game at times. Also needs to continue to work on his play in the defensive zone.

Career Potential: Speedy winger with upside.

No thanks... we don't need to pick up every garbage player that gets waived. Now if there is another Stanton on waivers, that I wouldn't mind but not these players who have been in the league for a long time and don't have any potential or anything. Santorelli is probably just the exception to the rule.

Edmonton claims...solely to fit as many 1st rounders in their roster lolz

In all seriousness I see Nashville kicking the tires on him. Pair him up with Filip Forsberg when he is back could spark some offensive life for the Preds.

Edmonton...the only NHL team with the most 1st round busts.

Archived