The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Is it Hammer time in Sochi?

Herberts Vasiljevs

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Hammer+time+Sochi/9345837/story.html

After an abysmal start to the season, Hamhuis making team Canada doesn't look entirely out of the question anymore. I'm glad that he's been able to step his play lately and was able to play the type of game that should impress Yzerman in arguably the Canucks worst game of the season so far.

Hamhuis/Vlasic/Phaneuf is how it's looking for that final LD spot. For me, it comes down to Hamhuis and Vlasic, but it's a tough one. Don't underestimate Vlasic though. However, Hamhuis has been playing like the same old Hamhuis lately. He's starting to make his mark as one of the most underrated defensemen in the game today again.

Thoughts?

Phaneuf cant skate so he wont get in. Vlasic has been really good, but i think since Hamhuis has more experience on the international stage having won gold in Moscow in WC and he also won Bronze in Moscow in the WJC, so i think he will get the nod and be apart of the team.

Also he was selected to the 2010 46-player orientation camp.

Personally I say Hamhuis deserves to be on the team. He may just be the most underrated dman/player in the entire league. What do I think will happen? Probably won't make it and will be left off to 1 or 2 other players ahead of him according to Canadian management but if he does make it, good on him.

I absolutely do not get why Vlasic's name even comes up and Brent Seabrook's name doesn't! Seabrook and Keith should be a pairing. Why is Seabrook being left off after playing in 2010?

Need more solid big bodied d-men instead of all puck movers.

I think Subban will make the cut before Hamhuis

Canada might go with 4LD and 4RD. Im guessing: Weber, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Keith, Bouwmeester, Subban, Hamhuis, Vlasic.

That's five righties and only three lefties. Canada will more likely go with four and four, which means either Subban or Boyle doesn't make it, and either Staal or Hamhuis makes it as the fourth lefty.
-Pierre LeBrun

http://espn.go.com/n...-power-rankings

Bouwmeester is being piggy-backed by Pietrangelo et al onto that squad.

Over-rated.

Hammer is hands down a better defenseman.

Phaneuf doesn't belong in the conversation. Vlasic is a talented guy, but he's not in a class with Hammer, not yet anyhow. Seabrook is also on my roster if it's up to me.

Hammer should be in Socchi - and I think his chances are better given how astute Team Canada's leadership is with the likes of Yzerman and Babcock.

I would love to see Hammer play in Sochi, however our blue line is so stacked with such amazing defensemen it's going to be hard for him to squeeze in there. I hope he does make it (he deserves it) but I have a feeling Yzerman won't pick him

Archived