The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ranking our top prospects: The top 20

Bert Diesel

How would CDC rank our propsects?

Here's my list

1. Horvat (despite the average tournament; still looked like a very intelligent player and made smart plays; it was the rest of team Canada that looked disorganized)

2. Shinkaruk (the injury will set him back but explains his production; his skill level is still sick)

3. Corrado; looks confident in the NHL so far, smoothe skater.

4. Schroeder (I would still consider him a prospect with less than 40 games played, we don't really know how good he can be yet)

5. Gaunce (not a spectacular season so far but looks like a steady 2 way player.

6. Grenier (good speed, having a strong AHL campaign, needs to fill out more)

7.Rodin (having a strong season in quite a good league, hopefully we can get a bit stronger and come back to North America next season)

8. Jensen (not showing much to get excited but could move up to 4 or 5 if he starts progressing in the second half of the AHL season

9. Joacim Erikson

10. Ben Hutton (having a strong year in college hockey)

11. Darren Archibald; needs to show more offense but a strong, physical players, good positionally.

12. Cole Cassels (strong OHL season but still a bit of a longshot)

13. Jeremy Welsh (not much offensive upside)

14. Jordan Subban (size is a concern)

15. Dane Fox

16.Henrik Tommernes

17. Yann Sauve

18. Peter Andersson

19. Kellan Lain

20. Ludwig Blomstrand

Thoughts?

What don't we have enough of in the organization that woul improve our prospect pool?

This list is made in terms of potential for NHL success, not based on who is currently playing at the highest level.

Who cares? Any list is bad. Every year, the newer guys are ranked higher because people are more excited by the newly selected players. No one knows how any of them, not even pro scouts, know how they will translate into the Pros.

Your list is garbage, but so are all lists.

There are too many guys who put up numbers in juniors so junior players are either super overrated or underrated.

Concerned about Jensen, other than that our pool looks decent.

I'm not really, a lot of players would struggle on a brand new team like Utica. Kids probably 2-3 years away yet and will be called a bust the whole time by impatient fans.

I don't think it's that he's just not getting it, I think he just has the burden of trying to improve on a farm team that is currently still being built.

Why even try to make determinations about the potential success of players for conversations sake? You're completely correct, my list is a pointless exercise, and life is ultimately futile. Guess what, hockey orgainzations have internal competition and its helpful to compare players to one another in order to evaluate their likelyhood of success and trade value.

Why even try to make determinations about the potential success of players for conversations sake? You're completely correct, my list is a pointless exercise, and life is ultimately futile. Guess what, hockey orgainzations have internal competition and its helpful to compare players to one another in order to evaluate their likelyhood of success and trade value.

We could compare the players and evaluate every single prospect, but it would be a waste of time. No one knows or has the time to watch every prospect. Many of people are only thinking it by statistics, and not looking at the overall package of the player.

Grenier, maybe having good season, but does not have the explosiveness a Niklas Jensen has. Just because Kellan Lain is having a better season than Jensen, doesn't mean Lain will have a bigger role in the NHL.

Rodin wasn't successful in the AHL, but goes back to Sweden, playing in bigger rink and a less physical league. Does he really have what it takes to tough it out in the NHL?

If i had to make a list, it would be based on their potential impact on the NHL roster. Joseph Lebate has to be on your list. Jensen should still be a top 3, of course, unless Eddie Lack is considered a prospect.

I'm not really, a lot of players would struggle on a brand new team like Utica. Kids probably 2-3 years away yet and will be called a bust the whole time by impatient fans.

I don't think it's that he's just not getting it, I think he just has the burden of trying to improve on a farm team that is currently still being built.

1 goal in 25 games is a little more than struggling I'd say.

Archived