The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks need more grit as their not built for the playoffs

Outsiders

I have said it here before that the Canucks aren't built for the playoffs. They definitely need more grit. Nutless Gillis needs to pull the trigger and get us a big stay at home defenseman (Tinordi) type. He needs to get rid of Weise and Dalpe and get players that run the other teams goalie when Luongo get run. I hate to say it but I am really thinking that Sestito was a great signing. Why can't Gillis get us some more grit? We will be destroyed in the first round with the current team going up against LA ,ANA, SJS and STL. The team is too small and too soft. Hank And Dank get pushed around and the team does Frack all. You can't disagree cause its all facts.

I have said it here before that the Canucks aren't built for the playoffs. They definitely need more grit. Nutless Gillis needs to pull the trigger and get us a big stay at home defenseman (Tinordi) type. He needs to get rid of Weise and Dalpe and get players that run the other teams goalie when Luongo get run. I hate to say it but I am really thinking that Sestito was a great signing. Why can't Gillis get us some more grit? We will be destroyed in the first round with the current team going up against LA ,ANA, SJS and STL. The team is too small and too soft. Hank And Dank get pushed around and the team does Frack all. You can't disagree cause its all facts.

The one thing I will agree with is that the Canucks need a large, highly aggressive stay at home defenseman that will punish players who run Luongo. Ryan O' Byrne is playing in Europe and would be perfect. 6'4" 235 lbs. Laid out Chara before. If only Gillis had the vision.....

One thing I feel sad about is that Henrik and Daniel are no longer premier (top 5) players in the league. Obviously they are still great players and will be solid until they retire but if they weren't able to get it done 2 years ago, it is unlikely that they will get it done now. We do need reinforcements to arrive to get it done along with the Sedins. We need another player of Kesler's calibre (or better) to have a legitimate chance at cup...

This team needs to add Callaghan and Simmonds up front and a big beast Defensemen.Gillis will do nothing.

I disagree.. With Tortorella behind the helms IMO we've seen the team as a whole play a much more tougher physical team game. Certain players need a wake up call or 2 but i think we matched up okay tonight in the physical department. Not much can you do about the Sedins tho, they just can't seem to elevate their games when teams rough them up.. Maybe time for the Kassian - Sedins experiment again altho he is hardly deserving.

The problem with this team is they don't have a pure sniper who can change the game with a single shot. Kesler is the only one who comes close.

I disagree.. With Tortorella behind the helms IMO we've seen the team as a whole play a much more tougher physical team game. Certain players need a wake up call or 2 but i think we matched up okay tonight in the physical department. Not much can you do about the Sedins tho, they just can't seem to elevate their games when teams rough them up.. Maybe time for the Kassian - Sedins experiment again altho he is hardly deserving.

The problem with this team is they don't have a pure sniper who can change the game with a single shot. Kesler is the only one who comes close.

we were too small tonight, too perimeter, only Sestito showed up. we get shut down by bigger teams like the Kings.We need to add 2 gritty forwards to the top 6, Ryan Callaghan and Wayne Simmonds types.

Torts was a good move by the owners. Unfortunately he does not have the supporting cast. Tougher 4th line and a big mean defenseman and then you will really see Torts type of hockey. I would love to have more grit in the top six but I don't want to give up the farm. Someone light a fire under Kassian!

Kassian should be a beast in these types of games. And all too often he follows the lead of the twins.

I'm a huge fan of Hank and Dank, but they do play a soft game, and it seems like the team is starting to echo their personality. How many nights does it seem like Kes and Bieksa are the only passionate, emotionally charged players.

Tonight Sestito should have got the hat, or Lui! (If they award it after a loss)

We don't need grit. We don't need goalscorers. We need a skilled playmaking winger who can ACTUALLY compliment the talent we already have. I'm sorry but it is NOT okay to have players like Higgins, Santorelli, Booth, Hansen and Kassian shuffling around Kesler and the Sedin's. None of those players would even sniff the top six on any of the contenders in this league. And albeit most of them do have an above average shot they do not play the role we need to become a successful team. A playmaker would be a welcome addition to Kesler's wing and would be EXTREMELY helpful on the powerplay.

honestly with Garrison's built he should be a tougher dmen to play against, he needs that mean streak mentality, but no.. he wasn't nurtured that way. Tinordi hasn't been as tough as I hope he would've been. Hal Gill could've helped his development.

Grit isn't all there is to it... size is the real thing. Hansen has grit. Kesler has grit. Kassian has grit. Bieksa has grit. Weise has grit. Richardson has grit. Sestito has grit.

It's size and skill that we need. Someone like Purcell. Someone with skills & puck controlling skills is what we really need over a freaking tough stay at home defensemen... that's too one sided. all our dmen's are decent puck movers. Tinordi like you wanted, won't help. neither will a "sniper" help. Tell me if Vanek/Gaborik scores every other game or two. No.

They are slowly but surely getting bigger each year, or at least it seems that way. I support the idea of ditching Dalphe. He offers very little, and although he gets very little ice time, his spot could be much better filled by someone with size and ability to crash and bang.

There isn't a quick solution to this, can't just make 1 move and expect to outshove a team like LA. We will still be smaller and slower.

However......fixing the scoring issue is likely much easier. 1 move could vastly improve the offense. A single player adds not only his points, but every line is improved via the depth being pushed down. We don't have to deal with LA or SJ for 7 games if we can outscore them in 4.

Gotta play it like Chicago, we can't beat em physically, so get r done on the score board and get through it as quickly as possible without taking heavy injuries. Its not like we are getting blown out here, even a couple goals can be the difference between sweeping and swept.

We didn't lose because of grit. Our net presence and physical play was fine.

We lost because we couldn't convert our chances, and Garrison made a bonehead play that cost us the game.

Bury our chances and limit our mistakes. That's how we win. Not by outhitting the other team.

Archived