The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN - COL

Me_

VAN

Statsny

COL

Edler

I strongly believe that Paul Statsny is the extra the Canucks need. He's a UFA at season's end, and I like his bloodline. He'd re-sign no problem and with the Canucks having more than $7.000 MIL in the bank under the cap next year, such a feat is quite achievable.

The Avalanche gain a T4D who could benefit from playing top minutes in another environment. There is a very good chance that, if Edler were to be traded, it would be what he needed to get to the next level. But Statsny, with the winning attitude of his dad, extra power for that one elusive last goal during a game, that extra desire to win, is a Tortorella guy and would benefit greatly in playing in Vancouver.

At 28 years old, he would fit right in and would certainly contribute. He's the closest I have found as a potential, worthwhile player to acquire, who has been rumored on the trading block, and whose heart is not a question.

I agree that he would be a perfect compliment to the current team. Being a centerman he would provide the option of being able to play Kesler with the twins while still having a legitimate scoring threat on the 2nd line. Hiis ability to move the puck would help us generate offense not only on five on five but also on the power play. He would alleviate some of the pressure off of the Twins as well allowing them do their thing more efficiently.

The snag is that he is a UFA. Not only has Gillis stated that he is unwilling to trade for UFA's but also trading Edler who is a stellar defenseman and should hold alot of value in a trade scenario (even more so upon a return to his true form) for a UFA is way too risky. Regardless of how much cap room we will have at the end of the season there is always the chance he will test the market or we will have to overpay to keep him in a Canucks jersey (whereas Edler is at a bargain in his contract). If he was signed for a year or two longer I think he'd be perfect.

To draw off of what you're going for, I do think that it should be a legitimate offensive prescence at the 2nd line center position the Canucks should be targeting come the trade deadline. Not only will it cost less to obtain as far as assets go but also it allows the flexability of moving Kes around.

I agree that he would be a perfect compliment to the current team. Being a centerman he would provide the option of being able to play Kesler with the twins while still having a legitimate scoring threat on the 2nd line. Hiis ability to move the puck would help us generate offense not only on five on five but also on the power play. He would alleviate some of the pressure off of the Twins as well allowing them do their thing more efficiently.

The snag is that he is a UFA. Not only has Gillis stated that he is unwilling to trade for UFA's but also trading Edler who is a stellar defenseman and should hold alot of value in a trade scenario (even more so upon a return to his true form) for a UFA is way too risky. Regardless of how much cap room we will have at the end of the season there is always the chance he will test the market or we will have to overpay to keep him in a Canucks jersey (whereas Edler is at a bargain in his contract). If he was signed for a year or two longer I think he'd be perfect.

To draw off of what you're going for, I do think that it should be a legitimate offensive prescence at the 2nd line center position the Canucks should be targeting come the trade deadline. Not only will it cost less to obtain as far as assets go but also it allows the flexability of moving Kes around.

Very well said. I am very glad you agree that a top center force is priority if the Canucks want to compete with the best of the best. Carter was that extra part the Kings have and will always have, that gets away.

There would nee to be a significant conditional component to the deal. Also, we would need to address our defensive depth. We have survived without Edler, however if another D got injured, we'd be in quite a lot of trouble.

I'd be interested to see you re-structure your proposal to include defensive depth and conditional protection

There would nee to be a significant conditional component to the deal. Also, we would need to address our defensive depth. We have survived without Edler, however if another D got injured, we'd be in quite a lot of trouble.

I'd be interested to see you re-structure your proposal to include defensive depth and conditional protection

I would agree with this. The UFA status could make this trade be a terrible deal by June. I think if they added in a conditional 1st round pick in 2015, (depends on Stastny resigning) then it could be a good trade, because there is some security for the Canucks.

I think it's more likely though that the Avs move O'Reilly though.

I would do something like O'Reilly + Barrie and a conditional pick if O'Reilly doesn't resign.

I'd rather us make a move for O'reilly who is a RFA so at least we could have the rights to sign him

Those rights to sign him also come with a qualifying offer of ~$6.5M - still want him?

a package including Edler & (perhaps a 1st round pick) to Winnipeg for Kane would be great

I'm not sure how many times both Canucks fans and Winnipeg fans have to say they don't want Edler in a trade for Kane. Will never happen.

I'd rather trade edler for a guy like Brayden Schenn than Statsny. Schenn is young and is improving every year, Statsny on the other hand is nothing great. He's way overpaid and was terrible last year, plus there's on guarantee he stays here so why trade a top 4 d-man for a potential rental player? Statsny to me is another Stephen Weiss.

Archived