The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

P.K. Subban's Pesky Problem

Interesting and fairly controversial article in the Huffington Post on PK Subban, which alleges PK doesn't get more respect in the league because of his skin colour. Not sure I agree with the article (if racism was an issue why didn't it prevent him from winning the Norris) but it raises some interesting points. Also I can't believe Habs fans don 'black face' to "support him", who in their right mind would think that's a good idea.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/rachel-decoste/the-problem-with-pk-subban_b_4547389.html

i cant believe the guy who wins the norris and is an amazing skater and competitor will be ( according to the experts ) the 7th defencemen on team canada... experts have weber on the top pair on the right side and i think people give weber too much credit hes got a great shot....so does PK.....PK is a better passer and skater which is far more needed than webers physicality in which he doesnt have PK beat by much... and after weber on the right side they have pietrangelo and doughty.... over PK..... i just dont get it.

i cant believe the guy who wins the norris and is an amazing skater and competitor will be ( according to the experts ) the 7th defencemen on team canada... experts have weber on the top pair on the right side and i think people give weber too much credit hes got a great shot....so does PK.....PK is a better passer and skater which is far more needed than webers physicality in which he doesnt have PK beat by much... and after weber on the right side they have pietrangelo and doughty.... over PK..... i just dont get it.

PK get s a rep for not playing well defensively although from what I've seen of his play, he's just fine in the defensive end. He could suffer the name fate due to this rep as Yandle did. That being said I would take Weber, Pietrangelo and Keith over him but after that PK is arguably the next best Canadian Dman.

Just a way to attract viewers. Written by a software engineer. If you don't have anything of substance to say, make an allegation.

No doubt that players like PK have been the victim of racism over their lifetime. However, there is no evidence that this racism has ever crept into the decision for awards, Team Canada nominations. Author seemed to glean over the fact that he won the Norris....

What I don't get is how Pietrangelo gets on the team over Subban. What exactly does he have over Pk except for being a slightly fatter presence in front of the net?

the ability to be a shutdown defenceman while putting up excellent numbers.

And what's the deal with all the negative coverage of him? Just about every night on SportsCentre / Connected they point out some bad penalty he took or mention how he's on the bubble to make the Olympic team. Has anyone else noticed this? Are these TV companies playing at something here for ratings?

Archived