The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Possible Match Postponement/Empty Arena Game- Buffalo vs Carolina Tonight

Visp

Weather permitting, the Buffalo Sabres (12-26-8) and Carolina Hurricanes (18-16-9) will play at First Niagara Center in Buffalo. As the first blizzard in over twenty years settles over Buffalo, both teams stand in town, awaiting word on whether they’ll play on Tuesday night or a future night. Either way, the stakes are the same in the first of three meetings between the Sabres and Hurricanes this season.

Mike Harrington‏@BNHarrington1h

With Hurricanes in town and close by, playing in empty arena and compensating fans may be an option.

#Sabres/NHL have real issue. Major safety concern 4 players/workers (& media!) to get to FNC. But virtually impossible to reschedule. (1/2)

If they postpone -- as they should -- could need to move around more than one game on sked. And they loathe that. #sabres

John Vogl‏@BuffNewsVogl1h

With Hurricanes in Buffalo, my guess is they play tonight. Looked at teams' schedules and not a single date that works for a reschedule.

@BuffaloSabres: We will make a final decision about tonight’s game vs. Carolina Hurricanes by mid-afternoon. #Sabres

Blizzard Warning in Western New York

Active for next 16 hoursLocations: Genesee; Northern Erie; Southern ... Show moreGenesee; Northern Erie; Southern Erie; Wyoming

Posted 37 minutes ago – National Weather Service

Wind Chill Warning now in effect until 4 am EST Wednesday.

Blizzard Warning remains in effect until 6 am EST Wednesday.

• Locations: Erie County, Genesee and Wyoming counties. Especially along a line from Buffalo to Batavia and points southward.
  • Timing: through late tonight.
  • Hazards: Heavy snow and blowing snow. Dangerous cold wind chills.
  • Snow accumulations: 7 to 14 inches today, and 3 to 6 inches tonight, leading to storm totals of more than 3 feet in the most persistent Lake snows.
  • Winds: southwest 20 to 30 mph. Frequent gusts to 40 mph.
  • Visibilities: as low as a quarter mile at times.
  • Wind Chill values: as low as 25 below.
  • Impacts: travel conditions will be extremely difficult to near impossible through tonight with snow covered roads and frequent Whiteout conditions due to heavy lake effect snow along with considerable blowing and drifting snow. Roadways may become impassable for a period of time. Numerous roadways are or will be closed through today. Dangerously cold wind chills will pose a risk for frost bite and hypothermia for anyone outside for even very short periods of time. This is a Life- threatening cold for those not in shelter.

What wimps we have turned in to. Standard weather back in the '50's & '60's. We played outdoor hockey at minus - 15F!

I don't know man. I was driving through upstate New York on Thursday when that first storm came in and it was some of the worst driving I've seen in ten years or so, whiteout conditions with the ditch lined on both sized with cars. Since then the temp shot back up for one day, then plummeted even lower last night, and now there's fresh snow coming down on top. I don't even want to imagine what it would be like trying to move around out there today.

Looks like the game has officially been postponed

Wow must be bad over there

Is it sad that I want it to snow like that here....just once!

NEW YORK / TORONTO -- Tonight's game between the Buffalo Sabres and Carolina Hurricanes at First Niagara Center, NHL Game No. 647, has been postponed due to the hazardous weather conditions in the Buffalo area.

A make-up date will be announced as soon as it can be confirmed.

Yup, postponed

Here's a question: If they had to play in an empty arena, how would the 'Canes know the difference?

carolina average attendance for 2013/14: 15355, 82.2% of capacity. good for 23rd in the league.

Well its cancelled.. I feel bad for all 6 Buffalo fans..

buffalo average attendance for 2013/14: 18475 (435 fewer than vancouver), 96.9% of capacity, good for 10th in the league.

First blizzard in over 20 years in Buffalo?

Depends on your definition of a blizzard. I live here and if it wasn't for the wind and the thermometer being in the negative, I wouldn't think it was that bad. It's not like we're getting clobbered with massive amounts of snow.

Well its cancelled.. I feel bad for all 6 Buffalo fans..

Way to be ignorant! I posted on this very subject last month. Buffalo has always been in the Top 12 in attendance in the league. I use the number 12 because even when John Rigas got busted for embezzlement and the NHL took over the team, the Sabres were still in 12th place for attendance. In almost every year since 1970, Buffalo ranks in the Top 10.

Archived