The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Everything Bitcoin Thread

8 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

what platform do you use to invest in crypto? I'm looking to get into it as part of my portfolio but need to learn more about the security and safety of it. What's your recommendation?

Check XBT it tracks Bitcoin. H/L $750/188. Unreal but I am sticking with gold.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

what platform do you use to invest in crypto? I'm looking to get into it as part of my portfolio but need to learn more about the security and safety of it. What's your recommendation?

I don't really have one.  I've been holding for the past few years.  I invested back in 2014. Was using Carvirtex.  That's how I first bought my Bitcoins and Litecoins.  I was also mining Bitcoin back then.  They went under some years back if I remember correctly. Also used Quadriga before they ripped everyone off.

Everything I currently have is stored in a cold wallet. 

1 minute ago, Grapefruits said:

I don't really have one.  I've been holding for the past few years.  I invested back in 2014. Was using Carvirtex.  That's how I first bought my Bitcoins and Litecoins.  I was also mining Bitcoin back then.  They went under some years back if I remember correctly. Also used Quadriga before they ripped everyone off.

Everything I currently have is stored in a cold wallet. 

Is the cold wallet a sort of hard drive? A physical piece of equipment?

Unlike the folks in this group, I don't know anything about bitcoin.  But I came across an article from Forbes and thought it might interest some here.  An excerpt is pasted below.

Is it lunacy or do you think the author may be right?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billybambrough/2020/11/19/leaked-citibank-report-reveals-bitcoin-could-rocket-to-300000-price-by-end-of-2021/?sh=1279cb1d6eab

Leaked Citibank Report Reveals Bitcoin Could Rocket To $300,000 Price By End Of 2021

Billy BambroughContributor
I write about how bitcoin, crypto and blockchain can change the world.

The bitcoin price has this week shot past $18,000 per bitcoin, causing jubilation among long-suffering bitcoin supporters and causing many to recall bitcoin's late 2017 bubble—though it's happening without 2017's mainstream bitcoin mania.

Now, a leaked report from Wall Street giant Citibank has revealed a senior analyst thinks bitcoin could potentially hit a high of $318,000 by December 2021, calling it "21st century gold."

MORE FROM FORBES

7 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

@UnkNuk There are a few of those predictions around... we will have to see. I think before it gets to multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars per coin it has to be easier for the retailer investor to access. That said, I could see that being a 10 years outcome

Check the PayPal announcement.

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2020 at 5:33 PM, I.Am.Ironman said:

There is GBTC (grayscale bitcoin trust) as well

So basically GBTC has Bitcoins and you are buying into their bitcoin collection instead of trying to figure out the whole wallet stuff?  I tried so hard years ago to buy BTC but got so confused with everything I gave up.

5 minutes ago, Russ said:

So basically GBTC has Bitcoins and you are buying into their bitcoin collection instead of trying to figure out the whole wallet stuff?  I tried so hard years ago to buy BTC but got so confused with everything I gave up.

I did the same... certainly wish I persevered now. And to answer your question, yes. The fund buys bitcoin then you buy a portion (shares) of the fund. You pay a bit of a premium (share cost vs cost of btc) but theoretically you get that premium back when you sell. However, I tried to buy the ETF yesterday and CIBC doesn't let me buy it.. says it's a provincial thing? "not permitted to purchase from my province". Don't know what that's about. I'm going to have to buy them directly I think.

4 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I did the same... certainly wish I persevered now. And to answer your question, yes. The fund buys bitcoin then you buy a portion (shares) of the fund. You pay a bit of a premium (share cost vs cost of btc) but theoretically you get that premium back when you sell. However, I tried to buy the ETF yesterday and CIBC doesn't let me buy it.. says it's a provincial thing? "not permitted to purchase from my province". Don't know what that's about. I'm going to have to buy them directly I think.

I just was so confused the backing of bitcoin, how to get wallets to work, etc. I actually read a ton about it years ago before the last crash happened as I looked into it but just couldn't get it figured out where I felt comfortable. 

Will have to see if RBC lets me do it tomorrow, got a few bucks to throw at something and unsure what to do (TSLA? BTC or GBTC? PLTR? Not sure yet whats the best long term right now)

1 minute ago, Russ said:

I just was so confused the backing of bitcoin, how to get wallets to work, etc. I actually read a ton about it years ago before the last crash happened as I looked into it but just couldn't get it figured out where I felt comfortable. 

Will have to see if RBC lets me do it tomorrow, got a few bucks to throw at something and unsure what to do (TSLA? BTC or GBTC? PLTR? Not sure yet whats the best long term right now)

Over the next few months I'm going to work to make crypto 5% of my portfolio. I'm bullish on Tesla and will ride the inevitable volatility there. I'm in PLTR as well. In a few months I hope to have some BTC to my name as well.

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bitcoin hitting another all time high.

I really wish I would have paid more attention a few years before 2014 when I first heard about Bitcoin. Oh well. I still have 10 of the original miners I started mining with.

Hopefully they'll be worth something someday. Though I'm sure there are millions of them out there.

On 11/24/2020 at 9:07 PM, I.Am.Ironman said:

Over the next few months I'm going to work to make crypto 5% of my portfolio. I'm bullish on Tesla and will ride the inevitable volatility there. I'm in PLTR as well. In a few months I hope to have some BTC to my name as well.

I looked at the crypto ETF last month and decided to stick with gold. Interesting that Visa is now allowing payment from Bitcoin accounts using their card. I likely relook at V as a indirect exposure. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Trading at an all time high of $66,000 CAD. Tomorrow if the first trading day of Canada's first Bitcoin ETF (BTCC).

This is huge for retail as the barriers to entry was high for a lot of investors. (Figuring out which exchange to use, cold vs hot storage, etc). A bitcoin ETF makes things much more simple and accessible and allows investors to park this asset into their TFSA's.

Edited by themcdeal