The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] deadline - 2014/2015 canucks

I will start off by saying I do not believe this is vancouvers year to win the cup, we will make the playoffs but I can't see going past the first round. By saying this I believe we should sell players at the deadline.

Higgins and Hansen would be my two players to trade out. Both have low cap hits, and we be great additions to a team going all in.

Each should be able to fetch us a c+/b prospect and a pick ranging from 2-4th round (2014 draft)

Call up Greenier and Archibald to fill their roster spots.

In the off season resign Tanev 2.5x3 years, Santorelli 1.75x1 year, Kassian1.25x2 years, Weber 750x2 years

UFA sign Callahan 5.25-5.5x5 years, Bolland 3.5-3.75x3 years

Buy out booth

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Santorelli Kesler Callahan

Horvat/Bolland Bolland/Horvat Burrows

Archibald Richardson Sestito

Greenier Dalpe/Welsh

Hanhuis Tanev

Edler Garrison

Stanton Bieksa

Weber Corrado

Lou

Lack

Leaves us with about 2.5m cap for +/- on contract dollar amounts

Higgins is limited NTC can supply a list of desired teams and a list of teams he will not go to

Hansen does not have an NTC

Ah yes my bad, I thought he had got a NTC.

I just don't think these are guys we'll get a lot for, Hansen is a guy who is more valuable to the Canucks than he is to other teams

You think there is any chance Bolland would come to Vancouver. He's staying int Toronto, and they will give him the dough. We need a puck moving defenceman more than a top 6 forward in our system. Trading players with NTC's would set a horrible precident for potential free agents. All around bad ideas. Callaghan is likely to resign with the Rangers as well.

I just don't think these are guys we'll get a lot for, Hansen is a guy who is more valuable to the Canucks than he is to other teams

Certainly I wouldn't trade them for a C+/B prospect and a pick from the 2nd-4th round. How does that help us now? And the chances are low that turns into anything that could help us in future.

Certainly I wouldn't trade them for a C+/B prospect and a pick from the 2nd-4th round. How does that help us now? And the chances are low that turns into anything that could help us in future.

It's more about a team with a surplus looking to add to a deficiency. Vancouver has too many 3rd line players, but a complete lack of farm depth. Aside from that there is no room to bring guys like, Horvat, Gaunce. Shinkaruk, and Jensen into the line up. and with the core of the team being locked up in NTC's the best move is to make changes around them and start building up the new younger core.

If Santorelli continues on pace and cracks 50 I highly doubt he signs that contract.

Also I wouldn't trade either of those guys unless it makes us better. Putting grenier in the lineup and trading Higgins for another grenier doesn't make us better.

I agree that we may not be in contention this year but I don't feel we're that far off. If I was to make a move similar to yours it would be to put a roster player in. I'm not about to open a roster spot and hope shinkaruk can fill it. I would look at trading say Hansen and shinkaruk or another prospect for a good young player with a decent ceiling. Whether that can be done right now, I dunno, but banking on outbidding everyone for a top ufa isn't very smart. If we start trading great value guys just to put prospects in and sign overpriced ufas, were gonna be in the basement real fast.

It's more about a team with a surplus looking to add to a deficiency. Vancouver has too many 3rd line players, but a complete lack of farm depth. Aside from that there is no room to bring guys like, Horvat, Gaunce. Shinkaruk, and Jensen into the line up. and with the core of the team being locked up in NTC's the best move is to make changes around them and start building up the new younger core.

If we aren't replacing them in the roster with something better then you aren't fixing a deficiency but rather creating one. That might mean improving one roster spot at the expense of another rather than have two good roster players, but it certainly doesn't mean downgrading two roster spots to get some marginal prospects and picks.

Also I wouldn't trade either of those guys unless it makes us better. Putting grenier in the lineup and trading Higgins for another grenier doesn't make us better.

Or I could have said it like this. One Grenier (plus another in the system) doesn't equal one Higgins when looking at the NHL roster.

If we aren't replacing them in the roster with something better then you aren't fixing a deficiency but rather creating one. That might mean improving one roster spot at the expense of another rather than have two good roster players, but it certainly doesn't mean downgrading two roster spots to get some marginal prospects and picks.

Or I could have said it like this. One Grenier (plus another in the system) doesn't equal one Higgins when looking at the NHL roster.

Exactly, both guys are on great contracts so flogging them off to open space would be stupid. They would be a valuable roster player piece in a trade if one comes along. Like that bogus evander Kane rumour tonight, that's the kinda deal we look at. Something for a top youngster

Archived