The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our closing window...

icycold

After reading a thread that someone brought up about Bo Horvat possibly playing with the twins, one poster said by the time Bo gets to play here the twins would be retired. Ok so maybe it was a bit over the top BUT that brought to my mind the subject that has been brought up quite a bit over the last year or so that actually has me laughing on one hand but making me ask the question "are these people on crack?" on the other hand that's about our closing window of opportunity.

I could address this in 2 ways, either in sarcastic dripping sarcasm (hard to resisit) or plain realistic thinking making a real point that will hopefully put this subject to a end for the time being so i chose the latter.

here goes:

Our oldest players are the twins at 33 years old and Luo at 34. All of the players on our team like any other team are professional athlete's who train their hard and do diets (for the most part) to be able to do the sport they do for years.

Our window of opportunity IS not closing! Here is the proof, all these players are minimum 7 years above where the twins are now at 33 and the list goes higher, Our "core" is fine and not even close to where we need to start worrying or pressing the panic button here in vancouver. Relax ok if your one of those people who are so concerned at the age of our core. It simply isn't true! Our core is here for quite awhile yet!

*side note* I can understand how some people just re-state what some hockey "analyst* or *sports writer* has said but clearly that doesn't make them right because they have a title. Don't be afraid to think for yourself, even if someone critizes you it's ok because at least you have the guts to say what YOU think not what someone else thinks! ;)

People that say our window is closing and say our top players are aging are so dumbfounded - it's common sense, no need to say the obvious. They say the Sedin's and Luongo are getting older, ...so what? So is every other player and human being; no one is getting younger. And as for the window thing, I find it funny because the window is always there. Unexpected things happen and next thing you know a team that wasn't penciled to make it let's take Phoenix for example makes the western conference finals...windows will always be open and even when they're not another one will open up.

/end rant.

People that say our window is closing and say our top players are aging are so dumbfounded - it's common sense, no need to say the obvious. They say the Sedin's and Luongo are getting older, ...so what? So is every other player and human being; no one is getting younger. And as for the window thing, I find it funny because the window is always there. Unexpected things happen and next thing you know a team that wasn't penciled to make it let's take Phoenix for example makes the western conference finals...windows will always be open and even when they're not another one will open up.

/end rant.

Well, when one reads what i read about Bo not being able to play with the Sedins simply because of the "age" factor and nothing else it certainly makes me think, why on earth are people still on about it? It's like kicking a dead horse over an over and over and over and over... maybe stating the obvious will help them ponder and go "hey maybe i'm wrong and i can stop being concerned over it" and stop making stupid comments that throw off the original topic.

After reading a thread that someone brought up about Bo Horvat possibly playing with the twins, one poster said by the time Bo gets to play here the twins would be retired. Ok so maybe it was a bit over the top BUT that brought to my mind the subject that has been brought up quite a bit over the last year or so that actually has me laughing on one hand but making me ask the question "are these people on crack?" on the other hand that's about our closing window of opportunity.

I could address this in 2 ways, either in sarcastic dripping sarcasm (hard to resisit) or plain realistic thinking making a real point that will hopefully put this subject to a end for the time being so i chose the latter.

here goes:

Our oldest players are the twins at 33 years old and Luo at 34. All of the players on our team like any other team are professional athlete's who train their hard and do diets (for the most part) to be able to do the sport they do for years.

Our window of opportunity IS not closing! Here is the proof, all these players are minimum 7 years above where the twins are now at 33 and the list goes higher, Our "core" is fine and not even close to where we need to start worrying or pressing the panic button here in vancouver. Relax ok if your one of those people who are so concerned at the age of our core. It simply isn't true! Our core is here for quite awhile yet!

*side note* I can understand how some people just re-state what some hockey "analyst* or *sports writer* has said but clearly that doesn't make them right because they have a title. Don't be afraid to think for yourself, even if someone critizes you it's ok because at least you have the guts to say what YOU think not what someone else thinks! ;)

I dunno bout that, I think you're wrong.

I think when you associated the closing window with this team its more refering to the closing window with the current core of top guys. I don't think we'll win a cup with the Sedins as your primary 1st line players.. not ruling it out with them in a secondary role but we'd really have to see an astonishing breakout for our young guys or some astute moves made by MG.

Sedins are not even really on the decline yet still just under a PPG Kesler has 10 less points as the next highest...do they need to have 100 points every year?even 90?if at years end they end with 70+ still a top line point total still leading our offence...We need secondary scoring more then we need to panic about the twins not scoring like they were in 10/11

Taking a few old players from a list is one thing, what about the entire team's average age? I note that most of those old guys were exceptional players.Perhaps a list of the oldest players to win the cup in a top role would be more appropriate?

There is a difference between making the playoffs, thus having a shot at cup, and being a true contender.

the experience and skill of top guys can definitly help them out as they age but its also easy to get by as and older player on a good line of 2 younger guys all you gotta do is make sure you dont get caught out on a long shift and play smart....... none of those players on that list played with a guy the same age as themselves in their later years,......where the sedins will be.

I dont care if Luongo and the twins are 53 or 23, they are clearly not the same players they were a couple of years ago.

Its called aging. Guys like Selanne and Gordie Howe and Chelios can do it.............and for each one that does there are 99 who cant.

Most cant play past 30 let alone 35. Sedins and Lui are probably hall of famers so I suspect them being useful until they are 35 to 38 , but they cannot carry a team to a stanley cup anymore.

However, they are still good players and if we just add a piece or two we could compete for it this year.

F*ck you for quoting the long OP and writing a sentence proving zero substance, your argument against it is non-existant. This is an example of looking to increase your post count without adding anythin to the conversation. Please delete your account

F*ck you for quoting the long OP and writing a sentence proving zero substance, your argument against it is non-existant. This is an example of looking to increase your post count without adding anythin to the conversation. Please delete your account

Due to their playing style(& being paired) the twins case will be unique/exceptional. Their play doesn't depend upon sheer speed; but the cycling with endurance will get harder as they age. I wonder if they'll do less of that in future(eg:save it for the 3rd), to adapt/adjust to getting older?

I think the stronger divison makes a case that will force the Canucks to either improve vastly, or become the Flames/Coilers for a few seasons. I mean it's only the first season and we've seen both the terrible and great Canucks variation in games,

Archived