The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Two Minutes...

Sixteen W's

At least this supports people saying the Canucks are just a tier below the elite teams. They're not getting blown out, but at this point I'm expecting an exit similar to last year with the Sharks. Relatively close games, but it's the other team getting the crucial goals.

There's still an incredible lack of consistency within players, and the team as a whole, especially with the top players.

Then again, maybe the team gets into a positive streak at the right time and storms to the Stanley Cup. I DON'T KNOW.

I guess AV wasn't that bad of a coach.

Could use a bit of that "defend the 0-0 tie" with the lead late in the game, heh.

If I remember correctly, the Canucks were virtually unbeatable with a lead a few years ago.

Anyhow, don't get your arses in a knot, Torts-lovers - I'm just blowing smoke.

There is no grand fault here. Teams are using their horseshoes up. The Canucks are saving theirs.

We saw this earlier in the season with snakebitten bad puck luck; that turned around.

The same will happen with these third period anomalies.

Said it before and will say it again, this team needs a new core to even come close to winning a cup. Our current corr just can't handle it and choke under pressure when it matters the most. Core including the Sedins, Luongo, Burrows, Bieksa, Edler and Hamhuis. Need a change and some injection of talented youth in this franchise

It's hard to win games without your #1 center close to 100%

I havn't seen Henrik shoot and I cringe whenever he hits the ice, just hoping his injury doesn't get worse.

I am guessing he's waiting until after the olympics. Then probably will have surgery.

Adversity can build character but doesn't always build character. Too much Adversity at the wrong time or seemingly neverending adversity without any success can break people.

I think it's a chemistry issue to be honest, and it starts with the leaders on the team and the core. Im not saying they are bad or anything, it's just they don't mix with each other to create something much stronger. This is why they call it chemistry, some players or teams just click like that and the Canucks don't.

Their strategys on the ice are good enough, but the passion, intensity, urgency, and refusal to lose just isn't there. This can be built by bringing in intense players, and deep team bonding That comes from sacrificing for each other, going thru hard times together, having your teammates stick up for you etc.

This group has been together a long time and they just don't care about each other in my opinion. You can see it when nobody sticks up for the twins or luongo. You could see it when Kesler called out bobby Lou going into o.t. During the Olympic gold medal game saying he was going to choke. You could see it when Cody hodgson got traded and looked happy to be getting out rather than sad because he would miss his crew who cared about him and who he cared about in return.

Team win Stanley cups, not a handful of individuals playing for themselves.

Anyone else get the feeling with names like Horvat and Shinkaruk we'd just be beast? Without even knowing who they were, you could hear their names and they just scream elite. Could use them right now.

They could have names like Stumpy and Porkface for all I care, as long as they are playing some good hockey.

And I guess I'm one of the people in the minority that is happy that the club's prospects are getting time playing crucial minutes in their respective leagues. Let's just hope Shinkaruk has a full recovery from his injury as it is looking like the Canucks will need his scoring touch when he is ready to make the jump to the big team.

Anyone else get the feeling with names like Horvat and Shinkaruk we'd just be beast? Without even knowing who they were, you could hear their names and they just scream elite. Could use them right now.

Hunter Shinkaruk sounds like a 6'3 225 lb Tim hunter nosed, tough as nails, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, power forward who will fearlessly crash the net and can score some goals. A good Ukrainian-Canadian small town farm boy from some -30 in the winter town.

Unfortunately he is another undersized forward to go along with the sedins and our soft defence group

At least this supports people saying the Canucks are just a tier below the elite teams. They're not getting blown out, but at this point I'm expecting an exit similar to last year with the Sharks. Relatively close games, but it's the other team getting the crucial goals.

There's still an incredible lack of consistency within players, and the team as a whole, especially with the top players.

Then again, maybe the team gets into a positive streak at the right time and storms to the Stanley Cup. I DON'T KNOW.

There's consistency in blowing third period leads extremely late, lackluster showing, not playing a full 60 minutes, and gaffs that they teach you at age 8 not to make, like putting the puck up the middle of the ice when trying to clear, defensive zone coverage as a centerman.

Of course it's different at the NHL level I'd presume but damn, I see these flaws and I can't help but think I learned these things so young in hockey.

Said it before and will say it again, this team needs a new core to even come close to winning a cup. Our current corr just can't handle it and choke under pressure when it matters the most. Core including the Sedins, Luongo, Burrows, Bieksa, Edler and Hamhuis. Need a change and some injection of talented youth in this franchise

1. I don't think you can trade away your core and expect to be competitive in the near futur (i.e. Flyers).

2. But you can certainly trade a few of them like the Sharks did with Murray, Clowe, Galiardi, Heatley. After trading Clowe and Murray they got better and it opened up a spot for Hertl this year and they got good picks with them.

3. With that said this is what needs to happen for the Canucks from now to the deadline. Higgins, Hansen, Tanev, Bieksa, Edler, Santorelli, Richardson, Booth are all expendable/replaceable players. They could be helpful for playoffs team and they will pay more than their fair market value. (Not saying trade them all, but certainly 2 or 3, open up roster spots for Horvat, Shink, Jensen and/or Gaunce).

It's hard to win games without your #1 center close to 100%

I havn't seen Henrik shoot and I cringe whenever he hits the ice, just hoping his injury doesn't get worse.

I am guessing he's waiting until after the olympics. Then probably will have surgery.

This. A ruptured testicle would make anyone and their brother wince.

so after tonight's loss, I snapped... and the queston of "HOW MANY FRACKING TIMES DO WE HAVE TO DO THIS BEFORE WE FINALLY LEARN?!?!" finally got to me.. so I thought to myself.. why do I have to wonder when I can just do my own research?

and being the geek that I am... currently living in a place with nothing better to do (outside of Canada)... I compiled a list of all the games which it was such a roller coaster, or we collapsed so bad so everyone can see and yell and vent and let out some steam

2013/10/03 - Lost 1-4 Sharks.....gave up 2 goals within 1:18 span in third period and lost all chances of comeback

2013/10/06 - Won 5-4 OT Flames... Gave up tying goal at 19:41 before winning it in OT

2013/10/19 - Lost 3-4 SO Penguins... gave up tying goal 1:52 after taking lead in first, gave up tying goal :22 after taking lead in third again

2013/10/22 - Won 5-4 OT Islanders... Gave up tying goal at 18:48 before winning it in OT

(4 games in October.... 2-1-1)

2013/11/07 - Won 4-2 Sharks... gave up tying goal 1:20 after taking lead in second, before eventually scoring twice more to win it

2013/11/09 - Lost 1-5 Kings.... gave up 3 goals in span of 2:33, gave up the first of these 3 only 1:18 after we scored our first goal

2013/11/14 - Lost 1-2 OT Sharks... gave up tying at 18:55 of third, lost in OT

2013/11/23 - Lost 1-2 Blackhawks... gave up 2 goals in 9 freaking seconds in third period

2013/11/25 - Lost 2-3 OT Kings... gave up tying goal at 17:06 ... not really within 2 minutes but still a late goal.. before eventually losing in OT

(5 games in November..... 1-2-2)

2013/12/01 - Won 3-2 Hurricanes.... gave up 2 goals in 10 seconds in second period.. then scored 27 seconds after they tied the game

2013/12/03 - Won 3-1 Predators... Gave up tying goal only 30 seconds after taking lead, eventually won tho

2013/12/06 - Won 3-2 Coyotes..... gave up 2 goals in 2:22 in third period, gave them a point when we were trying to catch them

2013/12/08 - Won 3-1 Avalanche..... gave up a goal with only 8 seconds left in the game to lose the shut out... we all blamed shortie for this

2013/12/19 - Lose 1-4 Stars..... gave up 2 within 15 seconds in first period.. never recovered

2013/12/30 - Lost 3-4 SO Flyers..... gave up tying goal with 47 seconds left to go, lost in SO

(6 games in December.... 4-1-1)

2014/01/01 - Lost 1-4 Lightning..... gave up 2 goals within 20 seconds in second.. then gave up the lead 3:56 after we finally scored our goal to gain some momentum

2014/01/05 - Lost 3-4 OT Ducks... gave up tying goal at 18:33 of third.. then gave up winner with 1 second to go

2014/01/07 - Lost 4-5 SO Penguins.... gave up 2 goals within 16 seconds and let them tie the game, before losing it in SO

(3 games in January so far.... 0-1-2)

total record: 7-5-6)

SO there you have it guys and girls! I didn't even know the stats were this alarming until I made this list..... and here are some observations...

1) if this is a trend, it means we will have 4 more games of this caliber in January (oh dear mother fracking god) so if you have a weak heart... stay away from Canuck hockey!

2) the good: we actually have a record above .500 in these collapses!!! WOW!!!! although this is inflated by our awesome December 4-1-1... however, without it... we are 3-4-5.. which is not so appealing

2.1) ALSO the good: we COULD'VE beaten Pens 2x, Sharks 1x, Ducks 1x, Blackhawks 1x, Kings 1x... so we COULD actually compete with these teams... not yet at a level that we can beat them consistently or anything, but at least we're not getting ran over by them either.... do you know what this means? it means we are not as bad a team as some our CDC members make us out to be

3) the bad: I counted 6 blown leads late in game.. all of which ended in our OT/SO losses... which means we could've had 6 more points had we at least been able to hang on, and with those 6 points, we'll have 61 points, which is ONE MORE POINT THAN THE SHARKS!!

4) the ugly: this list... and the fact that we've had 3+4+5+6 = 18 games that we had collapses... 18 out of 45 is FORTY PERCENT OF THE GAMES WE'VE PLAYED SO FAR!!!

well I don't know about you, I feel slightly better after looking at this list... especially after realizing points 2 and 2.1... soooooo take it for what it's worth, have a look at it, I hope it helps... and I certainly hope this list will not be expanding!

ps. like I said, I snapped, so please excuse my childish way of writing some of the sentences above

Wow. I as well wanted to see this information actually gathered and presented, but I really didn't think it would be that bad.

It really is a serious problem. I've never seen anything quite like this. I guess you can't even say "we're just going through a rough patch" because it's been happening since the start of the season.

Thanks for putting that together

I think it's important to keep in mind that all teams who are behind will apply tons of pressure and that in the last minute or two of play they're usually playing with a man advantage because they've pulled the goaltender. Doesn't excuse the fact that we HAVE to play harder to hold a lead and, as Torts said, it's a mindset that has to change and you play to win, not to not lose. So that's been a problem for awhile...trying to hold a lead vs playing the way that got you the lead.

But, in all, I'd bet many teams have similar stats in a 1 or 2 goal game where the other team comes storming back....it's how this game goes. We obviously are experiencing this far too often but I have faith that Torts will reel it in...he's on it. Now the guys have to buy in and hear what he's saying relating to this issue. Go for the jugular, don't hold your hands over your face and hope you don't get hit.

Good job on compiling that data though...pretty hard to argue with it all laid out there for sure.

I think it's important to keep in mind that all teams who are behind will apply tons of pressure and that in the last minute or two of play they're usually playing with a man advantage because they've pulled the goaltender. Doesn't excuse the fact that we HAVE to play harder to hold a lead and, as Torts said, it's a mindset that has to change and you play to win, not to not lose. So that's been a problem for awhile...trying to hold a lead vs playing the way that got you the lead.

But, in all, I'd bet many teams have similar stats in a 1 or 2 goal game where the other team comes storming back....it's how this game goes. We obviously are experiencing this far too often but I have faith that Torts will reel it in...he's on it. Now the guys have to buy in and hear what he's saying relating to this issue. Go for the jugular, don't hold your hands over your face and hope you don't get hurt.

Agree with you, but this is so much more than just giving up tying goals last minute, it's also about giving up goals consecutively, especially right after we scored.. and about the fact that we can't stop the bleeding fast enough (allowing another goal right after first one)

as mentioned, this kind of collapse has happened in 40% of our games so far... with only 37 games left, if we don't fix this kind of mistake, then it will be certain that we will be one and done again

Archived