The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who has the best contract in the NHL?

Simple question: based on production, results, and what the player brings to the table, comparing it to their contract, who do you think has the best contract in hockey - the best bang for their buck?

I personally believe it's John Tavares. Guy is a stud, just a beauty and has a very reasonable contract. Signed for 5 more years at $5.5 million per and looking at the contracts being handed out today, that's just unbelievable really. Guys like Clarkson are getting paid the same as him and even top players like Malkin are getting essentially double his salary at $9+ million per. Just insane really considering Tavares has now become a top 5, possibly even top 3, player in the league and his bang for buck is really just a massive bargain!

...who do you think has the best contract/salary in hockey in comparison to the production they bring to the table?

If the formula is Production/salary then I'll go with Santorelli. As it turns out Capgeek has already crunched the numbers for us: http://www.capgeek.com/bargain-hunter/

I didn't know Nick Bonino was doing that good this season.

If we're talking about a player with a reasonable contract to build a team around, I have to go with Giroux and his very reasonable current contract of 3.75m.

If the formula is Production/salary then I'll go with Santorelli. As it turns out Capgeek has already crunched the numbers for us: http://www.capgeek.com/bargain-hunter/

I didn't know Nick Bonino was doing that good this season.

If we're talking about a player with a reasonable contract to build a team around, I have to go with Giroux and his very reasonable current contract of 3.75m.

Giroux's new contract is kicking in next year at like $8+ so I wouldn't call that a bargain, though he is an excellent player.

Burrows ?

His previous contract yes, not at 4.5M

I agree with Tavares....specially with Hall, Eberle and probably RNH soon at all 6M. Tavares > Hall, Eberle and RNH

- Sedin 6.1M deal was also really good for the past 3-4 years.

- Hossa 5.2M

- Keith 5.5 Until 2023

- Moulson too at 3M+ but that will change this summer, will be overpaid.

It is Tavares without a doubt. A 23 year old franchise player on pace for 99 points and he is getting paid millions less and in some cases nearly half of what other franchise talents make.

What makes Tavares contract better than Subban and Giroux's is he has that price for 4 more years after this season ends. Giroux is going to jump to over 8 million next year and Subban will likely be in that same ballpark.

PS - When I was looking through some contract numbers I saw Yashin still on the Islanders payroll. Lulz

Tavares has a great contract but imo if we are moneyballing then you have to look at someone making the most impact with the least amount of coin.

A subquestion would be which top liner has the best contract?

Archived