The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL selling out more arenas than the NBA

a lot of it has to do with bill wirtz refusing to allow home games to be televised, among other draconian business practices. when he died and rocky took over, the franchise started turning around.

it was about a month after Bill's death that the attendance started to rise. Fans were still skeptical at first about another Wirtz running the team, but once Rocky started making announcements about televising games, restoring relationships with exhiled legends like Hull, Mikita, and Esposito, and dismissing his fathers cronies like Bob Pulford, the fans realized that Rocky wasnt his father.

People outside of Chicago have no idea just how dispised Bill Wirtz was.

I stopped watching the NBA years ago because it just became boring. And I was a huge NBA fan, too.

Introduce something new to challenge the players. Raise the nets, lower the shot clock time, widen the 3-point line ... something!!! Anything!!!

When I grew up, a lot of that was new and it made for an exciting game. Seriously, we've seen all there is to see. The NBA failed to adapt to player size, talent, and skill.

The NHL has been experimenting and tweaking for years. They've been hungry to be popular, to get the audience. It's about time it started to pay off!!!

Pretty much this. Though I still follow the nba every now and then, to summarize it, the game/product isn't entertaining enough. It's so lame when you come to think of it and doesn't come a surprise most organizations are doing bad.

I used to be a huge fan too but then reality hit me and you come to your sense and see it's pretty boring. Nice to see your favourite team play and whatnot but just a boring product losing value every day.

and you know what is sad? NHL is heading in exactly the same direction...

I disagree strongly here. Although the nhl has become worse in terms of officiating and rulings, it is no where near where the nba stands. Hockey players are passionate to stay loyal to their teams thus why guys like Tavares don't wonder off in free agency to sign on a powerhouse and win. The talent level for the majority is spread out pretty evenly across the league and you can argue every team has a number of star players. And unlike the nba where if the refs are in favour of a certain team to win, in the nhl, if that is the case, the games are low scoring and makes it much more difficult to cheat. Although it is there, much more harder than the NBA where you can bring a team back by putting players on the free throw line.

And unlike the nba, the most NHL top teams aren't powerhouses because all the top FA's sign there, it's development from within the organization and the nhl is much more team based than the nba. NHL 1 player can't really win you anything whereas the nba that is very much the case.

...understand what your saying, but to no degree/extent is the nhl anywhere close to heading where the nba stands.

I don't get basketball. People get way to excited over a dunk. Apparently its more impressive to score 2 points than 3. Its illogical.

3 point shot or a guy flying across the court and slam the ball into the hoop sometimes on opposing players...hmm which sounds more exciting?

People get more excited by a goal which the player dekes a goalie and scores point blank, more exciting then a slap shot from the point never understood it myself.... Some people honestly.

While there is no disputing the Blackhawks had some putrid numbers at the gates for six or seven years.....i never once heard anything about the team moving. Where are you pulling that nugget of information from?

Realy? I may be incorrectly remembering that era. I thought I remembered rumours of that possibility, that the city had stopped caring. Of course I was a half cut college student 10-15 years ago so maybe I'm messing something up there.

NBA product is so terrible. Seems like over half the league is under .500, they got franchises relocating like its going out of style, still coming off that embarrassing fixed games scandal, and it doesn't have the most model atheletes. There is zero parity in a league where your height counts almost as much as your skill. Pass.

My NA sport ranking: NFL, NHL, mammoth gap, NCAA Football, MLB, NCAA Basketball, NBA.

Well, there are not too many guys on the earth that could be debated as worlds best athlete to be compared with Lebron James?

The guy is an absolute beast of an athlete! Explosive speed and jumping, shoulders like a truck, endurance, size nobody can deal with considering his atleticism... And he has ball smarts, and talent off the charts rivaled by few in history.

But, LOL, ogling Lebron aside, the NBA product is pretty soft. And, while Canadian, I played ball for 20 years. It was my sport. I killed my NBA league pass 2 years ago and got Centre Ice The product is better. The only NBA games worth watching are top teams. There are waaay too many soft teams who have no hope. And teams mail in the intensity. You can watch the Canucks play the Leaf's, two middle not top teams, and they get at it!

The NBA has a few problems. Unfortunately too many players come from bad backgrounds, and it reflects in the integrity of the game. It starts with guys who get BS scholarships gift wrapping them through life to the pro's. The US education / economic system impacts. So many guys come from the ghetto, with poor education and habits leaving them poorly prepared. Aside from having gifted athletic skills.

I played summer ball with a guy drafted by the Grizz in the 1st round. He was thick as hammers. And surrounded by all the pimp daddy tag alongs from the hood living the life, without a clue about life skills. He played 5 years in the league. Guys complain about Kassian partying. Its not the same.

Dont believe me?

And those are all ex NBA players there with Rodman.

Now there are plenty of extremely intelligent guys in the NBA. But its a factor.

Combine who makes the NBA with their economic system (the REAL problem), and the league is filled with prima donna's that make CDC's perception of Hodgson look insignificant. Guys get paid more than Sydney Crosby who are not top ten in the world athletes. 10, or was it 15 years ago now, Big Country Reaves got an $80 million dollar contract! It was no surprise people stopped watching the Grizz. Let me tell you, he did not have what it took to compete as a top athlete. The league has problems.

you want the players to deliver fries at you everytime they made a dunk or something? :D

anyway I kinda agree, Nba is becoming boring lately... but I think it's mostly because the league is trying to control the result of the game too much..

Everything is predictable these days.. the big city will win the championship and the small franchise will suffer. Players gather in the same franchise for easy cup instead of stickign to their team and make them better. And holy crap don't get me start with the way they handle the playoffs with all those freaking phantom calls and crap. It's just free throws after free throws when the ref need one team to catch up. Remember dwayne or Lebron and their 20 free throws each day in and day out in playoff games?

the ref scandal certainly doesn't help either..

and you know what is sad? NHL is heading in exactly the same direction...

If they had to dunk from the foul line every time while the opposing team fired flaming arrows at them, and the only way to get 2 points was to deliver fries to a fan in the audience ... sure ... now that might get me excited about the NBA again. ;)

Pretty much this. Though I still follow the nba every now and then, to summarize it, the game/product isn't entertaining enough. It's so lame when you come to think of it and doesn't come a surprise most organizations are doing bad.

I used to be a huge fan too but then reality hit me and you come to your sense and see it's pretty boring. Nice to see your favourite team play and whatnot but just a boring product losing value every day.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. It's just the same thing over and over with different bodies of the same caliber and variations of the same plays.

Thanks for the life lessons Papayas. You'll go far living in your parents basement. Ps: The settings on this board have been off since I logged on over two months ago. I'll give you a lesson as well, don't be a condescending jerk all your life. That business degree and a buck will buy you a cup of coffee.

If they had to dunk from the foul line every time while the opposing team fired flaming arrows at them, and the only way to get 2 points was to deliver fries to a fan in the audience ... sure ... now that might get me excited about the NBA again. ;)

someone sees this should make a game out of it

Realy? I may be incorrectly remembering that era. I thought I remembered rumours of that possibility, that the city had stopped caring. Of course I was a half cut college student 10-15 years ago so maybe I'm messing something up there.

There was a rumor that the family would have to sell the team shortly after Bill's death because of the astronomical estate tax....but thats all it was, just a rumor.

I never heard anything about re-locating the team though...wouldnt really make much sense for the Wirtz's to move the team either. They own half the United Center and that building has been a cash-cow ever since it was built.

They were losing money hand over fist back then. The Blackhawks are still in debt from those bad years. But the debt is owed to Wirtz Enterprises, so Rocky only owes the money to himself.

I used to be a huge nba fan but with all the player movement ie lack of identifiable allegiance to one player with his hometown, add to that the huge EGO parade to the bank and seeing certain players become ABOVE the game, my perception of it was sullied. Why should I care to watch a sport where the camaraderie was stronger off the court than on. The same danger exists for the NHL in the rise of egoism by referee's and the NHL brass (Bettman/Shanahan and moguls et al) and that certain cities are above the game with their chosen players flaunting their privileged status kissing their ring fingers ad nauseum with a wink from the ref and a wink from Shanahan.

I don't get basketball. People get way to excited over a dunk. Apparently its more impressive to score 2 points than 3. Its illogical.

In hockey fans and announcers lose their sh*t when a player dekes his way to some fancy goal.

If all goals are equal why don't they react as amazed when a defenseman scores a standard slap shot goal from the blue line through traffic?

Isn't that the same form of logic? On paper it is all the same.

Or in baseball why do fans get more excited over a strike out than they do a ground ball? Why are they all more amazed when a player hits a 550 foot solo homerun off the jumbotron compared to someone hitting a 2 RBI double into the gap?

If you don't get why than you don't get being a sports fan.

Well, there are not too many guys on the earth that could be debated as worlds best athlete to be compared with Lebron James?

The guy is an absolute beast of an athlete! Explosive speed and jumping, shoulders like a truck, endurance, size nobody can deal with considering his atleticism... And he has ball smarts, and talent off the charts rivaled by few in history.

One that is definitely in the mix

rafael_nadal_12g.jpg

Archived